2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

20 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

The A-League makes Jason Cummings look a good player should not be shopping in it at all

When he was at Hibs his record was 21 goals in 42 games, 25 goals in 49 games and 23 goals in 41 games.

Seems the Premiership made him look a good player too.

6 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Nae bother. He could’ve done, but, the injury concern doesn’t fit the narrative.

Players signs for the benefit of the club said no player, ever. Not me with the issue though.

As I mentioned, it worked to our benefit.

Perhaps reading what was said rather than who said it would help.

From memory was the operation not a precautionary measure? 

He was always going to come back from it....it's a moot point tho, some guys don't resign because other clubs can take a chance on them without a transfer fee....others, like Turnbull resign, knowing they are good enough to get a transfer

I did read what you said bud, I always enjoy your posts , they're a bit off the wall and there's nothing wrong with that.

25 minutes ago, weeyin said:

When he was at Hibs his record was 21 goals in 42 games, 25 goals in 49 games and 23 goals in 41 games.

I'm happy to be corrected but I'm sure he was goalscoring for fun with Hibs in the Championship for a number of years but not so much in the Premiership. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, pretzel said:

I'm happy to be corrected but I'm sure he was goalscoring for fun with Hibs in the Championship for a number of years but not so much in the Premiership. 

I thought he played seasons in both, but you could be right.

He did score quite a few cup goals too, though, including their League Cup final appearance and their Scottish Cup victory.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

Majority of them seasons were in the championship no? Would argue the standard of team in the league is better than it was then hence the reason in his last few SPL seasons he was sub par.

9 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

Kettlewell saying that no Scottish Club could afford Van Veen seems a little silly now.

He didnt say that though, did he ? Did he not say that no one outside Rangers and Celtic could afford him ? 

He said it would take life changing money for a Scottish club to afford him.

That was basically saying, as he's under contract, we would want silly money to sell him to a league rival, but would ask for less if he was being sold outside the country.

• Like 1

Still can't beleive weve not held out for more Gronigen have got a massive budget this summer rumoured to be 15+M giving them our best player for 500K+add ons feels a little under whelming unless it includes a big add on for winning the division which they most likely will

Losing Kelly would be a huge blow. Regarding KVV it’s not long ago he was taking stick. He’s in his 30s and has never had a season like the last one in his whole career and it’s highly likely it won’t be repeated. I don’t think half a million plus add ons is that bad given many would have happily taken 50k for lazy Kevin not that long ago

• Like 1

I’m pretty convinced the add on would be Groningen getting promotion in their first season. We’d maybe get another £100k or so.

as much as KVV has talked well about motherwell etc etc I have no doubt he’ll want one last big pay packet and I can’t blame the guy. He’s been a lower league player all his days (apart from us I suppose if we look at the spl being a big league) and he’s had a proper incredible season. The likelihood of this happening again is slim even tho he is a great big player.
We need to take the money and let him go as imagine the huff he’ll be in all year if he stays and we knock back his chance of the discussed £10k pw? He’s a huffy big sod at the best of times so we may end up with a year of Sligo esq performances from him. 

29 minutes ago, mio said:

I’m pretty convinced the add on would be Groningen getting promotion in their first season. We’d maybe get another £100k or so.

as much as KVV has talked well about motherwell etc etc I have no doubt he’ll want one last big pay packet and I can’t blame the guy. He’s been a lower league player all his days (apart from us I suppose if we look at the spl being a big league) and he’s had a proper incredible season. The likelihood of this happening again is slim even tho he is a great big player.
We need to take the money and let him go as imagine the huff he’ll be in all year if he stays and we knock back his chance of the discussed £10k pw? He’s a huffy big sod at the best of times so we may end up with a year of Sligo esq performances from him. 

I’d hope the add ons include him scoring and then decent chunk if they get promoted. I’d like to think if he scored a barrow load of goals but they don’t get promoted we would still get more money. 

What worries me none of the players  that have been offered a new contract are shouting from the ceiling to sign on, obviously they  and their agents are looking for better deals, but some of them need to take a good look at themselves, apart from Max Johnstone they were and still are pretty ordinary players in my opinion!

7 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

What worries me none of the players  that have been offered a new contract are shouting from the ceiling to sign on, obviously they  and their agents are looking for better deals, but some of them need to take a good look at themselves, apart from Max Johnstone they were and still are pretty ordinary players in my opinion!

As limited players it does make sense for them to try and get the best deal they can get

To be fair a few of them will be away on hols and considering options 

i find it more concerning that we offered so many contracts in the first instance .  As mentioned some very ordinary players who just aren’t good enough . 

goss is one of the few that’s about the right level 

41 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

As sad as it sounds, I don't remember anyone in recent times letting their contract expire and then sign back on. Scott McDonald is probably the exception as he seemed to be allowed to set his own deadline. Goss mentioned earlier in the year in an interview he was desperate to stay but this was at a time when we weren't playing particularly well.

A total assumption on my part but the team is back for pre season on Monday, I wonder if the deadline for players making a decision coincides with that date as come the weekend we're off on that pre season camp.

I suspect the deadline for responding to contract negotiations will be strictly enforced - unless the player is one we really really want and then we will be more flexible for a few weeks.

Our league safety wasn't secured until quite late this season, so some of the offers probably came late in the day compared to recent years.

41 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

To be fair a few of them will be away on hols and considering options 

i find it more concerning that we offered so many contracts in the first instance .  As mentioned some very ordinary players who just aren’t good enough . 

goss is one of the few that’s about the right level 

Casey too??

On 6/15/2023 at 5:43 PM, thewelllfan said:

I'd keep the back up goalie as it would be pointless to let him go?

As for Kelly he's a good shot-stopper not disputing that but if a decent fee came in I'd 100% let him go hes not irreplaceable for us the way KVV will be or Campbell has been.

Every signing we make there's no guarantee will work hence why I prefer when we bring in younger players and move them on for a fee as it attracts other good young players to Motherwell we are never going to retain a quality player for more than 2 years unfortunatley so its amount maxamising the fee we can get for each and every player.

yip change the goalie for some £££££££        sign a new one to a big fanfare  easy peasy

BUT wait was that not what dundee utd done      and signed the big guy from the australian league  who then couldnt keep the proverbial hens oot the proverbial midden      and was probably the main reason they went down

so its a naw from me keep what weve got and build from the back, get a good spine sorted and build round about it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smiddy said:

yip change the goalie for some £££££££        sign a new one to a big fanfare  easy peasy

BUT wait was that not what dundee utd done      and signed the big guy from the australian league  who then couldnt keep the proverbial hens oot the proverbial midden      and was probably the main reason they went down

so its a naw from me keep what weve got and build from the back, get a good spine sorted and build round about it

ooops sorry just read the rest of the comments and it seems its already been pointed out

sorry lads to many days working oot in the sun

On 6/15/2023 at 7:59 PM, weeyin said:

On 6/15/2023 at 8:26 PM, pretzel said:

Jason Cummings is dug shite.
He has 5 (five) top tier goals in Scotland*. 2 for Rangers and 3 for Dundee. 

Liam Kelly also isn't as good as some of you seem to think. I'd keep him but we are paying him far too much money, apparently.

*Stats may not be 100% but near enough

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

Liam Kelly also isn't as good as some of you seem to think. I'd keep him but we are paying him far too much money, apparently.

Kelly is just fine, he did let his high standards slip for a bit this season. I still wake up in a cold sweat at night thinking about Stevie Woods and Craig Samson so I'll personally be enjoying the guys services until he departs. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Busta Nut said:

He's exactly as good as I think, but I l do love a good wages rumour. Especially one that uses hard figures like "too much". 

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic