2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I'm not sure there was an attitude problem there, and he did say this wasn't a slight on the players involved. Instead he said he needed a squad of players that all think they can get into the first team. When players aren't fitting into a system or are clearly out of contention for a place, they're not going to be as motivated, and that's natural.

I'm not good with the level of vitriol the likes of Danzaki, Shields and Maguire are getting. I dont know why some folk take it personally, the players didnt put the contracts in front of us. The didn't join us or re-sign just to piss about the place, or "steal a wage", they have been unable to force their way into the managers plans for one reason or another, and they'll move on and find their level somewhere else.

• Like 3

I think Danzakis situation was a little different in that he didnt speak the language, it was a different culture, he got injured and ended up so far out of the picture that its easy to see why he would be demoralised. Add in a change of manager who wants to play a style you dont fit in to, then that has to be tough for any player.

Good to see that SK isnt shirking tough decisions though. You dont want to see anyone thrown under the bus, but by the same token we cant afford to be a charity either.

Glad a compromise has been reached that allows both parties to move on.

5 minutes ago, MJC said:

Tough talking stuff there from the boss and he’s obviously not afraid to get rid of players just stealing a wage if he has to/if he can. 

None of the players mentioned are "stealing a wage." That kind of pish is ridiculous. There's players in our squad who simply don't fit with what the manager is looking to do. That's not on them, they're available for selection (if fit) and would most likely be happy to play if given the chance.

Players like Shields can be accused of many things, such as not being up to the level needed, but of "stealing a wage"? Not for me.

• Like 6

I mean, is it not normal for people to to hand back wages when they feel they are not one of the best 11 people at their work?

There's always going to be squad players, changes in form, changes in tactics, injuries, etc. Ideally you want 12-25 to be players that could seamlessly switch into the first team, but that's just not going to happen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, maz said:

Some reports now say that Dan Casey is going to sign a new contract. 

That would be excellent if true, I wonder if it does materialise that one of Lamie or Mugabi would be moving on. It's not been too bad a week or so with St Mirren getting landed with Mandron, and Danzaki moving on and by all accounts, it sounds like Shields will be following suit. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, maz said:

Some reports now say that Dan Casey is going to sign a new contract. 

That would be great news as we should be able to get away with McGinn, Casey, Blaney until Butcher gets back.

2 hours ago, Mio Krivokapic said:

That would be very good news

You say that but it seems like he would like to play elsewhere and has missed the whole of pre-season training.

I am a fan of Casey but this is not an ideal scenario if he does sign on for us.

13 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

You say that but it seems like he would like to play elsewhere and has missed the whole of pre-season training.

I am a fan of Casey but this is not an ideal scenario if he does sign on for us.

I dont think Casey has been sitting on his butt on a sun lounger eating and drinking too much, he will  have been training somewhere and  would be ready to play if he comes back or moves to another club if thats the case.

22 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Although its not ideal, I think the market / pool of players we look to recruit from we have to be prepared to compromise at times. With Casey we know what we're getting. He's probably the same as a lot of players, always looking for the best possible deal out there

21 hours ago, David said:

None of the players mentioned are "stealing a wage." That kind of pish is ridiculous. There's players in our squad who simply don't fit with what the manager is looking to do. That's not on them, they're available for selection (if fit) and would most likely be happy to play if given the chance.

Players like Shields can be accused of many things, such as not being up to the level needed, but of "stealing a wage"? Not for me.

He might not have actually used the term itself but SK saying that players walking about the club doing nothing is basically saying that players are stealing a wage. It’s the same in any job, if you aren’t contributing then you are stealing a wage, simple as that. 

30 minutes ago, mio said:

Casey in the promo for the new away kit. Result!! Him and butcher, when he’s fit, at the back fills me with more confidence 

Definitely. I’m surprised and delighted with this news.

• Confused 1

Just now, MJC said:

He might not have actually used the term itself but SK saying that players walking about the club doing nothing is basically saying that players are stealing a wage.

It absolutely isn't the same at all. Those players would be "stealing a wage" if the manager wanted to pick them, but they were making up excuses for not being able to play, claiming injuries that couldn't be confirmed nor denied by the medical team and so on.

Those players walking around the building aren't involved simply because the manager doesn't want to involve them. There's a huge difference there. They are still training diligently, making themselves available for selection. So they are fulfilling their side of the contract that they signed.

They're not "stealing a wage."

• Like 2

We’re a football club. If we have players on our books under contract who are not playing games or likely to break into the first team then they are stealing a wage, end of story.

It might not be a nice or ‘PC’ term for it, but that’s what it is.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, MJC said:

We’re a football club. If we have players on our books under contract who are not playing games or likely to break into the first team then they are stealing a wage, end of story.

It's not "end of story" though, because you're blatantly wrong. 

But let's leave it there. You clearly aren't going to budge, and I'm not going to tell you that you're correct when you're not.

• Like 1

• David locked this topic