2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

9 minutes ago, David said:

It's not "end of story" though, because you're blatantly wrong. 

But let's leave it there. You clearly aren't going to budge, and I'm not going to tell you that you're correct when you're not.

We sign players to play football. If they aren’t playing football, for whatever reason other than being injured then what are we paying them for? To train well? To sing songs and dance through the meadows? If they are not going to play then we move them on and that’s what the manager said yesterday.

But yes, let’s leave it at that.

• Haha 4

Pleased with the Casey news. It helps give us stability and solidity at the back, which is essential in any team.

The fact that we've moved on Danzaki and Mahon shows that we're actively trying to reshape the squad and clear the decks for others to come in.  More to follow perhaps? Maybe a bit bloated in central defence, especially if Sam Campbell progresses.

39 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

I wouldn't be surprised if we put Campbell and ferrie out on loan, and maybe a few others, assuming we take care of their contracts first 🙂

Sam Campbell is one we should have high hopes for. Liverpool and Leeds were fighting over him as a sixteen year old and he did well on trial with Liverpool. A deal was said to be well advanced, with Motherwell reaching agreement with three English clubs. It was up to Sam to make a decision.

Sadly, before a deal was completed he suffered a serious injury and so his progression stalled. After carefully working his way back he is once again coming to the fore. Personal choice, but I would rather he stayed in our first team squad for now rather than going out on loan. This is one player we need to be cautious with and keep under our direct control.

If he is back to anywhere near his pre injury form we will be on to a winner. I am also pretty sure the likes of Liverpool will be monitoring his return.  I understand he is only on a short term contract at the moment so including him in our match day/first team squad might encourage him to sign on for a bit longer. We are allowed a huge number of bench players nowadays so there is scope. In the League anyway. I would certainly rather invest in him than retain all our other centre backs, particularly as Casey has opted to return. Butcher when fit, Casey, Blaney, Campbell, Mcginn as an option, with one of Lamie, Mugabi would be my choice for that role.

11 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Sam Campbell is one we should have high hopes for. Liverpool and Leeds were fighting over him as a sixteen year old and he did well on trial with Liverpool. A deal was said to be well advanced, with Motherwell reaching agreement with three English clubs. It was up to Sam to make a decision.

Sadly, before a deal was completed he suffered a serious injury and so his progression stalled. After carefully working his way back he is once again coming to the fore. Personal choice, but I would rather he stayed in our first team squad for now rather than going out on loan. This is one player we need to be cautious with and keep under our direct control.

If he is back to anywhere near his pre injury form we will be on to a winner. I am also pretty sure the likes of Liverpool will be monitoring his return.  I understand he is only on a short term contract at the moment so including him in our match day/first team squad might encourage him to sign on for a bit longer. We are allowed a huge number of bench players nowadays so there is scope. In the League anyway. I would certainly rather invest in him than retain all our other centre backs, particularly as Casey has opted to return. Butcher when fit, Casey, Blaney, Campbell, Mcginn as an option, with one of Lamie, Mugabi would be my choice for that role.

I didn’t know that about Campbell but, after hearing what you’ve said and suggested, I agree. 

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

Interesting. Thanks for this background. I wonder given the discussion around Max J and contract status what we may be doing differently to protect our interests.   Any idea if he has been offered an extended contract? 

3 hours ago, couttsy said:

Just a RB, LB, centre mid and centre forward before the window closes please. 

We've enough cover at centre half now so I'd like to see Butcher in that centre mid role (when fit).

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

steal: to take something without the permission or knowledge of the owner and keep it

I'm pretty sure the club knowingly gave permission to pay the players they chose to put under contract.

Okay. 

I’ll rephrase it then.

If we are terminating the contracts of individuals who are being embursed to make a material effect for the club on the field of play but are sadly falling short of that expectation for whatever reason which may or may not be any fault of their own, then I think we are displaying prudence and sound judgement. 

That better?

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, MJC said:

Okay. 

I’ll rephrase it then.

If we are terminating the contracts of individuals who are being embursed to make a material effect for the club on the field of play but are sadly falling short of that expectation for whatever reason which may or may not be any fault of their own, then I think we are displaying prudence and sound judgement. 

That better?

Too diplomatic. No place for that on this forum. 

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

Okay. 

I’ll rephrase it then.

That better?

That's quite a climb down from your original statements. Suggesting that anyone not playing football for any reason other than injury is a wage thief is just ludicrous.

Where would we be without fringe players who train hard and keep themselves fit so that they are ready whenever the players in their position are injured / sold /suspended? By your thinking, having a sub keeper who can be at the club for 2-3 years without ever playing (through no fault of his own) is stealing a wage.

21 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

That's quite a climb down from your original statements. Suggesting that anyone not playing football for any reason other than injury is a wage thief is just ludicrous.

Where would we be without fringe players who train hard and keep themselves fit so that they are ready whenever the players in their position are injured / sold /suspended? By your thinking, having a sub keeper who can be at the club for 2-3 years without ever playing (through no fault of his own) is stealing a wage.

That’s not what I’m saying atall though is it? 

What the manager was, or appeared to be referring to was players who were completely out of the picture and had no future at the club. Danzaki, Aitchison being the obvious ones. Then you throw in McKinstry (a loanee who was always going to return to Leeds) and Shields (who was loaned out in January and clearly isn’t in the managers plans). 

I think it was obvious that the manager had identified who was going to feature for him and who wasn’t. Danzaki wasn’t in contention for a start ahead of Miller, Cornelius or Obika towards the end of last season. To give just one example. 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

That’s not what I’m saying atall though is it? 

What the manager was, or appeared to be referring to was players who were completely out of the picture and had no future at the club. Danzaki, Aitchison being the obvious ones. Then you throw in McKinstry (a loanee who was always going to return to Leeds) and Shields (who was loaned out in January and clearly isn’t in the managers plans). 

I think it was obvious that the manager had identified who was going to feature for him and who wasn’t. Danzaki wasn’t in contention for a start ahead of Miller, Cornelius or Obika towards the end of last season. To give just one example. 

The big problem with your argument is that none of the above was the players fault.

They were victims of circumstance. As such they didnt take any action that was fellonious. Therefore they didnt steal anything.

13 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

We've enough cover at centre half now so I'd like to see Butcher in that centre mid role (when fit).

Yeh, it’s an interesting one that and I think he would be good in there (when fit), however he’s played so so well at centre half it would be a big call to move him out of there.

I suppose it'll depend on how the defence does without him at the start the season!

Butcher i suspect is more likely to stay in centre half but it does call out the obvious weaknesses we have in midfield 

last season it was a problem area for us and current status has only worsened . Suspect some of the key signings will come in midfield 

We could do with a Campbell and a Turnbull type . One to win the ball and another how can make things happen

15 hours ago, wellfan said:

Let's hope he signed an extension beforehand. 

He did indeed but it seems for only a year. The official article this morning says he had signed an extension in the Summer but didn't mention how long it was for.

43 minutes ago, pretzel said:

He did indeed but it seems for only a year. The official article this morning says he had signed an extension in the Summer but didn't mention how long it was for.

Yeh, I just clocked that. The official website says he signed a short-term deal in summer 2023 and is contracted until May 2024. 

• David locked this topic