2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

It was bad enough signing Obika who was hopeless for us. Signing a guy who was even worse for St Johnstone is fucking unbelievable. 

Does Kettlewell think talking pish in BBC interviews can replace scoring goals? You genuinely have to wonder what he is thinking about with these signings.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If this is the standard of players we are bringing in then we are in big trouble. 

I am fully aware that we have budget restrictions (hiya weeyin, spiderpig etc) but signing St.Johnstone flops certainly doesn’t bode well. 

As things stand the first team lack goal threat and any sort of creativity and given how much we relied on van Veen last season for goals then you’ve got to be concerned about how we are going to cope without him.

36 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It was bad enough signing Obika who was hopeless for us. Signing a guy who was even worse for St Johnstone is fucking unbelievable. 

Does Kettlewell think talking pish in BBC interviews can replace scoring goals? You genuinely have to wonder what he is thinking about with these signings.

What was it about his performances for St Johnstone that makes you rate him as worse than hopeless?

The arsenal boy is exactly the type of signing I’d like us to land . Youngsters from Premiership clubs who need an opportunity .

we need someone who is either up and coming and needs a chance to excel or a more seasoned striker who had a record of goals and needs a bit of a break and new start .

from the Links shared one of the loanees is perfect

13 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

What was it about his performances for St Johnstone that makes you rate him as worse than hopeless?

He made no impact in a season and a half in our league. St Johnstone fans all said he was hopeless. 

If this is actually true we will have 4 strikers and presumably that will be it for the window up front. Scary. 

Also worth pointing out Bair wouldn't be a loan as he has been released by St Johnstone.. Both pretty uninspiring names, to be honest. If you're signing Bair, you'd have been as well keeping Shields and playing him in a front two.. 

EDIT Also worth noting that Obika is a doubt for Saturday. Part of me already thinking that he will spend a lot of time out..

Would the manager sign them if he thought they were that shite ? After all he did a great job last year turning the team around that no one thought he could do , so i will go with his judgment for the now.  Then I think i will wait to see them play and how he plays them before i piss ma pants.

• Like 1

I think I am much worried about how broke we actually are.The January transfer window I think has basically saved us but left us in a awful state I don’t even know what to expect from this season as the quality has left and we have signed mediocre in my view.

However if we don’t finish above St Johnstone this season then it’s a total failure they are so honking with a worse squad than us.

Kettlewell is starting to sound like Robinson now in every interview when he talks about money how skint we are.

I'm glad the forum didn't exist when Lama TT signed a Mr Arnott from the juniors.
Funny thing is signing any player is a gamble and that's the market we operate in, we're bottom feeders looking for the odd gold nugget in the dirt, or develop local talent, where the fuck has everyone been for the last 132 years (Boyle's scatter cash year omitted, but even then we signed some expensive shite)

• Like 2

Some people need to get a grip of themselves. Absolutely no need to be losing the plot over a guy who hasn't signed for us yet. In terms of budgets Livi will be the only one definitely worse off than us yet people are going apo-fucking-plectic when we don't sign Harry Kane and Mbappe. Take a deep breath and calm down. 

9 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Also worth pointing out Bair wouldn't be a loan as he has been released by St Johnstone.. Both pretty uninspiring names, to be honest. If you're signing Bair, you'd have been as well keeping Shields and playing him in a front two.. 

EDIT Also worth noting that Obika is a doubt for Saturday. Part of me already thinking that he will spend a lot of time out..

Obika is out he’s injured. 

9 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Kettlewell is starting to sound like Robinson now in every interview when he talks about money how skint we are.

We’re always ‘skint’ or so the club keep telling us.

7 hours ago, Cameron_Mcd said:

In terms of budgets Livi will be the only one definitely worse off than us yet people are going apo-fucking-plectic when we don't sign Harry Kane and Mbappe. Take a deep breath and calm down. 

Absolutely agree, after all we’re Motherwell not Barcelona.

We’re a wee club punching way above our weight.

I’ve been proudly riding the rollercoaster that is Motherwell FC for years and am aware that we were in the first division in the early eighties.

There’s still plenty of time for us to bring in signings and welcome them to our great wee club as we continue to exist to improve people’s lives.

’Mon the Well 

I remember when Robbo was in charge I did get a bit of bored of the ""we're skint" talk.  I never seem to hear it from other managers.

We will get money in for Johnston and KVV and have cleared out a few players to get off the wage bill.

If we were struggling that much I would look to sell Kelly and get cash in and replace with Carson but I don't think our position is anywhere near that.   COYW

10 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

It does seem like Kettlewell has found Robinson's blarney stone and added a bit of LinkedIn patter. 

It's all self promotion and he obviously knows there's a good chance none of his signings will impress so he's getting his excuses in early. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We should be trying to sign players of the standard of KVV, Moult, Cole, Watt, Long, Lang.

Even Curtis Main is better than the guys we are bringing in. 

i'm genuinely not sure if this is a wind up, I'm going to say it is, and move on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

I remember when Robbo was in charge I did get a bit of bored of the ""we're skint" talk.  I never seem to hear it from other managers.

We will get money in for Johnston and KVV and have cleared out a few players to get off the wage bill.

If we were struggling that much I would look to sell Kelly and get cash in and replace with Carson but I don't think our position is anywhere near that.   COYW

Is Carson not still under contract with St mirren? There was rumours of him wanting out (not sure if that's happened) if not, would they not want a fee for him?

Edit - Just seen the end, and I think you are talking very much a hypothetical, worst case thing here and not something we should actually do.

35 minutes ago, Neilwell86 said:

i'm genuinely not sure if this is a wind up, I'm going to say it is, and move on.

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Aww Is the Troll hungry this morning?

He has a point, I don’t see anything wrong with what he has said. I don’t think it’s a suggestion that we actually sign any of those players mentioned, rather players of those standard who are quite a bit better than what we currently have on our books.

• David locked this topic