2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

33 minutes ago, MJC said:

He has a point, I don’t see anything wrong with what he has said. I don’t think it’s a suggestion that we actually sign any of those players mentioned, rather players of those standard who are quite a bit better than what we currently have on our books.

A glowing endorsement from the trolls padwan, ok then.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Neilwell86 said:

i'm genuinely not sure if this is a wind up, I'm going to say it is, and move on.

Where's the wind up?

I'm pointing out to the brown nosers who are already making excuses that we can't sign anyone decent that they are talking pish. 

We have signed good players in the recent past and if a manager is saying that he can only manage decline in the squad then he's no good to us.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Where's the wind up?

I'm pointing out to the brown nosers who are already making excuses that we can't sign anyone decent that they are talking pish. 

We have signed good players in the recent past and if a manager is saying that he can only manage decline in the squad then he's no good to us.  

I normally disagree with a lot of what you post but I think you're taking unfair flak here. You're not suggesting we sign Kane or Haaland, you're suggesting players of a level we have signed before. I said to someone last night we should be looking for the striker equivalent of the Macedonian midfielder. Someone who is maybe a bit of a gamble but who has a degree of a track record...

On a more general note, it seems like for some you aren't allowed to question the quality of any new signings. For me, it's fair game. But if you dare to suggest that you think someone is not good enough on the basis of your track record, you get shouted down on here. If people want to suggest they think Bair isn't good enough on what they saw at St Johnstone, they're entitled to. I remember people being really unimpressed we were signing Brian Martin. I say this as someone who believes that sometimes it just clicks for a player at a certain club and not at others (John Sutton) so am generally willing to give folk a chance. But I respect people's right to base their opinion on someone's track record without a response of "saying he's pish before he's played for us"...

It's all about opinions...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I normally disagree with a lot of what you post but I think you're taking unfair flak here. You're not suggesting we sign Kane or Haaland, you're suggesting players of a level we have signed before.

He's taking flak because he slagged off those very same players when we signed them (Higdon being a classic example, but there are many others).

He also complains about the level of every player we sign and points out we should be signing much higher quality without ever providing a single example of any player we could have signed that meets those criteria.

It's pointless, boring and a pretty tired trope for every player we sign to be labelled as useless before they even turn up at Fir Park.

"It's all about opinions" is why climate change deniers still get air time on TV and some people in the US still think Trump is president. Sometimes wrong is just wrong and trolling is just trolling.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Neilwell86 said:

Is Carson not still under contract with St mirren? There was rumours of him wanting out (not sure if that's happened) if not, would they not want a fee for him?

Edit - Just seen the end, and I think you are talking very much a hypothetical, worst case thing here and not something we should actually do.

I didn't say we should sell Kelly, was just saying if we were that skint that was an option but I don't believe we are in that position 

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

Where's the wind up?

For me, most of those players, like Wilkinson, were relative unknowns, we signed them hoping they would turn decent, and thankfully some did.

I am also not having the Callum Lang shout, undoubtedly a decent player and doing well down south, but he was largely hopeless for us was he not. Same with Chris Long, 95% of fans were happy to see the back of him.

Nobody had heard of Moult, Tony Watt from memory wasn't a hugely popular addition, poor attitude etc etc, St Johnstone and hearts fans made sure we knew this, folk knew he was a good player, but didn't expect him to be as important as he was. 

KVV obviously turned up with the fan fare, from the budget Bergkamp video, but was useless until the first game of the season against Hibs. Devante Cole was another unknown (other than being Andy Cole's son). We will make good additions this summer, rarely does a summer pass that we don't add one or two successes. 

I do get what you mean by the whole, we are skint, have to sign dross rhetoric. it feels like every manager we have has the same spiel, whether that comes from the higher up the food chain, who knows, tbf, we wouldn't exactly boast about loaded either though, there is a balance to be had between pleading poverty and having a few quid in the bank and how you approach it.

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

I normally disagree with a lot of what you post but I think you're taking unfair flak here. You're not suggesting we sign Kane or Haaland, you're suggesting players of a level we have signed before. I said to someone last night we should be looking for the striker equivalent of the Macedonian midfielder. Someone who is maybe a bit of a gamble but who has a degree of a track record...

On a more general note, it seems like for some you aren't allowed to question the quality of any new signings. For me, it's fair game. But if you dare to suggest that you think someone is not good enough on the basis of your track record, you get shouted down on here. If people want to suggest they think Bair isn't good enough on what they saw at St Johnstone, they're entitled to. I remember people being really unimpressed we were signing Brian Martin. I say this as someone who believes that sometimes it just clicks for a player at a certain club and not at others (John Sutton) so am generally willing to give folk a chance. But I respect people's right to base their opinion on someone's track record without a response of "saying he's pish before he's played for us"...

It's all about opinions...

tbf, whenever we make those sort of signing's they are generally the ones that flop, badly.

historically we are good at signing nobodies.

6 hours ago, MJC said:

Absolutely agree, after all we’re Motherwell not Barcelona.

We’re a wee club punching way above our weight.

I’ve been proudly riding the rollercoaster that is Motherwell FC for years and am aware that we were in the first division in the early eighties.

There’s still plenty of time for us to bring in signings and welcome them to our great wee club as we continue to exist to improve people’s lives.

’Mon the Well 

NOT PUNCHING WAY ABOVE OUR WEIGHT STOP THIS SHIT

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

22 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

I can’t be arsed checking but how many goals did KVV score before and after SK arrival? perhaps he has a knack for getting the best out of players? I really don’t know but just a thought. 

KVV had hit double figures for goals regularly throughout his career. Theo Bair hasn't scored 10 goals in his career.

Bair was one of the least effective strikers in the league. He has a single goal in his whole time with St Johnstone. I'm ok with picking up guys who have had a down season but they need to have shown something they can bounce back to. Bair has never shown it at any point and he should not even be in consideration.

If Bair signs then SK has obviously had a look and must see something in him.  None of us are football managers so need to trust his judgement and give the player a chance.   We are far too quick judge a player after about 20 mins into a debut.  I am not convinced about Wilkinson but I will give him 3 months before making a judgement 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, DunnyMFC said:

Ojamaa didn't score many goals before he joined but made a positive contribution when he was with us.

Not saying Bair will provide similar. But if he does sign I hope he proves me wrong.

Ojamaa was 20 when he signed with us. Bair is going to be 24 in a month.

He is well beyond the development part of his career. At this point he is who he is. And it isn't good enough to be playing for anyone in the Premiership. Signing him is throwing money down the drain. Filling out the squad with guys who aren't up to the standard has been a problem at Fir Park for years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Casagolda said:

Ojamaa was 20 when he signed with us. Bair is going to be 24 in a month.

He is well beyond the development part of his career. At this point he is who he is. And it isn't good enough to be playing for anyone in the Premiership. Signing him is throwing money down the drain. Filling out the squad with guys who aren't up to the standard has been a problem at Fir Park for years.

Just how many time have we heard were signing players to improve the team not just to fill a jersey

On 7/28/2023 at 8:35 AM, steelboy said:

We should be trying to sign players of the standard of KVV, Moult, Cole, Watt, Long, Lang.

Even Curtis Main is better than the guys we are bringing in. 

There is nothing wrong with mentioning these players as being of the standard we should be aiming for.

The problem is that is is a post that is easy to make with the benefit of hindsight. Watt in particular was a massive risk. It just happened to work when it had not really worked for other clubs before or since. 

The question for Steelboy or anyone else being critical of the signings is who is out there now,that Motherwell can afford, that would guarantee the output of the players mentioned? Name a name.

The risk is always there that it might not work. A success rate of 25% is probably about as good as we are likely to get. I think Motherwell have been more successful than most of finding gems, Higdon, Moult and KVV being the most obvious modern day examples 

Imagine the reaction if Motherwell were announcing the signing of a young Dougie Arnott today. A player from the Junior leagues. It would be mayhem.

1 minute ago, star sail said:

Imagine the reaction if Motherwell were announcing the signing of a young Dougie Arnott today. A player from the Junior leagues. It would be mayhem.

I agree with alot of what you say but here I actually think the opposite is true. There was a bit of excitement on here when we had the lad Fowler on trial. The possibility of us discovering a hidden gem is always an appealing one. I think the negativity tends to come when it's a known quantity, someone like Bair, that fans have seen and been unimpressed by already. Not that it's always justified, as you say Watt and Sutton are just two players who have underwhelmed elsewhere but did well with us. But even if not justified, it is understandable...

15 minutes ago, star sail said:

Different era.

We brought Dougie Arnott to the club knowing it would take two or three seasons to get him up to speed,

In the pre Bosman era you could sign players as 'projects'.

That's not really the case any more, especially 25 year olds.

• David locked this topic