2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

24 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I assume it would be a RWB, which would be a wee bit harsh on O'Donnell, he was excellent against Hibs.

Then again if it's cover for both WBs then that would help.

Personally. I would not need RWB as McGinn can play there also. We have defence cover as Blaney and Butcher once fit also can play centre defence. LWB would be good but Souare did just fine at weekend, getting more sharp with more game time

3 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

Are there any updates of when Butcher will be fit again?

I have heard various times but not any definite timeline from MFC apart saying that he would be missing weeks of the start of the season!

I've seen nothing confirmed but a lot of strong rumours suggesting November...

Barry Maguire on loan to Kidderminster Harriers until January.

Good luck to him but their needs to be some sort of review of how we are evaluating players as it's clear he's not up to the standard of our league but he was still extended. We seem to be getting rid of problem contracts but still taking more on at the same time. 

He was rated by Alexander, and was doing pretty well in his system (for wuat its worth) before he got injured. Then we started wanting midfielders to play football again, so there was no place for him once he got back. He is also injured a lot.

Oh, he is also two footed.

I agree that we offered some weird extensions under GA, which seemed to be more about who did the dirty work that GA wanted, instead of how good they were.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We seem to be getting rid of problem contracts but still taking more on at the same time. 

In your opinion of course which is almost all signings are either shite or pish. The issue here is two fold. 1) Managers / coaches opinions differ on players skills or lack of them and 2) It is only some time in the future can it be said that a contract should / should not have been awarded. Example Zdravkovski has a contract given to him, played minutes so far, when and who makes the decision that the contract was right or wrong.  SK obviously does not see the the same skill set in players as GA did. Our next manager will be the same.

I am not surprised McGuire has been loaned out, the surprise is the level of the team he has went to, with respect to Kidderminster I would have thought Barry could have played at least in a Division 2 team in England and Championship team in Scotland, I wish him well and hope he can get a better team by playing in National league.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Good luck to Barry Maguire, but it was obvious even to me quite some time ago, that he wasn't going to make it with us. Apparently he didn't cut the mustard on loan with Dundee either. 

Is best for all parties, we get Barry off wage bill for time being and he gets a new opportunity.  I wish him well, another who I didn't think was good enough in later days but again some of the stick the lad took was ridiculous 

Good luck to him.  It's like the opposite side of the Max Johnston coin. 

Barry was at the club for over a decade, came through the ranks and re-signed at 22 when perhaps he should have been cut free.   Quite similar to Cornelius who I believe we offered a contract (in terms of age and not proven to be good enough) . 

Learning - players who are better than our level know it and likely to leave rather than re-sign. By 22 we should know if good enough.

The chances are 
The really good players will leave before 22 ,we will get some cash for them, either development fee or Turnbull style.
Those not good enough will want to stay and we need to be a bit more ruthless. 
We need to find more of the Hammels, Lasley's who are good enough but not too good. 

Not easy , we could do with a gaffer who''s good enough and not too good to be lured away.  Here's hoping SK is that guy. 

• Confused 1

Irrespective of your opinion of Barry Maguire, with his leaving we're a bit light in midfield. I know Kettlewell wants to run with a smaller squad but we have five midfielders, one of whom is just about to turn 17. With Slattery's habit of picking up a suspension and the chance of injuries, should we expect a midfielder to come in this window..?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Irrespective of your opinion of Barry Maguire, with his leaving we're a bit light in midfield. I know Kettlewell wants to run with a smaller squad but we have five midfielders, one of whom is just about to turn 17. With Slattery's habit of picking up a suspension and the chance of injuries, should we expect a midfielder to come in this window..?

Add to that, one is currently injured and yes, we are light.

24 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Butcher’s main position is defensive mid, although, like Paton, he’s also injured. 

56 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Great point.  Think thats us down to 5 in total.   I'm hoping Zdrakovski is a good holding midfielder but yes suspect we need someone else. Having someone who can coordinate/hold the ball in the middle of the park will be great.  A bit like Butcher has done at the back. 

17 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Great point.  Think thats us down to 5 in total.   I'm hoping Zdrakovski is a good holding midfielder but yes suspect we need someone else. Having someone who can coordinate/hold the ball in the middle of the park will be great.  A bit like Butcher has done at the back. 

Goss. 

On 8/16/2023 at 7:37 AM, Spiderpig said:

Furlong won't be back we have no need for him anyway Souare will do just fine as for Spittal I'd be happy for him to have no competition for his place and start every week, since SK arrived he's been one of our best performers.

Even one game on - this is still entirely the incorrect option. Souare is injury prone.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Yes mika looked best option. Why could we not have used wages of wilkinson plus bear plus 1 other to keep big kev? Clubs run by amateurs. 

There is no way we could have kept KVV, our wage structure couldn't have managed it.  In the end we managed to sell him and get a good transfer fee . We move on

40 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Yes mika looked best option. Why could we not have used wages of wilkinson plus bear plus 1 other to keep big kev? Clubs run by amateurs. 

I'd say it would be amateur hour if we spent all of our money on one player then just prayed he doesn't get injured, suspended or lose form.

• David locked this topic