2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Dunne’s tackle was robust but out of control given he clearly knee-capped Biereth in the process. The latter negates the former, so, whichever way people chose to look at it, I find it hard to believe that some are defending him and/or claiming it wasn't even a foul.

It's simple: Dunne’s actions endangered an opponent because he wasn't in full control of the tackle. It was idiotic and likely a result of Robinson instructing his big guys to play on the edge to nullify (not kneecap) known danger. 

And to those who use the ‘Dunne slipped argument’, give it a rest. Professional football players are trained to play to the conditions, so they know exactly what they're doing and can/cannot get away with. 

It was a terrible tackle and I hope Dunne feels like a right twat given he's seriously injured a fellow pro. As for Robinson, he's a coward in this instance. 

We now need to sign another messiah. 

• Confused 1

Frustrating to lose a player who looks to be the real deal. 

It looked a poor challenge. Irrespective of intent, motive, accident blah blah blah we've lost out on a new signing that we were excited about.

Solution, go out and get another loanee in who will score goals + replace Maguire + any other player who is leaving 

A sprinkling of quality throughout the team will put a smile on our frustrated faces. 

• Like 1

"Not that kind of player" is the phrase usually rolled out.

I think it's true most players don't intend to crock an opponent. Plenty, however, dive in with the intent of stopping them by any means necessary without thinking about consequence. That is still reckless. 

1 hour ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

I thought watching it at the game it was a red card all day long and seeing that has not changed that opinion.

Going in with both feet, no control, reckless, high and right in front of that wee prick Colum, if VAR had been in use on Saturday would they have reviewed it, maybe it certainly deserved to be.

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

Plenty of people doing community service run errands for grannies, doesn't mean to say they never committed the crime. A horrendous tackle, which had he been on the receiving end, would have resulted in, him complaining. 

It was a horrendous tackle.

Its a red card in my book.

That wasnt my point.

Cowardly tackle by dunne that came as no surprise as having seen him enough for us,the guy couldn't tackle a fish supper.he took a leaf out the richard tate handbook of trying to do a motherwell player every time he played against us,I hope any good will towards dunne is gone and he gets it tight anytime he plays against us the cunt that he is.

45 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Maybe fact it's slow motion but I am not convinced he has deliberately went out to do Mika.

I don't think he has. As many have pointed out, he did the same when he played for us. The truth is, he's just not very good.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, David said:

I don't think he has. As many have pointed out, he did the same when he played for us. The truth is, he's just not very good.

Im with you , it was poor tackle, reckless . 

Mugabi was sent of in 2 mins v's His and our fans were in uproar , he didn't mean it etc.  The truth is he lunges in, can mistime and put opposition at risk. Doesn't mean he's out to end peoples career. He's a big strong lad who's clumsy, as in Dunne. 

My concern is  our best defender is injured, our best striker is injured and our best midfielder is 16 years old.   This is the time to get quality reinforcements.  Spend a few quid now to ensure we're not panicking in Jan. 

The fact that we are a week from the window closing and we are 4/5 starters short is criminal. Right from the moment when he brought Paton to the club it was clear Kettlewell didn't have a clue what he was doing in the transfer market. 

I said at the beginning of the window he had never made a good signing and with a week to go it remains true. 10 days to turn it around. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, steelboy said:

The fact that we are a week from the window closing and we are 4/5 starters short is criminal. Right from the moment when he brought Paton to the club it was clear Kettlewell didn't have a clue what he was doing in the transfer market. 

I said at the beginning of the window he had never made a good signing and with a week to go it remains true. 10 days to turn it around. 

You're wasted on here

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Kettlewell did a very good job in stabilising us last season and deserves his chance to prove himself but he certainly hasn’t covered himself in glory as far as his recruitment has gone this summer.

We knew KvV was leaving at the end of last season and preparations to get in an adequate replacement(s) should have been made. Obviously it was going to be nigh on impossible for us to find another 29 goal a season striker but for us to be approaching the end of the window with a crocked and aging Obika, 6ft 4ins Wilkinson who looks like he’s never headed a football in his life, Bair who scored once for St.Johnstone last season, Efford who is himself injured and now a loanee who will probably not play for us again(obviously not his or the managers fault to be fair) is absolutely dismal. We could well be forced to throw in a 17 year old Mark Ferrie in the hope that he can offer us something up front.

Not good at all.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mfc said:

….adding fletcher now would just give us another big guy up front with not a lot of movement,we need the opposite,were crying out for pace and movement up front.

Connor Shields was that type of player, had a decent goal record before joining us but it didn’t work out partly because - I believe -our fans helped destroyed his confidence. 
Hopefully our current strikers and anyone else we sign at least get a chance to settle before being verbally abused or booed when they come on. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Stuwell2 said:

Connor Shields was that type of player, had a decent goal record before joining us but it didn’t work out partly because - I believe -our fans helped destroyed his confidence. 
Hopefully our current strikers and anyone else we sign at least get a chance to settle before being verbally abused or booed when they come on. 

I disagree. Shields was hopeless before the boo boys started; hence, they started. The booing didn't make him any more shite than he already had proved to be at this level. However, I agree that the verbal abuse and constant booing of our crap players is pathetic behaviour.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

As we are skint and you appear to be judge and jury on Kettlewell after only 2 league games played this season Who would you have signed for free to start.

Its obvious that he has said many times that players have to leave to bring in others, it looks like Lambie, Efford, McGinlay are the 3 that we need to move reading between the lines.

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

it was clear Kettlewell didn't have a clue what he was doing in the transfer market. 

And you do obviously, who would you have signed then enlighten us all with your wisdom or why not just have a day off from the shite patter and give us all peace.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

As we are skint and you appear to be judge and jury on Kettlewell after only 2 league games played this season Who would you have signed for free to start.

Its obvious that he has said many times that players have to leave to bring in others, it looks like Lambie, Efford, McGinlay are the 3 that we need to move reading between the lines.

We spent 5 million pounds on wages last year. We are hardly skint. 

We have a manager, assistant manager and head of recruitment who are all paid to find players for a living. If the best they can come up with is Bair, Paton and Obika then you need to question if they are up to the job. We have 10 days to find out. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

And you do obviously, who would you have signed then enlighten us all with your wisdom or why not just have a day off from the shite patter and give us all peace.

42 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

So with all the professional expertise and insight the Club have at their disposal, what is your assessment of their recruitment policy so far? No cop out of " It's early days" or " Who would you bring in" or "We are skint".     From what you have witnessed so far what are your first impressions? Marks out of ten if you like.  Could/Should they have done better? Have they done their job well? 

Us fans always have thoughts about who we think might improve us as a team, but we don't employ a team of professionals, with a detailed knowledge of the market, who are paid to scour that market all year round, succession planning for the likes of KVV and Max J moving on and looking to possible injuries to key players.

Where I do disagree with Steelboy is that his focus seems to be purely on Kettlewell and also there is no benefit in slaughtering players who I believe are trying their best. But as a fan he is entitled to express the concerns that he and others have. My view is that there are others within the Club who need to look at their own performance. From those charged with overseeing finance and investment, to those controlling structure and policy, to those with final say on recruitment and retention. Given the restrictions within which we are told Kettlewell has to operate, it is remarkable what he has achieved since he took over the Managerial role. How long can that last is my worry.

Bottom line, initial evidence suggests our recruitment has been extremely poor but that failure does not lie solely at Kettlewell's door. The issues are much more deep rooted than that. But football being football, we will now win the Scottish Cup and finish top four.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

We spent 5 million pounds on wages last year. We are hardly skint.

Should be even easier then (even though we are slashing the wages budget this season).

Been waiting patiently to see your list of top players we can afford (and who want to sign).

Now would be the perfect time to share it.

No chance of winning the Scottish Cup. We’ll probably draw St.Mirren again in the 4th Round or some other top flight side and that’ll be that. You never know though, we might get lucky and draw a lower league side, like Dundee Utd and Moult will score against us while his fanboys in the East Stand blow him kisses and throw their knickers at him.

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic