2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

14 minutes ago, thewelllfan said:

He clearly prefers butcher as the CCB in the 3 and Zdravkoski looks like more of a box to box for me on the small sample size we've seen of him 

The St signing is the priority for me but we definitely need the other 3 positions as well the boy Spencer looked ok as a Lwb but wanted to come inside too much for me would prefer a left footer in that position.

The Cb also would be quite important because I don't know about you but Mugabi never fills me with confidence and Paul Mcginn can get bullied in certain games so a more physical centre-back with experience wouldn't go a miss for me.

IF Fitzwater would come I think he'd be an excellent signing. Fletcher and Penney seem like 2 deals that can be done. On the midfielder front not really sure who we can get but I'd definitely like to strengthen there aswell.

I'd ideally move Mcginley on. Keep Efford till Jan and move him on then.

Have you seen any of Kettlewell's press conferences at all? Heard any chat of a tight budget? "One in, one out" ring any bells? I think 3-4 signings is ambitious to say the least... At this point, I"d settle for a striker with some pace (a commodity we have little of) and possibly a left wing back if Souare is going to be out for more than a month...

3 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Nope. I'm vetoing this one. No fucking way are we having a guy who thinks it's alright and cool to have JET on the back of his shirt. It's his initials? You trying to tell me if his first name had been Paul, he'd have had PET on the back of his shirt? On good taste grounds, this one is a hard no from me...

I would be up for it,  absolutely gorgeous and my favourite gladiator......whoops......wrong JET 😜

13 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Have you seen any of Kettlewell's press conferences at all? Heard any chat of a tight budget? "One in, one out" ring any bells? I think 3-4 signings is ambitious to say the least... At this point, I"d settle for a striker with some pace (a commodity we have little of) and possibly a left wing back if Souare is going to be out for more than a month...

While i have heard the 1 in 1 out quote multiple times the same thing has been said by multiple of our previous managers before signing 3/4 guys on deadline day. As i said above the St is the priority and from the sounds of the rumours it will be Steven Fletcher. The other 3 areas mentioned all need strengthened wither we actually strengthen those areas remains to be seen. 

Fletcher would be a good signing, even at 36 years old. He’d certainly be a better option up front than Theo Bair. Knowing our luck though we’d sign him and he’d get injured during his first training session.

23 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

To add on to the above a couple of the free agents I'd be looking at

Ben Heneghan-Cb

Ah, big Ben.

Will always remember him if only for the worst defensive display of all time against Partick Thistle.

Pure hokey cokey stuff at Firhill.  🤣

4 hours ago, thewelllfan said:

While i have heard the 1 in 1 out quote multiple times the same thing has been said by multiple of our previous managers before signing 3/4 guys on deadline day. As i said above the St is the priority and from the sounds of the rumours it will be Steven Fletcher. The other 3 areas mentioned all need strengthened wither we actually strengthen those areas remains to be seen. 

I'm aware that previous managers have mentioned that our budget isn't the largest in the league. Something feels very different this summer though. The comment that "we won't be paying any transfer fees" in a summer when we have taken a sizeable transfer fee in and two decent amounts in training compensation is new. Previously we've spent smallish fees on players where we think there's a chance to make a profit. Seems the pursestrings are tighter this summer than before. Given the money wasted before, that may be a good thing...

38 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'm aware that previous managers have mentioned that our budget isn't the largest in the league. Something feels very different this summer though. The comment that "we won't be paying any transfer fees" in a summer when we have taken a sizeable transfer fee in and two decent amounts in training compensation is new. Previously we've spent smallish fees on players where we think there's a chance to make a profit. Seems the pursestrings are tighter this summer than before. Given the money wasted before, that may be a good thing...

Our previous squad size was massive (for several reasons) and unsustainable, so I'm glad we appear to have tightened the purse strings. I think we maybe also have a lesser playing budget than planned this season due to the cock up over the works to the front of the East Stand meaning they had to be redone. Douglas Dickie (I think) seemed to hold his hands up to the latter during the most recent Well Society AGM.

31 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Did we realise the sizeable transfer fee up front? Two decent amounts in training compensation?

Think the outlook is short term pain, long term gain whilst reversing what essentially has been a gravy train for some.

46 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Did we realise the sizeable transfer fee up front? Two decent amounts in training compensation?

Talking perceptions. Last summer we brought in two established SPL level players without such substantial departures. I agree that belts need to ge tightened. Gravy train? Well, our captain certainly isn't worth what he allegedly takes home. Beyond that, don't pretend to know what other players are earning. And don't really care too much as long as the club can afford it. And that's what we're talking about. Club cutting it's cloth better than before...

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Talking perceptions. Last summer we brought in two established SPL level players without such substantial departures. I agree that belts need to ge tightened. Gravy train? Well, our captain certainly isn't worth what he allegedly takes home. Beyond that, don't pretend to know what other players are earning. And don't really care too much as long as the club can afford it. And that's what we're talking about. Club cutting it's cloth better than before...

🤔 Not what I was asking…

Plenty of merit in what you’ve just said & I’d align with that. The gravy train I allude to is the recruitment view taken that has too many not contributing as they should - certainly don’t question salaries offered. 

5 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So it’s going to be a “who”? Or “awe naw”?  😄

If we were interested in Fletcher (and no one knows if we were), clearly we couldn't agree terms. And I'm fine with that. Because frankly I don't know how much we should be pushing the boat out for a 36 year old that hasn't had a preseason. Have we not gambled enough this summer..?

15 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

If we were interested in Fletcher (and no one knows if we were), clearly we couldn't agree terms. And I'm fine with that. Because frankly I don't know how much we should be pushing the boat out for a 36 year old that hasn't had a preseason. Have we not gambled enough this summer..?

Agree! We offer what we can afford and have to work with players that we can afford. 

Oliver Glen Shaw (born 12 March 1998) is a Scottish professional footballer who plays for EFL League One club Barnsley. He has previously played for Kilmarnock, Hibernian, Stenhousemuir, Ross County and has just signed a season long loan deal with Motherwell F.C. and represented Scotland at the under-19 and under-21 levels.

Just now, Yabba's Turd said:

Oliver Glen Shaw (born 12 March 1998) is a Scottish professional footballer who plays for EFL League One club Barnsley. He has previously played for Kilmarnock, Hibernian, Stenhousemuir, Ross County and has just signed a season long loan deal with Motherwell F.C. and represented Scotland at the under-19 and under-21 levels.

And played under SK when he was at County.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Fletcher and Oli Shaw sounds a lot better than Bair and Oli Shaw. 

If Shaw is our final signing it's been a bad window. 

Mbappe and Shaw sounds even better but, much like Fletcher, Mbappe was unwilling to come to Fir Park so there's no point dwelling on it...

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic