2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Maguire is a reasonable squad player and can help us see out games for the last 20 minutes if we're ever winning. I know he isn't rated that well by our support but being a guy who's come through the ranks here I hope he gets a decent reception if he ever gets game time.

• Like 1

It wasn’t that long ago McGuire was arguably our best midfielder before he got a bad injury.
In my view he does have all the capabilities of being a decent midfielder.

I just think he appears to be a boy with no confidence or belief in himself and unfortunately when that’s the case it’s unlikely he could perform with Spartans never mind Motherwell. 

He was really coming onto a game before he got injured at tynecastle. This has been the story of his career so far, small runs of games broken up by injuries. He has all the physical attributes, but makes too many mistakes on the ball.

He will be just fine as a bench player for the rest of our season, in place of one of the 4 weans we currently put on there. And with his much heralded two-footedness, it's like we've just signed two players!

3 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

From MFC Twitter:

"Barry Maguire has returned to the club following the expiry of his loan spell with Kidderminster Harriers. "

The thought of him, Mugabi and Paton on the pitch at the same time has invaded my nightmares!!!!!!

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Anyone know nything about Max Willoughby? Apparently he's a Motherwell defender who Rangers, Bournemouth and Norwich are after, but to be honest, I've never heard of him.

Maybe He'll follow in Reece McAlear's footsteps?

On 1/9/2024 at 6:45 PM, Mccus28 said:

The thought of him, Mugabi and Paton on the pitch at the same time has invaded my nightmares!!!!!!

They're all three very useful squad players for us so I wouldn't worry too much.

Seems we're being linked to a teenaged Canadian defender named James Cameron who currently plays for Vancouver.

22 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Seems we're being linked to a teenaged Canadian defender named James Cameron who currently plays for Vancouver.

He was on trial with Luton's development squad, so he's obviously rated, but we really don't need to bring in a teenager who has played around 20 games to help keep us up.

25 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

They're all three very useful squad players for us so I wouldn't worry too much.

I was expecting an absolute belter from 30 yards!

Apparently Luton & Everton interested too.

Where's this Watt chat coming from? Is it just common sense because he's in danger of spending a full season somewhere, which would be weird for him?

I like Penney, but does he not hate Scotland?

15 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

Where's this Watt chat coming from? Is it just common sense because he's in danger of spending a full season somewhere, which would be weird for him?

A photo of him holding 3 eggs on Twitter. Seriously.

Some rumours at last. Who knows, not me, there may be an atom of truth in them.

Penney would a strange one. He didn't like being at Motherwell (maybe just working under SH). He started well but his form fell off a cliff and with the best will in the world he couldn't defend. From what I can gather he's hardly played since leaving us. He'd be an odd signing.

17 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

He was on trial with Luton's development squad, so he's obviously rated, but we really don't need to bring in a teenager who has played around 20 games to help keep us up.

Like Biereth, who had played 13 games and is only 20? 

2 minutes ago, David said:

Like Biereth, who had played 13 games and is only 20? 

Fair point, although 2 years can make a big difference at that stage, as can the club you're with. Doesn't always work this way, but I'm sure we'd expect more from an 18 year old coming from Arsenal than an 18 year old with Alloa. Experience wise, the Eredivisie is clearly of a higher standard than the Canadian Premier League.

The boy might turn out to be a great player, but if Kettlewell wants signings who will make a difference between now and May and our finances are as stretched as we're repeatedly told, I doubt he should be looking at someone who has been playing professional football for 6 months at that level. We've enough kids of our own with skelfs in their arses.

Just now, David said:

Kettlewell is known for his love of Canadian amateur-level players. He hangs his hat on those kinds of signings.

Yeah, I know you think certain players aren't fit to play professional football. How's that going?

• David locked this topic