2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

24 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If a player signing a PCA with another club feels like they've been put in an awkward situation, I suppose there's something they could do about that.

I'll be really disappointed if Spittal is off, whether it be to St Mirren or elsewhere. Like any of our players he's hardly irreplaceable, but he's been one of our best players so far and surely a guy we'd be looking to keep if we're hoping for any kind of continuity in the team next season.

To be fair I think  it’s not been confirmed that he actually signed it yet, so perhaps it will be a catalyst for Motherwell to get him signed up for another few seasons. I’d prefer he Stayed rather than went to another team in our league. 

8 minutes ago, Yassin said:

Is there any actual substance to the Spittal stuff? I can see the logic behind it but if it was this far along you'd expect some of the more ITK folk on here to be aware of it.

Might've changed, but the last time I looked on Pie & Bovril there wasn't anything 'definite' and the St Mirren fans didn't seem too fussed either way. They seemed more amused by claret & amber knickers getting in a twist about it.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wunderwell said:

So we have 6 contracted players for next season. Plus if we want, Halliday.

That's absolutely shocking.

Frankly how many of them would you be desperate to resign. For me a couple at most. This is a double edged sword. Its a bonus so we can clear out tons of deadwood and start afresh. However our piss poor precarious league position means its difficult to get players signed up because we dont know what division we will be in so the finances are uncertain.

• Like 1

The only link we have with nahmani is that his loan is ending at st Mirren, and some vague comment that his parent club could loan him somewhere else, including Scotland. We haven't been mentioned other than forum speculation.

7 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

The only link we have with nahmani is that his loan is ending at st Mirren, and some vague comment that his parent club could loan him somewhere else, including Scotland. We haven't been mentioned other than forum speculation.

Just saw it on twitter that we are linked with him 

26 minutes ago, ForthThistle said:

I’ve literally got the fear. 

The boy from st  Mirren. Is that all we can muster in the time all other strikers are gone. 

miss management is an understatement.

I'm not sure that us not being able to compete with clubs that have a bigger budget than we do is mismanagement. 

Well if Mandron gets picked ahead of him that’s not a sterling recommendation !!

so maybe we end up having to use our young guns? Maybe we have to just bite the bullet and play with one forward, so midfield have to take on the responsibility of chipping in with some goals. If we sign a dud and play them we’ll effectively be playing with 10 men so just stick with a loaded midfield and Bair up front. I do wonder that going with 2 Players up front actually weakens us? 

Have fans on here not learned the lesson of Theo Bair? Can we not wait and judge what someone does in claret and amber if they sign? Am I enthused by the name Nahmani? Not particularly but Kettlewell has managed to get a tune out of someone who scored one goal last season so I'm willing to trust he might see something in him...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, MelvinBragg said:

Have fans on here not learned the lesson of Theo Bair? Can we not wait and judge what someone does in claret and amber if they sign? Am I enthused by the name Nahami? Not particularly but Kettlewell has managed to get a tune out of someone who scored one goal last season so I'm willing to trust he might see something in him...

Exactly this. 

• Like 1

It's also all over twitter and everywhere else on social media that Kettlewell only made one decent signing in Biereth. What about Davor and Gent? I completely understand that fans aren't happy but it's just shades of when folk weren't happy with Alexander. Like when Slattery got dropped after he went off the rails after a bereavement. Alexander was at fault for not playing him when he was more than likely trying to look after him. 

Same old. The Motherwell team gets announced on twitter and someone has to pick fault with something. 

The results have been poor lately but I personally think Kettlewell has been a breath of fresh air for Motherwell and if he goes I'll be sorry to lose him. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Frankly how many of them would you be desperate to resign. For me a couple at most. This is a double edged sword. Its a bonus so we can clear out tons of deadwood and start afresh. However our piss poor precarious league position means its difficult to get players signed up because we dont know what division we will be in so the finances are uncertain.

Spittal for one. McGinn for two.
Try sign Gent on a permanent but could be beyond us.
I'd offer Kelly a contract to ponder but on less terms than he is on.

The six are Casey, Blaney, Davor, Miller, Paton and Bair.

47 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Have fans on here not learned the lesson of Theo Bair? Can we not wait and judge what someone does in claret and amber if they sign? Am I enthused by the name Nahmani? Not particularly but Kettlewell has managed to get a tune out of someone who scored one goal last season so I'm willing to trust he might see something in him...

Fair point on the Bair lesson. I still pose the question of playing with 2 up top versus having that extra man in midfield. 

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If we end up taking a dud from St Mirren that has to be the end of Daws.

And if we don't sign anyone will that be the end of him too ?

5 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

St Mirren fans saying Robinson will announce two pre contract agreements after Window closes if one of them is Spittal do him and the club seriously think he wont get pelters until the seasons end potentially affecting his performances. PCA should not allowed to be made public 

I seem to remember O'Hara signed a pre contract with them around March time in 2022. I can't remember him getting much stick tbh but he thoroughly enjoyed Lamie's late equaliser against Livi which secured the top 6 place for us after it. St Mirren seem to have plenty of money to burn, I liked O'Hara but I don't think it was worth paying a premium for both him and Mandron.

57 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I hear what you're saying about Bair. However, I don't think the January window is the time for another project or gamble up front, particularly given we've been seriously struggling to win games. And anyway, all the names are rumours, and a rabbit may still be pulled out of the hat.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Well if Mandron gets picked ahead of him that’s not a sterling recommendation !!

Signing a player who plays second fiddle to a player we released, who in turn played second fiddle to the crock we re-signed, would take some spiel from Kettlewell to justify.  

• David locked this topic