2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Definitely the worst pant wetting January window I've seen. I do consider some of it over the top. I will wait and see what the signings do before signing our demise. Certain facts still remain St J, Ross County and Livingston haven't exactly strengthened to any great degree and from the outside still basically look shite. 

• Like 1

The only real saving grace is that livingston,st johnstone and ross county don't seem to have strengthened to any great degree but at the same time it doesn't take away from our own dealings.for 3 forwards to have left and only 1 brought in simply isn't on,were 1 injury away from a complete disaster and with our luck it won't be long until it happens.the raft of full back signings is strange,I get replacing montgomery so we can keep gent further forward but will we go with a loanee or the kiwi boy over o'donnell on the other side,I'm not so sure we will.theres free agents out there so not all is lost,i seen the likes of flo kamberi mentioned over on p&b which is a decent shout,joe efford is now a free and the way we're business the now is more likely.

Its been a decent window as a whole,

Like the Nicholson and Halliday signings.

The loans are all punts so here's hoping they do well and we'll see what Elliot can offer once he's fit.

But i do feel we're still light up top and lacking an experienced CB to organise the 3

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mfc said:

The only real saving grace is that livingston,st johnstone and ross county don't seem to have strengthened to any great degree but at the same time it doesn't take away from our own dealings.for 3 forwards to have left and only 1 brought in simply isn't on,were 1 injury away from a complete disaster and with our luck it won't be long until it happens.the raft of full back signings is strange,I get replacing montgomery so we can keep gent further forward but will we go with a loanee or the kiwi boy over o'donnell on the other side,I'm not so sure we will.theres free agents out there so not all is lost,i seen the likes of flo kamberi mentioned over on p&b which is a decent shout,joe efford is now a free and the way we're business the now is more likely.

The club would never touch that bastard Efford. He can go take a running fuck to himself. He was a disgrace feigning injury to force the club into letting him go. If that bastard was the last striker on the planet I wouldn't touch him. An absolute disgrace of a pro.

4 hours ago, purestate said:

Nope - as pointed out by a few we have older less mobile/dynamic players who can fit in with a central three. So perhaps the full backs are attempt to stop the crosses coming in and provide better forward support. 

We have signed a bunch of kids on loan so that's unlikely.

Kettlewell is a tit who can't handle transfers is the more likely answer and he panicked and brought in two bodies we don't need because he's a bullshitter and thinks he can spin it to make himself look less incompetent. 

You can dress it up any way you like but if someone had said on 1st January that by the time this window closes we will have lost Biereth and the only forward replacement we signed was a kid from Blackburn with zero track record of scoring goals then it would have seemed unbelievable and totally unacceptable. But that’s where we are now.

An absolute shambles of a transfer window.

• Like 1

We went into the window with too small a squad .

we left the window with an even smaller squad .

we needed to improve several key areas 

centre backs - not done 

fullbacks - time will tell

midfield - done 

forwards - unlikely to have improved 

Appreciate it’s a hard window , esp for strikers but a loaner or 2 wouldn’t have been that hard . Equally shocking re centre backs - not a hard role to fill 

I'm past the KVV thing now as Killie are throwing silly money at it.

Maybe we'll pull a rabbit out of the free agent hat, or announce something today.

Think Nicholson will be good in terms of attacking threat.

Hopefully Vale brings something to the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

You can dress it up any way you like but if someone had said on 1st January that by the time this window closes we will have lost Biereth and the only forward replacement we signed was a kid from Blackburn with zero track record of scoring goals then it would have seemed unbelievable and totally unacceptable. But that’s where we are now.

An absolute shambles of a transfer window.

As I said above, the outcome of this window was entirely predictable.

It's no surprise to me that Kettlewell, who I think should've been sent on his way before January, appears to have presided over another generally poor transfer window.

8 hours ago, wellgirl said:

No it wasn't. We clearly couldn't afford his wages 

Correct. Folk need to realise we`re skint. We had to get players out, before we could even make an approach for anyone. If they then don`t want to accept what wages we can afford, then it`s not the managers fault. It`s the Motherwell world we now live in folks. Depressing that Killie and St Mirren can out manouvre us finacially, but that`s the reality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wellsince1976 said:

Correct. Folk need to realise we`re skint. We had to get players out, before we could even make an approach for anyone. If they then don`t want to accept what wages we can afford, then it`s not the managers fault. It`s the Motherwell world we now live in folks. Depressing that Killie and St Mirren can out manouvre us finacially, but that`s the reality.

That is depressing. Fan ownership don't work with such a small fan base and committee led decisions. We need to show initiative. Think outside the box. Innovation. Sadly the model don't allow if. I do think we could have signed can Veen but we have a very risk averse model. Least he won't celebrate when he scores against us. 

4 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

That is depressing. Fan ownership don't work with such a small fan base and committee led decisions. We need to show initiative.

We have made cup finals, Europe, 3rd place with fan ownership. Fan ownership provides the manager with roughly £2.5 million a year to spend on players. Fan ownership has brought in Carson, Gillespie, Aldred, Kipre, Hartley, Goss, Cole, Watt, Van Veen. 

The problem isn't the ownership model it's the fact that the manager and head of recruitment are useless. 

6 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

The club would never touch that bastard Efford. He can go take a running fuck to himself. He was a disgrace feigning injury to force the club into letting him go.

If he can fool all our trained medical professionals into thinking he's injured, I know who I'd be letting go.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, wellfan said:

As I said above, the outcome of this window was entirely predictable.

It's no surprise to me that Kettlewell, who I think should've been sent on his way before January, appears to have presided over another generally poor transfer window.

Our transfer policy has been a shambles going back to the Robinson era.

I've said it before but it seems to be 'who can we get' rather than 'what do we need'.

It's been youth development that has consistently saved our ass whether it be Turnbull, Campbell, Scott, Johnston and hopefully Miller.

1 hour ago, geek24601 said:

Disgraceful window. The whole club is in free fall and let’s be very honest we will be lucky not to be in the playoff. Not pushing the boat out to bring in Van Veen is atrocious.

Don’t agree.  Two/three of our better players up til now were younger loanees and we’ve brought in some who look promising.  

have a look at who other clubs have been able to bring in, especially those who we’ll be competing with in bottom six   

Are there any names there people would like to have seen at Fir Park and think are guaranteed to improve those other clubs position.  

Too many people getting their Y fronts in a twist. I thought we were one decent striker away from having a good window. We added Obika the day after last year quickly followed by the likes of Casey and Butcher, hopefully we still have some irons in the fire.

For those suggesting we "pushed the boat out" for Van Veen, how far should we have pushed? Are you 100% convinced he'd have got the goals to keep us up? So you're guaranteeing he's fit and in form? And guaranteeing he won't get injured? Any player can get injured, can we afford to have stretched our budget for a guy only for him to be injured?

Pushing the boat out for Van Veen would have been lunacy...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

He should never have been signed. Thats no reflection on him as there is a player in there. However he just didn't suit our style of play. That should have been known before he was invited to put pen to paper.

Obika? We knew full well that he had serious injury problems. Why then give him a 2 year deal?

Biereth? A year long loan with a club like Arsenal who have previous for recalling players -  a bit risky.

Bair  - a long term project, who performed better than expected.

Shaw - a panic signing. 

We are where we are with strikers, but I hope we have someone lined up to come in over the next few days. If we don't, thats a serious failure.  

Not gonna disagree with that.

My response was more in relation to letting strikers go before we got replacements in.

I clouded it a little by making reference to Obika, because he is still with us. You are correct. He should never have been given 2 years. 6 months like Souare would have been fine given Mandron apparently knocked us back (not that I wanted to keep him anyway).

If we go into the second half of the season with the strikers we have, then absolutely, its a failure.

But it grinds my gears when you get post after post calling the manager clueless, out out his depth etc.

Pretty sure SK knows what we have isnt enough. Pretty sure he knows we need at least 1 more striker in and that he has been trying like fuck to get one, because Im pretty sure he knows his job depends on it. The thought that he has been sitting on his arse watching all this unfold and doing nothing is for the birds.

We are where we are due to other clubs being able to outbid us for players and the boards reluctance to break our wage structure. You can argue all day long about the rights and wrongs of that, but its not down to Kettlewell.

Similarly with the barbed comments about full backs. SK has been getting slaughtered for playing SOD at RWB and for having a lack of width in the team and no cover for Gent. It looks like he has addressed these issues, but because we havent got a striker in, suddenly we have too many full backs. Its not an either or. You can recognise both weaknesses in the team and try to address both. 

FWIW, I do agree with your recent posts about this board needing a range of opinions, both negative and positive and I am aware of the fact that I am regarded as being firmly in the "Happy Clapper" brigade. Thats not to say, I dont see anything wrong with the club, some of the decisions taken, performances etc, but when you are swimming in a sea of negativity someone has to provide the ying to the yang.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

For those suggesting we "pushed the boat out" for Van Veen, how far should we have pushed? Are you 100% convinced he'd have got the goals to keep us up? So you're guaranteeing he's fit and in form? And guaranteeing he won't get injured? Any player can get injured, can we afford to have stretched our budget for a guy only for him to be injured?

Pushing the boat out for Van Veen would have been lunacy...

According to Scott Burns and Graeme McGarry we went all out to try and get KVV a few weeks ago only to realise that St Mirren had already been sniffing about and offered far more dosh. His run of goals last year was a delight to watch but I just don't see him repeating that, I think Killie will get to enjoy the Kev we saw for the best part, one week magic then the next massively frustrating. Obviously we aren't privy to finances and such but a few reliable sources were saying Killie pushed the boat right out to pick up the tab for the majority of his wages, they must fancy their chances of getting a European spot secured.

• David locked this topic