Richard Foster - Head of Coaching

Well-Made

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/03/01/richard-foster-named-head-of-coaching/

RICHARD FOSTER NAMED HEAD OF COACHING

18:37
Richard Foster named head of coaching

Richard Foster has been appointed head of coaching. 

Joining the club and starting immediately, Foster will oversee coaches within our academy at all youth levels.

Alongside this, he will be coaching our Under 16s team and will be involved at Under 18s level. With Stuart Kettlewell’s role of lead development coach vacant, since he became first-team manager, Foster will be coaching the Under 18s until a replacement has been appointed.

Foster began his career at Aberdeen where went on to make over 200 appearances for the Dons.

In his time, he turned out for Rangers, Ross County, St Johnstone, Bristol City and Partick Thistle while also being selected for Scotland duty in 2012.

He was assistant manager with USL Championship side Detroit City for the 2022 season before returning to Scotland earlier this month.

“This is a really exciting opportunity for me at the perfect time,” Foster said.

“Motherwell is renowned for developing young players that go on to have sustained careers within the game and they have some great, young talent coming through with excellent people working here.

“This all makes me feel very fortunate to be given this role and I’m looking forward to getting started.”

16 minutes ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Never mind former players, we seem to be fond of appointing Sportscene pundits. Is that Kettlewell, Leeann Chrichton and Richard Foster all at the club now?

Both industries appoint those who can talk a good game…

4 hours ago, Toxteth O'Grady said:

Never mind former players, we seem to be fond of appointing Sportscene pundits. Is that Kettlewell, Leeann Chrichton and Richard Foster all at the club now?

To be fair, I think every ex-player that can string a sentence together ends up as a pundit at some point.

Can’t understand why we’ve made this appointment. The guy is a troublemaker.

April 2017
Brought St Johnstone in to disrepute after an on-pitch brawl with teammate Danny Swanson. Both suspended and subsequently fined four weeks' wages.

August 2019
Involved in incident with manager Tommy Wright on training pitch. Dropped from first team.

25 May 2020
Released from contract for criticising the club chairman for not taking advantage of government's furlough scheme calling it "morally shocking".

Boy can our board pick them!

Looks like he's taking the spot that Clarkson left. I didn't personally have anyone in mind for this role, so I guess we'll see how it goes. I'm not going to worry myself about someone getting in trouble for voicing their opinion three years ago. From what I remember, a lot of people were into that at the time. 

Hopefully SK will appoint his assistant soon so that Clarkson can get back to his real job.

It's going to be a fun few weeks with all the appointments that are pending. Hopefully we're still picking up points so that all we have to complain about is a job title or whether someone was a bad boy once.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, El Grew said:

April 2017
Brought St Johnstone in to disrepute after an on-pitch brawl with teammate Danny Swanson. Both suspended and subsequently fined four weeks' wages.

August 2019
Involved in incident with manager Tommy Wright on training pitch. Dropped from first team.

25 May 2020
Released from contract for criticising the club chairman for not taking advantage of government's furlough scheme calling it "morally shocking".

Maybe St Johnstone were the problem and not him.

8 hours ago, El Grew said:

April 2017

August 2019

25 May 2020

I guess you don't like him then, even by this forum's standards of slaughtering and writing guys off before they've kicked a ball or started work that's a feckin ridiculous post 🤦‍♂️

Not happy with this appointment because he used to play for Rangers and us getting people in who are tarnished by their association to that vile institution does nothing for the image of our great wee community club. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

48 minutes ago, MJC said:

Not happy with this appointment because he used to play for Rangers and us getting people in who are tarnished by their association to that vile institution does nothing for the image of our great wee community club. 

🤦‍♂️ seriously are you and EL Grew in some sort of pessimistic, never positive, doom and gloom online Trolling society, you have to be with posts like that using phrases like "vile institution" and " great wee community club", its trying too hard mate, or is it son?

25 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

🤦‍♂️ seriously are you and EL Grew in some sort of pessimistic, never positive, doom and gloom online Trolling society, you have to be with posts like that using phrases like "vile institution" and " great wee community club", its trying to hard mate, or is it son?

I assume MJC is saying that with his tongue firmly in cheek. 

52 minutes ago, MJC said:

Does that include at least 2 of our first team squad who support Rangers who probably go and watch them from time to time and heaven forbid might even wear a Rangers scarf at the game.

Not to mention our 4 ROI players who probably support the other half of the Old Firm and do the same.

Is that what you want us to become or as David says just at the wind up?

Welcome to the club Richard. You probably havent't been here since the play off when Marvin Johnson ripped you a new one and you spent the day with a wee petted lip commiting petulant fouls

😃

3 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Good god George, you must have done a lot of research and have a major dislike for the chap to post this. Perhaps the guys just passionate about his football, you of course will have been a model employee!!!!!. 

Information easily accessible via internet. Time will tell.

My employment record has got nothing to do with it and is my business but for the record, I was an exemplary employee. :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

I guess you don't like him then, even by this forum's standards of slaughtering and writing guys off before they've kicked a ball or started work that's a feckin ridiculous post 🤦‍♂️

I have no feelings towards the guy either way. I merely stated publicly available facts that show he has been a trouble maker in his past. Whether or not that occurs here at FP, time will tell.

As my post being a “feckin ridiculous post” this is a public fans forum where everyone is free to air their views, opinions comments, remarks etc. Constructive criticism and disagreement with is part of that but there’s no need to ridicule. So in the interests of balance I’d like to state that your’s is a “feckin ridiculous post” and that we agree to disagree.:yes: :no: 👍

So, in summary, the guy has a 20 year career and played 644 games, but we shouldn't hire him as a qualified coach because of one fight on the pitch and one "incident" with Tommy Wright where we don't even know what happened.

As for the third situation, you misread wikipedia. When his contract was not renewed, he said it was "morally shocking" that clubs like Ross County were not talking advantage of the furlough scheme. He wasn't released because he criticized the club. So no need to be outraged at that one.

Look forward to the same posters being outraged next time we discuss Willie McVie, Stuart McLaren or Ally Mauchlen (to name a select few).

• Confused 1