Celtic v Motherwell 22/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

17 hours ago, MJC said:

One of my all time favourites that day. The way it happened just couldn’t have been better, couldn’t have been any sweeter and couldn’t have been anymore gut-wrenching for them. Even almost twenty years later they still haven’t got over that day and they never will and that is brilliant.

Along with sickening their arrogant, self righteous hoardes in every stand at Fir Park that day and the ones crammed into pubs or in front of their TVs, that Celtic team was full of horrible, dislikable characters like Chris Sutton, Neil Lennon, Jackie McNamara and Alan Thompson and managed by that slimy, poisonous shit stirrer Martin O’Neill. So to ram it right up all of them in the manner we did was absolutely fucking delightful.

And let me be clear on this, it wouldn’t have been anywhere near as enjoyable and satisfying, for me at least, had it been Rangers that we had beaten to deny them the title. I’ll always be grateful to Rangers for winning their game that day otherwise Celtic would still have won the league at our ground. 

Personally i loved that day AND the playoffs v Rangers. Both great days and similar get it right up their expectant fans on both occassions. 

36 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

I also dislike Celtic more than I dislike Rangers. Getting beat 3 times in a week by them a few years ago did it for me. Between Sinclair diving, Brendan Rodgers and his mind numbing "there was contact" pish, and their fans being just fucking insufferable throughout it all, my dislike for them slightly edges the other arsecheek as a result. Whilst still very much disliking Rangers, I would much much rather see them win the league than Celtic.

It's painful to watch but look at the absolute fucking state of this. Still makes my blood boil. 2.15 seconds.

And I'm an athiest if that matters.

Just feel Rangers have a massive chip on their shoulder after their demise, the fans gloating about past history is never ending when let's face it on current day they are only marginally better than the rest of us which given what they spend is ridiculous, Celtic are streaks ahead of everybody including Rangers.

Cannot stand both cheeks but just feel Rangers have a horrible cockiness about them which isn't justified.

6 hours ago, grumpy said:

I remember a cup win in about 1975, I'd have to go searching for an exact date. We were 0 - 2 down at half time and won 3 - 2, Pettigrew scored twice, can't remember who scored the other, Vic Davidson possibly. That was a great day, greater team.

Skippy Sunday could have been better if he had squared the ball to Gerry Britton, I would have loved to have seen the look on his face if he had a tap in against his beloved Celtic. (I suspect it would have hit the corner flag though)

From memory Ian Taylor scored from a free kick in that game. Loved Willie P's winner as he dragged  Roddie MacDonald and Fat Pat McCluskey around the final third before neatly finishing in the far corner.

IIRC Kenny D ballooned a great chance over the bar at the Taggart's End in the dying minutes: a wee shame for him soanitwuz.

All particularly sweet since at half time I had had  to endure the  patronising "You're a good wee team really" patter from two Sellick fans in clerical garb in the main stand who  had miraculously disappeared by the final whistle.

We also in  that period beat Celtic a good few times at Celtic Park, including the famous  2-3 "Chance of a lifetime for Pettigrew!" match (still avaiable on YT).

"And   it   is   THERE!"

My Rangers supporting pals are just deluded arseholes in denial, whereas my Celtic supporting pals are sanctimonious pricks. Their blue and green tinted vision only serves to highlight their lack of critical and independent thought. Morons. 

3 hours ago, David said:

Some proper "Rangers fan without the bus fare" patter right there. 

Some proper “west of Scotland Celtic influenced” retort right there.

Disliking Celtic more than Rangers does not equate to supporting or even liking Rangers.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

We also in  that period beat Celtic a good few times at Celtic Park, including the famous  2-3 "Chance of a lifetime for Pettigrew!" match (still avaiable on YT).

"And   it   is   THERE!"

Remember the Celtic team in the 80's and 90's was brutal, light years away from what they have now, they only got their act together after wee Fergus mccann saved them and the investment cash from the likes of dermot Desmond started flowing in

26 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Always reminds me of growing up in Hamilton. "So...when rangers play Celtic who would you want to win?".  Me. "Neither...I support Motherwell"....."Aye ..but if you had to pick one who would you pick?". Me "NEITHER!!.......I SUPPORT MOTHERWELL!!!!" used to do ma Heid in

"Who's your second team?

Motherwell reserves" 

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Remember the Celtic team in the 80's and 90's was brutal, light years away from what they have now, they only got their act together after wee Fergus mccann saved them and the investment cash from the likes of dermot Desmond started flowing in

And the Celtic fans were fuming about McCann, screaming for him to be ousted because he never spent any money (when in reality he, unfortunately for us, put the club on a firm financial footing that has left them in their current position).

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

Perhaps, but you can only play the team in front of you. We'd had a pretty shocking record at Celtic Park until the mid-70s, if my memory is correct, and so going there to see us win was brilliant.

I wasn't thinking of the 80/90s. Those five-goal thriller games were in the mid-70s. I think our wins at CP  began under the managership of Ian St John and continued for a few seasons. I haven't checked the records in 'Well Again but I think that's correct.

9 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

Perhaps, but you can only play the team in front of you. We'd had a pretty shocking record at Celtic Park until the mid-70s, if my memory is correct, and so going there to see us win was brilliant.

I wasn't thinking of the 80/90s. Those five-goal thriller games were in the mid-70s. I think our wins at CP  began under the managership of Ian St John and continued for a few seasons. I haven't checked the records in 'Well Again but I think that's correct.

Sounds about right to me, again without checking.

Don't forget Andy Lynch day, what a laugh that was. :D

Hoping we play well tomorrow and any points are a bonus. Regardless of results tomorrow we go into the split in 8th position, much preferable to 9,10,11 or 12 based on our recent form, we should have enough to keep us out of the play off spot. Just hope we can achieve mathematical safety ASAP. 

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Scott Brown used to have passing accuracies in the 90%s, but all of them were back to his centre halves. Spittal at least doesn't hide like some of his team mates, and, more importantly, didn't when things were bad mid-season. Maybe if some of the others had put in the same effort he did we wouldn't have been in the position we were. He isn't the best player I've ever seen, but he is far from the worst.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, grumpy said:

Sounds about right to me, again without checking.

Don't forget Andy Lynch day, what a laugh that was. :D

Hilarious: for some reason I ended up in the old enclosure for that night game (the only other time was a Texaco Cup-tie with Notts County) and laughed my Gove off at the defensive meltdown that evening.

Oh dearie, dearie me 😂!

10 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Thompson was a feking wank of a man, he had an agenda against us, that said its Celtic even today VAR would check that and agree with the ref.

I never ever ever buy into referee paranoia but you are absolutely right, Thompson simply did not like us one bit and went out his way to fuck us at EVERY opportunity.

• Like 1

I really feel that we could sneak a draw today. It would be a huge point if we can get it 

Of the matches mentioned above, the 4-2 semi final game was my favourite. One of the best nights ever, football or not, with some world class goals thrown in For all I enjoyed the play offs eventually it was a nerve shredding week that I would not like to experience again.

Skippy Sunday did nothing for me other than the normal satisfaction that comes from beating the OF. It had been an average season generally for Motherwell and I have never really understood the joy with which some Motherwell fans celebrated that result. Each to their own I suppose.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, star sail said:

Skippy Sunday did nothing for me other than the normal satisfaction that comes from beating the OF. It had been an average season generally for Motherwell and I have never really understood the joy with which some Motherwell fans celebrated that result. Each to their own I suppose.

For the entire week leading up to that game all we were being told about was how Celtic were coming to Fir Park to win the league. How their fans had bought tickets for the home ends in their thousands and there was nothing we could do about it except sit, watch then slink away to leave them to celebrate winning the league at OUR home ground. That their obnoxious, sanctimonious, smug, arrogant followers were going to party in our stands as they cheered Martin O’Neill, Chris Sutton, Neil Lennon etc parading the league trophy around FP.

So to stop them doing all of that, to rip it out their grasp and hand it to their bitter rivals with minutes to go and get the satisfaction and the glory of seeing them all deflated, broken and in tears was absolutely epic. 

Each to their own, absolutely, but to me only winning a trophy would top the feeling I got that day. We’ve had bigger and more important results over the years since that day, but 22/05/05 was just so, so deliciously sweet.

E35BD01E-00FF-4AC2-BEDF-F9B5D867804D.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJC said:

And as if there aren't already enough reasons to dislike Celtic, there's also Tom Boyd.

The last Motherwell FC captain to lift silverware or not the man is an absolute wank.

sorry MJC i cant agree with you as regards Tom boyd the guy is not an absolute wank 

hees a fuckin torn arsed bitter WANK of a man 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Spittal is a bit like Goss, in that he is a decent footballer, but not so great on the defensive side and prone to switching off and dropping his man. He has been much better under Kettlewell than he was under Hammell or Alexander, probably because Kettlewell has set the team up to get the best out of the players he has at his disposal and cover up for the deficiencies. With Tierney and Danzaki, the only obvious replacemements, both still coming back from injuries, there is no way Spittal will or should be dropped for this game. We need some sort of creativity in the team and if we dont go 2 up top today, as is likely, then he is the player most likely to get up in support of KVV. He is far from perfect, but a far better player than some of our support give him credit for.

• Like 1