Celtic v Motherwell 22/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 4/21/2023 at 4:56 PM, grumpy said:

I remember a cup win in about 1975, I'd have to go searching for an exact date. We were 0 - 2 down at half time and won 3 - 2, Pettigrew scored twice, can't remember who scored the other, Vic Davidson possibly. That was a great day, greater team.

Skippy Sunday could have been better if he had squared the ball to Gerry Britton, I would have loved to have seen the look on his face if he had a tap in against his beloved Celtic. (I suspect it would have hit the corner flag though)

Was that not the same season we then lost to Rangers in the semi after being 2 up at half time to a penalty after a Derek Johnston dive on the half way line. The Celtic game (I think) was the first Motherwell score I remember

8 minutes ago, cambo97 said:

Was that not the same season we then lost to Rangers in the semi after being 2 up at half time to a penalty after a Derek Johnston dive on the half way line. The Celtic game (I think) was the first Motherwell score I remember

I’ve tried expunging that memory but it’s still there: one of the lowest points I can recall supporting MFC, made worse by the fact that Pettigrew was fouled in the Rangers penalty box by Greig just a few minutes before Johnston’s dying swan act near the 18 yard box.

And then the hailstorm came to make it worse.

And let’s not forget their 20 minute pitch invasion in the 3-5 game a few seasons later either.

Bitter, Moi? Just a wee tate…..

2 hours ago, MJC said:

For the entire week leading up to that game all we were being told about was how Celtic were coming to Fir Park to win the league. How their fans had bought tickets for the home ends in their thousands and there was nothing we could do about it except sit, watch then slink away to leave them to celebrate winning the league at OUR home ground. That their obnoxious, sanctimonious, smug, arrogant followers were going to party in our stands as they cheered Martin O’Neill, Chris Sutton, Neil Lennon etc parading the league trophy around FP.

So to stop them doing all of that, to rip it out their grasp and hand it to their bitter rivals with minutes to go and get the satisfaction and the glory of seeing them all deflated, broken and in tears was absolutely epic. 

Each to their own, absolutely, but to me only winning a trophy would top the feeling I got that day. We’ve had bigger and more important results over the years since that day, but 22/05/05 was just so, so deliciously sweet.

E35BD01E-00FF-4AC2-BEDF-F9B5D867804D.jpeg

I do understand that to a point MJC and I have felt anger and frustration when playing both sides of the OF but by being dragged into that bitterness and hatred as Motherwell fans we become no better than either Rangers or Celtic who collectively have stained the culture of life in the West of Scotland for a century.

It can be difficult sometimes but I try to focus on Motherwell's positive achievements rather than getting caught in the bitterness of the OF rivalry.

I did take joy from Motherwell winning that day but I took no joy whatsoever from having a helping hand in Rangers winning the league.

Let's not kid ourselves, had the role been reversed and we had been playing Rangers that day the build up from the press and their fans would have been exactly the same. Both Rangers and Celtic have proved that time and again.

• Like 2

Onto today's game and I would like to see Aitchison or McKinstry start ahead of Mandron. Maybe even bring Paton in for Spittal. I have liked Paton so far, always looks busy and wanting the ball. One for the older readers but maybe Paton has found the right place with us!! Sorry 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Onto today's game and I would like to see Aitchison or McKinstry start ahead of Mandron. Maybe even bring Paton in for Spittal. I have liked Paton so far, always looks busy and wanting the ball. One for the older readers but maybe Paton has found the right place with us!! Sorry 

Yes, Simone a bit more mobile up top with KVV to press and a bit of speed for counter attacks

10 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Is it too soon for "What do Northern Ireland and the Scottish Premiership have in common? County Down"

Probably, but the caffeine has just kicked in and I'm on a roll (and bacon).

Hmmmmm roll n bacon.  Ok I need to run to the shop before the game. Or should I do that during the game? 

56 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Score looking good at tynecastle 

Another couple of goals and Ross Co. could be sacking their manager as well.....