St Johnston v Motherwell 13/05/2023

SteelmaninOZ

34 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

I think the Sligo game had a massive impact on our league season 

It did. It brought about the delayed, but inevitable, demise of Graham Alexander. The Board then made a blunder by appointing Stevie Hammell and Brian Kerr. They redeemed themselves a bit by firing Stevie, albeit almost too late,  and appointing Ketts. A dramatic and strange season of extremes.

16 hours ago, MJC said:

Only Hearts and Aberdeen, easily the 2nd and 3rd biggest clubs in the country have managed to progress past the prelim rounds in Europe in the last 20 years.

If we ended third last season we would have progressed beyond the Prelim Rounds of Europe.  Whoever comes third this year will likely do the same - but if not it's because a Scottish Championship side will.

19 hours ago, dennyc said:

Nobody is saying that. But why can't we enjoy both? One is not exclusive of the other.

May I ask, how did you feel watching us play in Dortmund all those years back, and at Nancy? Both games where we performed well and received plaudits despite playing teams that you would rate as out of our league and who we had no business playing. Games where our fans were lauded for the support they gave their team. Defeat probably inevitable but incredible occasions all the same. Would you deny us those moments?

I'll take a match in Iceland any day over a trip to Annan. But as I said, why can't we enjoy both?

I'll be honest I couldn't care less if I never saw Motherwell in another European game ever again. Other than the financial rewards the actual competition would put you to sleep. We've played in 36 European games how many of them have been edge of the seat exciting with with great atmospheres .. if it covered 5 games I'd be amazed. For those who love it great but for me I'd rather have an exciting Scottish Cup tie where we may have the chance to achieve something. European Football at all levels bores me to tears. It's set up to suit the big clubs and the rest of us are just chaff in the wind.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I'll be honest I couldn't care less if I never saw Motherwell in another European game ever again. Other than the financial rewards the actual competition would put you to sleep. We've played in 36 European games how many of them have been edge of the seat exciting with with great atmospheres .. if it covered 5 games I'd be amazed. For those who love it great but for me I'd rather have an exciting Scottish Cup tie where we may have the chance to achieve something. European Football at all levels bores me to tears. It's set up to suit the big clubs and the rest of us are just chaff in the wind.

That’s fair enough. Each to their own. My point was that it is possible to do both. If you want to opt out of most or all the European games then that is a choice you are more than entitled to make. And I respect that. 

It is also a fact though that if we had finished third last season rather then several years ago, then funds such as the £5m that Hearts brought in for merely qualifying  would have increased our likelihood of a higher League placing or that exciting Cup run you crave. 

Not been at them all, but every away game I have attended in Europe has had a great atmosphere. As has several of the home legs, although admittedly not all. And results at times have had an effect on that home atmosphere.  But way more than 5 in total have had an atmosphere to be remembered.  In my opinion that is. 

Anyway, moving on. 

2 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Are you MJC in disguise, any game Motherwell play in , domestic league and Cup, European, friendlies etc should get the fans excited, even if we know getting pumped is always distinct possibility that's what being a fan is, supporting the big clubs that win week in week out is boring. The vast majority of fans up and down the country and all over the world never see their teams win anything.

As for Motherwell I'm sure half the premiership teams, league 1 &2 teams fans would love to have had a fraction of the European tours we've had since 1991. In a league where we are never going to win it, Euro qualifying is the next best thing, so here's hoping we have lots more chances.