Vs Kilmarnock

Desp

It was a chronic game of football. O'brien was absolutely hummin'! Clarky missed a belting chance aswell but only 1 shot on target is not good enough I'm afraid.

I think if we beat Aberdeen then we'll still be in the mix for Europe, and with Rangers winning now then here's hoping the results go our way today!

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if we beat Aberdeen then we'll still be in the mix for Europe, and with Rangers winning now then here's hoping the results go our way today!

What is 'our' way though? Hibs v Aberdeen - do we want Aberdeen to win then we are in top six at the moment? Or Hibs to win as then we can catch Aberdeen as we play them AND they have the toughest fixtures (Celtic away).

I think we should concentrate on Aberdeen falling out of the top 6 rather than Hibs...

Dire, dire game today. Just didn't seem to be any sense of urgency considering the importance of this game. Strange. Oh, and whoever thinks Brian McLean is a right back must be blind. Rather have him playing as a centre half 'cos every time I see him at right back he gets raped.

What is 'our' way though? Hibs v Aberdeen - do we want Aberdeen to win then we are in top six at the moment? Or Hibs to win as then we can catch Aberdeen as we play them AND they have the toughest fixtures (Celtic away).

I think we should concentrate on Aberdeen falling out of the top 6 rather than Hibs...

Fair point Juan! I reckon after our result today a draw is probably more suited, meaning we all stay as we were. Although as you say, Hibs winning would effectively end Aberdeen's season and they will probably end up falling out of the race completely.

Swings and roundabouts today really!

Just back in from Rugby Park.

What a waste of time and money that was. Lacklustre from the start, couldn't even get the fundamentals right. The easy/early ball was seldom played, unforced errors were made from start to finish, players caught in possession all afternoon. Piss, piss poor.

I'd give Hughes, Buzz, Craigan, Reynolds, and Clarky pass marks. The others, even Klimpl who has been very consistent were terrible. O'Brien is nae use on the left and he McGhee has a decision to make, it's Quinn OR McLean.

I wouldn't have Sheridan anywhere near the first time again this season. He is just not interested. No dig or effort whatsoever. I think Sutton offers very little. Doesn't win much in the air and can't hold the ball up.

Interesting that McGhee blamed our terrible run before Christmas pretty much on Clarkson and Craigan being out. Now he's not playing Clarkson!!! I know he said he was tired, but he certainly doesn't look tired when he comes on and it's crimminal he's not starting.

To be fair, if we don't make the top 6 or Europe, it won't be because of today. The poor start to the season and the awful run before Christmas have left us playing catch up and we've actually done really well to even be in with a shout.

Just back in from Rugby Park.

What a waste of time and money that was. Lacklustre from the start, couldn't even get the fundamentals right. The easy/early ball was seldom played, unforced errors were made from start to finish, players caught in possession all afternoon. Piss, piss poor.

I'd give Hughes, Buzz, Craigan, Reynolds, and Clarky pass marks. The others, even Klimpl who has been very consistent were terrible. O'Brien is nae use on the left and he McGhee has a decision to make, it's Quinn OR McLean.

I wouldn't have Sheridan anywhere near the first time again this season. He is just not interested. No dig or effort whatsoever. I think Sutton offers very little. Doesn't win much in the air and can't hold the ball up.

Interesting that McGhee blamed our terrible run before Christmas pretty much on Clarkson and Craigan being out. Now he's not playing Clarkson!!! I know he said he was tired, but he certainly doesn't look tired when he comes on and it's crimminal he's not starting.

To be fair, if we don't make the top 6 or Europe, it won't be because of today. The poor start to the season and the awful run before Christmas have left us playing catch up and we've actually done really well to even be in with a shout.

What he said ! Highlight of the day a Steak and Haggis Killie pie says it all really.

Overall I was happy with a point today. It was always going to be a difficult game and with Kilmarnock fired up and fighting for their very survival a point can't be bad. Killie were pretty poor but at least they showed ambition and fight. But how many times have we lost such games in the past? We didn't play badly just didn't play or maybe played to a limited gameplan. I had this down as a certain defeat beforehand, especially given our line up.

I was baffled by our line up and taking all the evidence into consideration we probably set out to stop Killie, which in fairness we did. The right side combination of Quinn and MacLean just didn't work and the sooner Coach is restored to right back the better with someone decent in front of him. The midfield was quite frankly awful and left our 2 strikers totally isolated apart from the dying stages. That said John Suttton is a decent penalty box player and perhaps not suited to today's type of counter attacking game. Even the Setanta pundits couldn't fathom out why we were trying to stifle the game and slow it down. When Steve McGarry came on for Sheridan that confirmed my suspicions that we were trying to sit out the game and perhaps sneak a late goal if we were still in it by that stage.

The team was certainly well prepared but I think our tactics and selection let us down. More fight, desire and ambition would not have gone amiss. The free flowing adventurous football of last season was replaced by a dull, boring, safety first performance today.

Time will tell how important the dropped points today prove to be but it does have that air of a missed opportunity about it. Whether we actually deserved the win though is up for debate.

Thought they were the better in the first half without really threatening too much with us the better of the two in the second but failing to take our chances.

Its frustrating to see the likes of Jim O'Brien last week get two assists and this week seem completely incapable of putting in a cross of note but he wasn't alone. Sutty looked off the pace and Stretch looked to have his most difficult game since his return to name but three.

On the positive it continues the decent league run of what is it, one in a dozen, thirteen? and it is another clean sheet away from home which is always good.

Still that nagging feeling of a missed opportunity though.....

Definitely felt that we were set up not to lose as opposed to go out and win which for me was very dissapointing. Kilmarnock were there for the taking today.

Sutton gives up far too easily for my liking and why he wasn't hooked for clarky at half time is beyond me, Mcgarry on for Sheridan was very confusing substitution.

First half the front two were Isolated needed one of them to drop deeper and create something , when Clarky came on I thought yes 4-3-3 out and out attack but didn't happen.

Klimpls blooter towards goal was only a fag paper over.

However a point is better than nowt I suppose

Definitely felt that we were set up not to lose as opposed to go out and win which for me was very dissapointing. Kilmarnock were there for the taking today.

Sutton gives up far too easily for my liking and why he wasn't hooked for clarky at half time is beyond me, Mcgarry on for Sheridan was very confusing substitution.

First half the front two were Isolated needed one of them to drop deeper and create something , when Clarky came on I thought yes 4-3-3 out and out attack but didn't happen.

Pretty much sums up my views too. I'll take some convincing we didn't set out for a draw. It was a case of safety first which is a bit of a let down as Killie aren't the best side in the SPL. If we HAD to play such a game today then Sheridan should have started with Clarkson, or if he wasn't fit then Murphy. We desperately needed pace and running in the side.

Pretty much sums up my views too. I'll take some convincing we didn't set out for a draw. It was a case of safety first which is a bit of a let down as Killie aren't the best side in the SPL. If we HAD to play such a game today then Sheridan should have started with Clarkson, or if he wasn't fit then Murphy. We desperately needed pace and running in the side.

That same team shouldve had United buried at HT last week with the chances we created so dont think we set out for a draw , we simply arent good enough to try and be that clever anyway.

Bad day for just about everyone in the team , maybe a wee wake up call in the nick of time for some with Aberdeen coming up .

Just back from Rugby Park, at times I couldn't believe these guys were being paid to play this game, Jim O'brien had his telly/showboat head on instead of 'get the fucking game won' head, despite being utter shit for 60 minutes we created 2 really good chances, Kilimpl should've scored and Clarkie snatched at his chance. The important thing is we didn't lose which is the only plus from what was served up today.

one of those days when you get the feeling mcghee is secretly quite happy with the draw. it reminded me of the game with falkirk a year when we blatantly played for the draw against a beatbale team. a year ago i was pissed off but it turned out ok so now i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

as far as the team goes we looked much better with clarky on and sutton did nothing apart from last 90 minutes. quinn struggled in midfield and mclean did ok but again had a couple of dodgy moments which could have cost us goals (same as every match) and seemed to tire after halftime. jim o'brien on the right seems to be fighting a battle against himself for the 90 minutes so playing him on the left with a an added degree of difficulty is no use at all, my opinon of him has changed recently and i think he can do a job for us but not on the left. the devil's advocate would say that we own with that team last week but i'd say that playing away from home, on a bigger pitch against a team with talouil and fernandez rather than levien's no flair mob changed the circumstances drastically.

both teams were poor but could have scored, we'll say that with the right team playing we should have won but that doesn't mean much. let's hope mcghee is right again and that he's willing to make a few changes before the sheep game.

I know that this is sheer speculation but here is how I think results could pan out before the split. Gives some idea the task in hand.

Aberdeen currently 44pt

v MWell (A) Well win 0pt

v ICT (H) Dons win 3 pts

v Celtic (H) Draw 1pt

Finish 48 pts.

D Utd currently 44 pts

v Hibs (H) Draw 1pt

v Ham (H) win 3 pts

v Killie (H) win 3 pts

Finish 51 pts

Hibs currently 40pt

v Utd (a) Draw 1 pt

v St M (a) Win 3 pts

v Rangers (h) Draw 1 pt

Finish 45 pts

Well currently 40 pts

v Abdn (H) win 3 pts

v Gers (A) lose 0 pts

v St M (H) win 3 pts

Finish 46 pts

If this happened it wld finish at the split

4th DUtd 51 pt

5th Abn 48 pt

6th Well 46 pt

7th Hibs 45 pt

Basically that wld mean at least 6 pts in the next three games. It will not work out exactly like this but I will not be far away. Two home wins and I think we will make it. C'mon the Well.