SPL Motherwell v Hibernian 13/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, MJC said:

Always have to make things uncomfortable for ourselves. We deserve the win here.

Seriously ? We make things difficult ? Who was at fault for the pen ??

Really good result and by far the better team. 

Defensively all had good games.  S'OD and Soare I thought both we excellent. 

Midfilelders were decent.  Nice to see Zravkovski come on. Hoping he's the decent holding midfielder that we need. 

Upfront Wilkinson offers some decent touches now and again. 

No doubt Mika made the difference in adding energy to our play.   The question is ether Wilkinson or Obika partner with him. Suspect it will be a bit of both. 

Good start to the season. Well done lads. 

20 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Unlucky Casey’s hand up high when he jumped. Hibs player heads ball about a foot from his hand. 

Exactly the point I was making. If that had been the other way round, we wouldn't have got a foul for that. So we didn't do anything to put ourselves in trouble as MJC was suggesting. We handled Hibs perfectly all game. They only came into it off the back of a shite refereeing decision.

We played well in the second half after a dire first half. Everyone was solid and I've got to hand it to Souare who was solid throughout and used the ball well. He also managed to get Spittal off a dead ball so he's my new favourite player. 

When Bierith created the first goal it was like going from 65 minutes of slomo to fast forward. The second goal was superb as well with Miller winning a header then winning the loose ball, playing a 1-2, then executing the through ball. Beirith did brilliantly to fight for it and get the finish away. Very similar to KVV. 

We still have a lot to do in improving our attacking play but we were solid at the back and Mugabi was my MOTM but McGinn and Casey strolled it as well.

• Like 1

We didn't play well today but we still deserved the victory over an absolutely dire Hibs team.

First half was verging on embarrassing for top tier football, you'd have to scour the leagues of Europe to find a lower pass completion all weekend I'm guessing.

Second half we improved in patches while Hibs went even further back.

Biereth, obviously, changed the match.  Right after he came on he created a chance just through his movement by creating space for an attack.  Just that one movement, without even touching the ball, he'd shown more than Bair and Wilkinson combined.  

He looked aggressive, pacey, with a decent touch.  

Bair and Wilkinson up top didn't inspire much confidence.  I don't mind Wilkinson doing nothing all game if he scores.  Bair ran about a bit, but, too often, into other players giving away needless fouls.

Defensively we looked very comfortable, Hibs were piss poor, but I wasn't ever nervous about Hibs scoring until they got an injury time penalty.

Midfield was a little off today.  Passing was poor overall.  Especially first half.

Overall though we were well worth the win but I thought Hibs were really abysmal.