SPL Motherwell v Hibernian 13/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Although Hibs were pretty decent last night and took their chances well, Luzern could've beaten them by a few if they took their chances and stopped hitting the woodwork. In short, Hibs have a decent attack if they all turn up, but they also have a breakable defence. We should focus on the latter, hitting them early and hard. 

I'm not getting carried away one way or the other with Hibs home win against the team sitting 7th (after 3 games) in the Swiss league.

They looked good in spells after a sticky start and have impressive movement going forward. They were caught out multiple times with balls behind the full backs and could easily have conceded a couple more.

The battle for the midfield is going to be key and it was quite entertaining last night when things started getting a bit tasty.

I usually enjoy our games against Hibs and looking forward to see how SK will set up for this latest installment.

One thing I do have confidence in predicting is that there will be more than one dive in our penalty box.

37 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I like Bevis but I don't think he's suited to that position. Last week he kept on rushing out and leaving a huge gap right in the middle of the back 5. 

He is a guy that I am desperate to do well but I just always feel there is a mistake or lapse in concentration from him.  But when on pitch I will always give him encouragement 

Harsh words indeed regarding Efford.

SK seems to demand the best from his players, but also seems like a fair guy. It very much appears the player isn't giving his all right now. Efford gives something different than Obika & Wilkinson, he's relatively quick and can carry the ball, but if he's not giving 100% it seems like SK will move him on or won't play him.

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

SK seems to demand the best from his players, but also seems like a fair guy. It very much appears the player isn't giving his all right now. Efford gives something different than Obika & Wilkinson, he's relatively quick and can carry the ball, but if he's not giving 100% it seems like SK will move him on or won't play him.

Harsh but fair, there is no place for passengers and deadwood in the squad if they are not interested, get them moved on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GazzyB said:

Yup.

Didnt mince his words there. You dont even need to decipher "Kettlespeak" to understand he isnt happy with him.

I like Efford. He has pace and that takes you a long way in this league, but if his attitude isnt right he needs to be moved on.

Re Bevis. Comes across as a great guy, with exactly the right attitude. The QoS game aside, where he was paired up with Lamie, I dont think he has done to much wrong this season. I presume given he was doing the presser, he is keeping his place this week. Hopefully he can have another solid performance and build his confidence. He has the physicality to he successful if he can just keep it simple and eradicate the mistakes.

5 hours ago, wellfan said:

Although Hibs were pretty decent last night and took their chances well, Luzern could've beaten them by a few if they took their chances and stopped hitting the woodwork. In short, Hibs have a decent attack if they all turn up, but they also have a breakable defence. We should focus on the latter, hitting them early and hard. 

My thoughts exactly , Hibs will need to score in Switzerland because it's not beyond them to put two past Hibs. Hibs are bang average but our defence need to be on their game.

40 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Yup.

Didnt mince his words there. You dont even need to decipher "Kettlespeak" to understand he isnt happy with him.

I like Efford. He has pace and that takes you a long way in this league, but if his attitude isnt right he needs to be moved on.

Re Bevis. Comes across as a great guy, with exactly the right attitude. The QoS game aside, where he was paired up with Lamie, I dont think he has done to much wrong this season. I presume given he was doing the presser, he is keeping his place this week. Hopefully he can have another solid performance and build his confidence. He has the physicality to he successful if he can just keep it simple and eradicate the mistakes.

Definitely think his performances depend a lot on who he is playing with. I’m happy to see him still here. 
I’m talking about Bevis. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Defensively they are. Suspect.

They are yes and I reckon this is the type of game where we really need to score first and get ahead in. I don’t fancy our chances if we have to chase the game.

15 hours ago, smiddy said:

and i hope marshall is playing    cause in steelboy speak heez    shite / pish   * delete as reqd

Eh, he's a top keeper, played in some rank Scotland teams and saved us a few times

Cue , people quoting the goal in the euros , I think that was a great piece of skill as opposed to goalie mistake.

3 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Eh, he's a top keeper, played in some rank Scotland teams and saved us a few times

Cue , people quoting the goal in the euros , I think that was a great piece of skill as opposed to goalie mistake.

I think it's more to do with the multiple clangers he dropped last season including in our win at Easter Road. Or, more recently, the goal he gave away against the Andorrans in the first leg.

On 8/11/2023 at 9:35 PM, Kmcalpin said:

Hibs have done well in Europe so far, but before we get too pessimistic about our chances we'd do well to remember that St Mirren beat them on their own patch. A very tough clash in prospect but winnable. 

I agree its a winnable game Dave and I appreciate they are not as strong defensively but our lack of a goal threat worries me, if we score 1st we have something to build on but if we end up chasing the game I have the fear we won't threaten them enough to get back in it.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

I think it's more to do with the multiple clangers he dropped last season including in our win at Easter Road. Or, more recently, the goal he gave away against the Andorrans in the first leg.

on it wee yin    a  just think heez had his shelf life nothing more nothing less