SPL Motherwell v Hibernian 13/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

We haven't enjoyed many good memories in the last few years at Fir Park against Hibs. I think the last time we beat them, Seedorf and Hylton, tore them apart, however, I'm fairly confident we will get a result here hopefully the midweek European game takes its toll. Even though they beat that team in Europe quite convincingly their defence was really fragile and they were fortunate not to concede more and by all accounts, the same happened against St Mirren. Saying that I'm sure they will have their new 700k forward available, the forward line doesn't sound too bad with the likes of Boyle and Le Fondre. Looking forward to it.

Different test altogether this week.

Wouldnt be surprised to see Blaney making a re-appearance in the back line as he appears to be more mobile than Casey, and Soare will need some help dealing with Boyle. Be interesting to see if thats a straight swap or a shuffle across.

Also wouldnt be surprised to see Davor coming in to bolster the midfield.

Up front will pretty much depend on who is fit.

Certainly some big decisions for SK to make selection wise.

Hopefully a decent crowd and another positive result.

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

His team mates wouldn't pass him the ball and he was a bombscare at the back to the extent he got subbed for McGinlay. 

He'll get dropped. 

Trying really hard not to bite, but its really difficult sometimes.

Soare got subbed because he had just committed a professional foul and got yellow carded. Given his lack of pre-season there was every chance he was getting subbed at some point anyway.

It saved him a potential 2nd booking and stopped him picking up an unecessary injury.

As for him being a bombscare and not getting a pass from his team mates, you must have been at a different game from me.

Theres no way he doesnt start against Hibs unless he is injured.

• Like 1

I didn't think he was particularly bad. It did seem that our attacking play was mainly down the right though. Fair play to him for busting his ass to get forward for the goal, opening up the space for Bair.

I'd still be very surprised if we don't sign another wing back to at least give us some competition there.

5 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I didn't think he was particularly bad. It did seem that our attacking play was mainly down the right though. Fair play to him for busting his ass to get forward for the goal, opening up the space for Bair.

I'd still be very surprised if we don't sign another wing back to at least give us some competition there.

I think McGinley and Wilson look to be the back ups.

Of course McGinley could always be moved on which would free up space to bring in someone else and it would follow the pattern of how SK has gone about his business this season, but I wouldnt hold my breath on that one.

Soare will be fine. He looks decent on the ball. Just needs to get his fitness up having missed pre-season. He looks to be getting there and the 70 mins on Saturday wont have done him any harm.

I thought Souare was poor against Dundee and the run he made to open up space for our goal was just about his only positive contribution. Disappointing as he had showed up well in earlier games.

Maybe because he is not up to full fitness, or perhaps team orders,  but there were numerous occasions when a quick one two was on but after playing the first pass he stood still and the chance of a quick break was gone. Most passes he made were backwards even when forward options were available. And the amount of space he allowed for the cross Dundee scored from reminded me of the dark days under Alexander.

I thought he was taken off because he was knackered and was being given the run around by McCowan. Which led to his booking and as suggested may well have hastened his withdrawal. Although by that criteria Slattery would never finish a match.. To me McGinley does not look up to full strength after his long illness, so I would be tempted to start Wilson even if he is the least experienced left wing back we have. Souare or McGinley facing up to Boyle is not a situation I look forward to.

Early days, and Souare may come good. But for me the jury is still out.

So in short, I think Steelboy does have a point although his comments are a touch harsh this early in Souare's Motherwell career. 

1 hour ago, dennyc said:

I thought Souare was poor against Dundee and the run he made to open up space for our goal was just about his only positive contribution. Disappointing as he had showed up well in earlier games.

Interesting how people can see things differently. I thought he looked really poor in the league cup but did not too badly against Dundee.

I expect him to start on Sunday.

The only way new signings like Souaré get match fit is game time. All the training during the week is no substitute for competitive matches.

I wouldn't judge anybody on the Dens Park water slide, but I thought he was OK - and an improvement from his League Cup performances.

None of the new signings had faced Premiership level teams prior to that (and you could argue Dundee lie somewhere in between Championship and Premiership level until they find their feet after promotion). The real tests for all the recent recruits will be how they improve and adapt over the next few games.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wellfan said:

If he doesn't improve, we need to start giving more game time to Wilson given that Souare is only contracted to January. Or hope we unearth another Penney or Furlong. 

I had kind of assumed that Wilson in January was the plan (similar to Johnston last season) and that was the reason that Souare was only a six month deal...

8 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I had kind of assumed that Wilson in January was the plan (similar to Johnston last season) and that was the reason that Souare was only a six month deal...

I'd hope so. We need dynamic youth in the wing-back positions, which is exactly what Kettlewell built our success on in the second half of last season. 

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

Given the game time Souare has had in the last 4 years and lucky to be alive after a car crash i suspect his 6 month deal was related to his fitness levels and if he could  stay fit before offering him a longer deal.