Cup game St Mirren v Motherwell 19/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

First loss in 13 and the sky is falling. We lost a tricky tie, which is shite, but I don't think we need to lose our collective shit about it.  We are going to lose a bunch of games this year, and we're also going to win our fair share. Might even have some draws as well.

Exactly, that is my take.  Of course we are all disappointed but last week we were all delighted with an excellent 2-0 win.  We are Motherwell,  it's going to be up and down....some great....some honking....some average.  But anyway enough about my jokes....back to the fitba 🤪🤪

9 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Then who are you blaming - who at the club is affecting the winning mentality of successive players and managers in cup competitions?

Motherwell have won 3 domestic cups in 130 odd years. We may have been particularly shit in the last few years, but we are a club with a long established tradition of losing in knockout competitions at some point, and reasonably early most years.

I honestly don’t know who I am blaming. I don’t know if it’s one individual or a collective but the fact that we have lost nine out of our last eleven cup ties against top flight sides with various managers and players involved suggests to me that the issue lies deeper within the club. 

As a club we have a ‘losers mentality’ which is seen regularly through the “we’re skint, we’re punching way above our weight, welcome to our great wee club” sound bites. 

No matter what business you are in if the line from the top is always “we’re skint, we don’t expect anything, it’s just a privilege to be functioning atall” then that is going to feed down to the employees and also to the customers, or in our case the support. 

That’s just how I see it. I might well be completely wrong about it but that’s my take on it.

8 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Did you type that with a straight face?

Most of my jokes have that reaction with folk 🤣🤣🤣

Ps. Watching Spurs v Man United.  If Wan Bissaka played up here would the chant be. "Wan Wan Bissaka..... there's only one Wan Wan Bissaka"....hold on ...Nurse Ratchet is coming......medication time  (one for lovers of 1970's classic movies)

• Haha 1

Just now, grizzlyg said:

All I will say is again we have lost 3 out of 21 under SK, let's cast our minds back to the Raith cup defeat, now that really was dire times.

Keep the faith as Bon Jovi once said.  I think we will be just fine this season 

I actually tend to think that we will be fine this season too. As I said earlier Kettlewell knows how to make us hard to beat and competitive so over the course of a season that might well work in our favour. There are obvious concerns about where our goals will come from but at the same time I don’t see us conceding that many either so we may well be comfortable in the league.

Losing a Cup tie against St.Mirren or any top flight side is just something that happens to us as a club but I don’t think it will be an indicator of how our league season will go.

Today was little different to how we’ve played previously this season. Up against an organised and determined outfit in St Mirren our drop-off in quality in key areas from last season was exposed.

For Kettlewell’s formation to work we need to replace both Max and Furlong,  disappointing that this hasn’t been addressed yet. In midfield, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us make another move for Goss as Davor was miles off it and really shouldn’t have came out for the 2nd half. Then there‘s obviously the need for a bit of pace and creativity in forward areas. 

Pass marks for McGinn and Casey today, not many others. At a time that the manager pleads poverty in every interview, I’d have expected us to have had a right good go today but we never posed a threat. 

20 minutes ago, MJC said:

I honestly don’t know who I am blaming. I don’t know if it’s one individual or a collective but the fact that we have lost nine out of our last eleven cup ties against top flight sides with various managers and players involved suggests to me that the issue lies deeper within the club. 

As a club we have a ‘losers mentality’ which is seen regularly through the “we’re skint, we’re punching way above our weight, welcome to our great wee club” sound bites. 

No matter what business you are in if the line from the top is always “we’re skint, we don’t expect anything, it’s just a privilege to be functioning atall” then that is going to feed down to the employees and also to the customers, or in our case the support. 

That’s just how I see it. I might well be completely wrong about it but that’s my take on it.

Maybe you could offer to give the team a motivational talk before the next cup tie

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Robbos boy said:

How can you say we will be fine, when you predict a defeat ever game. So can you please make your mind up, it's really confusing!!!! 

Because what I or anyone else predicts on an internet chat room has absolutely no bearing on what will actually happen in a game. 

21 minutes ago, Lobey_Dosser said:

Today was little different to how we’ve played previously this season. Up against an organised and determined outfit in St Mirren our drop-off in quality in key areas from last season was exposed.

For Kettlewell’s formation to work we need to replace both Max and Furlong,  disappointing that this hasn’t been addressed yet. In midfield, I wouldn’t be surprised to see us make another move for Goss as Davor was miles off it and really shouldn’t have came out for the 2nd half. Then there‘s obviously the need for a bit of pace and creativity in forward areas. 

Pass marks for McGinn and Casey today, not many others. At a time that the manager pleads poverty in every interview, I’d have expected us to have had a right good go today but we never posed a threat. 

Totally agree about the full back positions,that was actually my biggest fear coming into the new season,we have gone from two young players that were fresh with a bit of pace and were a genuine threat going forward to two in there 30s that didn't play much football last season,odonnell and souare should have been the back ups this season.hopefully were still looking at strengthening in that area but I'm sure it will rest on getting the likes of lamie and mcginley out first,as much as we have all seen games like today many times before,going out the cup as softly as that will always be frustrating.

9 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

St Mirren will do OK this season, were they that much better than us ?

Just back in a shite game with two poor teams St Mirren had 1 shot on target all game and it went in, we had the same and their keeper pulled off a brilliant save fine margins between success and failure.

Both teams were as shite as each other but we missed a chance to progress today they were there for the taking but we fucked up, SK needs to get them up for the league now as if we continue like that we will struggle big time.

Oh and Bevis Mugabi should be nowhere the team a complete bombscare.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Just back in a shite game with two poor teams St Mirren had 1 shot on target all game and it went in, we had the same and their keeper pulled off a brilliant save fine margins between success and failure.

Both teams were as shite as each other but we missed a chance to progress today they were there for the taking but we fucked up, SK needs to get them up for the league now as if we continue like that we will struggle big time.

Oh and Bevis Mugabi should be nowhere the team a complete bombscare.

Agree totally. Mugabe should be out. Gave ball away in dabgerous areas far too often. Poor that we using him as holding player at one point. No confidence in him.