Cup game St Mirren v Motherwell 19/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

On 8/15/2023 at 7:59 PM, well_said said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but collum is the ref on Saturday 

Bobby Madden was particularly generous to them in recent times with soft pens, I'm glad he's long gone. 

Seldom I'm in the know but I heard from a good source that Robinson had tried to take Liam Donnelly to St Mirren a few weeks back but he opted to return to Rugby Park.

I'm looking forward to the cup game, we certainly owe them one as in recent times we have had Billy Mehmet knock us out with a late goal and I think we got pumped 3-0 in Gannon's days, not too mention the 4-4 at Fir Park a few years ago with the abysmal penalties that followed.

I thought our defence was great on Saturday but obviously, we had a couple of issues we needed to deal with. St Mirren are in a decent run of form, some of their fans seem to have much more positive things to say about Mandron but he gave away a stupid penalty against Dundee and they were fortunate they missed it. The 'Well connections have been reduced significantly this season on the field for the Buddies. If our defence is on song again I feel we can progress with a 1 or 2 nil win.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Anyone know if we will have video stream on Motherwell TV? Don’t see it mentioned there  

It's a bit of a lottery when it comes to League Cup games, but often there is no (legal) option. I didn't see anything listed on St Mirren TV either. 

Fingers crossed though. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, weeyin said:

It's a bit of a lottery when it comes to League Cup games, but often there is no (legal) option. I didn't see anything listed on St Mirren TV either. 

Fingers crossed though. 

Taken from St Mirrent Site:

"Due to no broadcasting cameras at the SMiSA Stadium this weekend and no PPV being permitted, we are unable to show Saturday's match live on St Mirren TV. There will, however, be live audio commentary for international and UK based subscribers."

Doesnt look great :(

• Like 1

Really impressive ticket sales from our support. It just goes to show that despite poor home attendances we actually DO have a decent support for a club of our size. It’s just a pity that so many only turn up for certain games.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:30 PM, Kat said:

the 4-4 at Fir Park a few years ago with the abysmal penalties that followed.

That game still annoys me to this day. If we had lost 4-1 or even 5 or 6-1 in normal time then it wouldn’t rankle half as much but as it was it was just so, so Motherwell in the way way lost that. To be 4-1 down at home to St.Mirren was obviously bad enough but to then drag ourselves back into it, get level and then not fucking go on and win it with the momentum we should have had was fucking chronic. And you just KNEW that we would lose on penalties and we duly did.

If we are to have any chance of winning today I think we need to score first and cannot, absolutely MUST NOT allow it to get to penalties because we will lose again if we do. Our penalty shootout record against top flight sides in Cup competitions is horrific and I don’t think we’ve ever actually won one. On the other hand I think St.Mirren actually have a very good record on penalty shootouts. Neither will change today if it gets that far.

Must be, not in squad. McGinley must definitely be on the way out if they want sod there (I assume) in front of him. Can't see Blaney at wing back.

Biereth isn't fit yet, so I'd prefer he came on for the last 40 than getting hooked at half time.

9 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Miller on bench a tad strange especially as a cup tie but I am not the manager,  COYW

StMirren are pretty physical team, I can see why he's on the bench and start with Davor.  Given Miller is only 16 there will be times to give him a bit of breather.

That said suspect both Miller and Biereth will have game time.

38 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Our two best players on the bench.... Great.

Yet again we fuck about with lineups in a Cup tie. Is it written into the contracts of Motherwell managers or something?

That lineup is so depressing.