Cup game St Mirren v Motherwell 19/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, MJC said:

Re: Mugabi, how many times do people need to see that he just can’t be relied on? His concentration and positional sense are non existent. 

Even basic control of the ball and passing poor. Hes not a footballer. Against lower teams in group he was not tested but hes not a premiership player. Why we playing him as sweeper at times too? Hes not to be trusted to make basic passes.

50 minutes ago, MJC said:

Re: Mugabi, how many times do people need to see that he just can’t be relied on? His concentration and positional sense are non existent. 

Thought I was the only 1 how can a guy so big not be able to judge the flight off the ball time and time again hes in the wrong positions and strikers take advantage.

Not keen on any of Lamie, Mugabi, Blaney, Mcginn as Cbs

Casey, Butcher and ideally add 1 more

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

But the thing is you predict a defeat every game, but say we'll be OK, naw no having it, please come off yir fence, or oot fae under the bed, you're choice. 

C'mon he predicts we will get at least 20 points per season.

I can see his grounding, cup game, difficult opposition - a home win was the favourite.

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

But the thing is you predict a defeat every game, but say we'll be OK, naw no having it, please come off yir fence, or oot fae under the bed, you're choice. 

The bigger question will we be ok?

For a while - but after 37 seasons in the top league our luck will run out at some point. It has to.

Will it be that bad, probably as not as much as your Dunfermline - esque punters fear.

1 minute ago, wunderwell said:

The bigger question will we be ok?

For a while - but after 37 seasons in the top league our luck will run out at some point. It has to.

Will it be that bad, probably as not as much as your Dunfermline - esque punters fear.

Lastly - adding to this probability.

We don't have a top six budget - the city clubs do.

So to have 37 years - repeating the same feat, is gambling against all odds.  Rolling a one in six chance over 37 years. We have zero divine right to be in the SPL, safety as much as it may be scorned is a success for us.

What I'm looking for is just to beat st mirren.  We will never compete with ugly sisters but we can compete with others. My 12 year old son Nick used to hate football.   I was hoping for a win and get him to come again to a match. He loved atmosphere. Well boys thanks. Hes sensible and logical about football, knows the rules. He seen how willie gollum has managed game and was so emotive about it. Taking interest in it. Hoping we would equalise. Watching st mirren time wasting. Hes wanting to go to next match v st mirren. Even though we lost. I've managed to get my boy to give a fk about goin to next game. That's enough for me. Happy days. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Gutted.com at todays result

Had high hopes after our end to the last season, and promising results at the start of this season we could hopefully get to Hampden

Not to be,  need to pick ourselves up with 3 points against Killie now,  nothing else for it

It’ll be a long time before we get to Hampden again, if ever. We just don’t have the luck with Cup draws or the character and mentality to win them.

7 hours ago, wunderwell said:

I can see his grounding, cup game, difficult opposition - a home win was the favourite.

That's the thing that annoys me the most after yesterday the opposition were not difficult they were piss poor, just like us, they got in front with a great goal and we never threatened them. Our great strike was saved, to put some context in, that was only our 2nd defeat in 15 games a big chance for a QF place missed.

A hugely disappointing result and performance yesterday. A chance to go on a money spinning cup run spurned. That said it was always going to be a tough ask to beat St Mirren on their own ground and the draw wasn't kind to us. 

Since 1976-77, we've played the Buddies 3 times in the League Cup, all away from home and won once and lost twice. Since then we've played them 7 times in the Scottish Cup, 4 times away and 3 times at home (including a replay). We've won once, drawn twice and lost 4 times.  A very poor record against a similarly sized club.

I get our injury situation and Biereth's loan conditions but I think we chose the wrong team yesterday. By dropping Miller (I get the reasoning behind it) SK clearly prioritised the league over the League Cup. I don't get the logic of changing the defence by switching McGinn to LWB.  Clearly McGinley and Wilson weren't trusted. What does that say about them? That being the case we're a LWB down.

SK has a great record with us but mistakes were made yesterday and lessons need to be learned.

Looking at our Cup stats more closely. Since we beat St.Johnstone in the 2011 SCSF and NOT counting the season we reached both finals, we have played top flight opposition in 21 knockout ties and won only twice. Even if you add in our ties from 17/18 it is played 30 and won only 7.

That is an absolutely appalling statistic and even more so when you take into account that we ourselves have been a top flight side in all of those fixtures.

8 minutes ago, MJC said:

Looking at our Cup stats more closely. Since we beat St.Johnstone in the 2011 SCSF and NOT counting the season we reached both finals, we have played top flight opposition in 21 knockout ties and won only twice. Even if you add in our ties from 17/18 it is played 30 and won only 7.

That is an absolutely appalling statistic and even more so when you take into account that we ourselves have been a top flight side in all of those fixtures.

Yeah, leaving aside the 3 finals we've reached in that time - why would you count them - our recent record's poor. As is our historical record of winning trophies.

You've spoken about the club having a losing mentality when it comes to the cups. We know it's not the same players or managers every time we go out, so seriously, who is it you're blaming? 

12 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Yeah, leaving aside the 3 finals we've reached in that time - why would you count them - our recent record's poor. As is our historical record of winning trophies.

You've spoken about the club having a losing mentality when it comes to the cups. We know it's not the same players or managers every time we go out, so seriously, who is it you're blaming? 

The only constant is the fans so presumably it’s our fault.

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Seriously? He has lost 3 out of 21. Yesterday was poor but all teams have them

I'm talking about his performance so far in the transfer window, not his form record, which is excellent. Yesterday was a significant blip, highlighting rare weaknesses in his decision-making and the lack of options due to his current transfer business bringing in mostly injury-prone gambles and wildcards. His success last season was built on two young, dynamic wing-backs, a creative/holding midfielder, and a goalscorer. None of them have adequately been replaced, and now we're relying on a 16-year-old and a loanee. As others have said, it's concerning that we've not signed anyone proven at our level. But, as I said, he has 11 days left to do more wheeling and dealing. 

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I'm talking about his performance so far in the transfer window, not his form record, which is excellent. Yesterday was a significant blip, highlighting rare weaknesses in his decision-making and the lack of options due to his current transfer business bringing in mostly injury-prone gambles and wildcards. His success last season was built on two young, dynamic wing-backs, a creative/holding midfielder, and a goalscorer. None of them have adequately been replaced, and now we're relying on a 16-year-old and a loanee. As others have said, it's concerning that we've not signed anyone proven at our level. But, as I said, he has 11 days left to do more wheeling and dealing. 

Ahhh no worries pal, fair do's.  I first thought you meant 11 days to save his job.  Yep the signings so far a tad concerning but same time it can take players time to settle and get used to new team mates, formations etc

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Who is it you're blaming? 

It's down to the manager.

My impression is that our managers are usually quite happy to come into the club and not challenge the external impression that we are middling club who won't do much other than make up the numbers. It makes their far job easier.

You look at yesterday and we had 1 shot on target from 25 yards in a cup tie but after the game Kettlewell sounded quite cheerful on the radio then his mates talked him up in the segment after it. If Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen had put in that performance their would have been some discussion of why they played so poorly but with us it's expected and the manager seemed to go along with it.

He actually said it played out exactly as he imagined which should pose a few obvious questions about what the fuck he was doing last week but as there's no scrutiny of Motherwell managers there is no follow up. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

It's down to the manager.

My impression is that our managers are usually quite happy to come into the club and not challenge the external impression that we are middling club who won't do much other than make up the numbers. It makes their far job easier.

You look at yesterday and we had 1 shot on target from 25 yards in a cup tie but after the game Kettlewell sounded quite cheerful on the radio then his mates talked him up in the segment after it. If Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen had put in that performance their would have been some discussion of why they played so poorly but with us it's expected and the manager seemed to go along with it.

He actually said it played out exactly as he imagined which should pose a few obvious questions about what the fuck he was doing last week but as there's no scrutiny of Motherwell managers there is no follow up. 

So, other than Hunter, Stevenson & McLean, our managers have all been losers. And our lack of trophies over the years is not an external impression, it's a fact.

12 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

So, other than Hunter, Stevenson & McLean, our managers have all been losers. And our lack of trophies over the years is not an external impression, it's a fact.

I didn't say that. And it's not just about trophies but as MJC says our record in cup games overall is poor. 

You can look at individual managers like McGhee, Robinson and Alexander and see big differences in the standards they enforced across different periods of their tenure. 

Right now standards seem to be slipping and it's a big finish to the window for Kettlewell to recover that. If the manager is happy with Bair and Wilkinson as strikers and SOD and Souare as attacking wingbacks then it'll be the usual mid season change. 

Avoided coming on here yesterday post game cause I knew the degree of pant-wetting from the usual suspects would be painful.

We were pish, simple as that. Davor sold the jerseys for the goal and was a mile off the pace. St Mirren looked a little better than us but still a very Robinson style team. Fight like fuck for the second ball.

Once Miller came on, there was pretty much nothing in it between the two teams (i.e. they were as pish as us).

Fact is, that outside the two arse cheeks, your team is not going to win every week and the odd crap performance is inevitible, regardless of who the manager is, so an 'unexpected' defeat was always on the cards, especially given Kettlewell's record over the last 20 odd games. If someone had said after Hammy's last game that you were going on a run that would see you lose 3 in 22 (or whatever it is), everyone would have been delighted.

If you think your team should win every game every week and play expansive attacking football, probably best to go and support Celtic or Man City. 

Last week, we beat Hibs (and the usual suspects had that down as a tanking before it kicked off). In fact, Hibs, a team who have progressed in Europe with a couple of decent performances, did not lay a glove on us all game and only scored because of that ridiculous penalty.

So, agreed, we were crap yesterday, but every team in the league will have crap days. If you're on here posting about the eighth defeat in a row, that's the time to wet yer knickers.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2