Refereeing Inconsistencies

Kmcalpin

Have say - and I apologise in advance - Rangers' first penalty conceded in two years really shouldn't have been given.

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Have say - and I apologise in advance - Rangers' first penalty conceded in two years really shouldn't have been given.

I haven’t seen it so can’t say either way but I’ve always wondered if this constant “Penalty to Rangers” and conspiracy nonsense sometimes plays a part, perhaps subconsciously in the backs of officials minds. They’re only human and I reckon that this is what Celtic, their supporters and cheerleaders want - to get match officials to think twice before giving Rangers a favourable decision or one against Celtic.

Ever since the 2010 referee strike - an event which was completely Celtic’s doing - Celtic have had it more or less their own way and we’ve all seen on numerous occasions that any referee giving big decisions against Celtic is then often subject to vilification, harassment sometimes even threats to them and their families so it takes a strong referee to officiate their games. 

3 hours ago, MJC said:

I haven’t seen it so can’t say either way but I’ve always wondered if this constant “Penalty to Rangers” and conspiracy nonsense sometimes plays a part, perhaps subconsciously in the backs of officials minds. They’re only human and I reckon that this is what Celtic, their supporters and cheerleaders want - to get match officials to think twice before giving Rangers a favourable decision or one against Celtic.

Ever since the 2010 referee strike - an event which was completely Celtic’s doing - Celtic have had it more or less their own way and we’ve all seen on numerous occasions that any referee giving big decisions against Celtic is then often subject to vilification, harassment sometimes even threats to them and their families so it takes a strong referee to officiate their games. 

Who gives a rats arse how many penalties the ugly sisters get or give away, they are a cancer on Scottish football that the football authorities including referees pander to constantly to the detriment of every other club in Scotland.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MJC said:

The vilification going the way of referees, the SFA, SPFL and every other league club from Rangers fans since their club died has been off the scale. To suggest that only Celtic do this is preposterous nonsense.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Who gives a rats arse how many penalties the ugly sisters get or give away, they are a cancer on Scottish football that the football authorities including referees pander to constantly to the detriment of every other club in Scotland.

Hear! hear!

6 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The vilification going the way of referees, the SFA, SPFL and every other league club from Rangers fans since their club died has been off the scale. To suggest that only Celtic do this is preposterous nonsense.

This is how Celtic get away with their control, manipulation and bullying of match officials and the wider Scottish game… attitudes like yours. People with their heads so deep in the sand that they can’t or won’t see that Celtic are the real problem. People that are so bitter and obsessed with Rangers that they can’t and won’t see Celtic for what they are.

There may have been a great deal of vilification by Rangers towards officials, governing bodies and other clubs in recent times, but it’s nowhere near on the same scale as the other mob and they certainly don’t have the same clout and control that they do either. Like I say, Celtic and Celtic alone caused a refereeing strike and managed to get a referee thrown out of the game for overturning a penalty decision. That was just once instance in a long line of Celtic driven bullying and manipulation of the Scottish game and to suggest that Rangers are anywhere near the same level as them in that regard, or more accurately have the same power and influence as they do is, to use your words “preposterous nonsense”.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MJC said:

This is how Celtic get away with their control, manipulation and bullying of match officials and the wider Scottish game… attitudes like yours. People with their heads so deep in the sand that they can’t or won’t see that Celtic are the real problem. People that are so bitter and obsessed with Rangers that they can’t and won’t see Celtic for what they are.

There may have been a great deal of vilification by Rangers towards officials, governing bodies and other clubs in recent times, but it’s nowhere near on the same scale as the other mob and they certainly don’t have the same clout and control that they do either. Like I say, Celtic and Celtic alone caused a refereeing strike and managed to get a referee thrown out of the game for overturning a penalty decision. That was just once instance in a long line of Celtic driven bullying and manipulation of the Scottish game and to suggest that Rangers are anywhere near the same level as them in that regard, or more accurately have the same power and influence as they do is, to use your words “preposterous nonsense”.

I’m guessing that you’ve never heard of Sir George Graham.

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

I’m guessing that you’ve never heard of Sir George Graham.

I hadn’t to be honest so I had to google search there. It seems that his last involvement with the SFA was in 1957 and I would hazard a guess is now probably deceased? So that being the case how can he have any influence on the game and what goes on in 2024?

12 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Yeah, the Old Firm, two cheeks from the same arse as the saying goes. The ever lovable Ally McCoist went full Neil Lennon at one point demanding to know the names of a trio of people on a panel who dared vote to place a year long transfer embargo on them, which then led to the names being leaked and death threats being thrown there way. Then you have the recent nonsense over a potential penalty that was offside anyway that they refuse to let go, apparently they have heard the audio and it contains no mention of the offside. Obviously the lack of communication at the game was poor but the video evidence is clear as day.

One thing I find hilarious though about Old Firm fans are they know each others business, a Celtic fan I work with was raging about the shirt pull they got away with against us on Christmas Eve and provided me with evidence of a certain David Dickinson giving them one earlier this season against Morton for a slight tickle.

2 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Yeah, the Old Firm, two cheeks from the same arse as the saying goes. The ever lovable Ally McCoist went full Neil Lennon at one point demanding to know the names of a trio of people on a panel who dared vote to place a year long transfer embargo on them, which then led to the names being leaked and death threats being thrown there way. Then you have the recent nonsense over a potential penalty that was offside anyway that they refuse to let go, apparently they have heard the audio and it contains no mention of the offside. Obviously the lack of communication at the game was poor but the video evidence is clear as day.

One thing I find hilarious though about Old Firm fans are they know each others business, a Celtic fan I work with was raging about the shirt pull they got away with against us on Christmas Eve and provided me with evidence of a certain David Dickinson giving them one earlier this season against Morton for a slight tickle.

It's called obsession.

I've got a Celtic-supporting friend who spends his life tweeting about Rangers, be it trolling them or retweeting things, etc., as he calls them out for their conspiracy theory bollox and their apparent obsession with decisions/stories affecting Celtic. The sad thing is that, in doing what he does, he fails to see how obsessed he appears to be with Rangers rather than focusing on Celtic. It's like watching a wall fight with a wall as both try to convince each other and themselves that they're not a wall. The hypocrisy, wanton ignorance, and irony are staggering, and they're no different from each other in that sense. Pathetic. 

To be clear, I think the fans/officials of Rangers and Celtic are equally obsessed when it comes to conspiracy theories and I also think both Clubs benefit from refereeing decisions as a result.

But I do think MJC has a fair point when he states that Celtic are way ahead of the rest when it comes to manipulating the media and utilising their influence across all aspects of Scottish football.

An example

I keep hearing that the penalty Rangers conceded against Kilmarnock was the first domestic penalty they have conceded this season. Even the BBC headline still reads "Rangers concede first penalty since Jan 2022". That is just not true. Domestically they have conceded 3 penalties this season, and 1 was in a Cup Semi Final where Shankland scored. So it was not a nothing game. Fans too often are happy to accept what the media say without question and this forum is no different. Only one top team in Scotland has not conceded a domestic penalty this season and that is Celtic. Not that you would believe that fact given their recent media comments. And I don't see it reported anywhere in the media that it is 23 league games since Celtic last conceded a penalty. The closest run to that is St Johnstone on 13 games. We are on 3. This during a stretch where Celtic's American full back seems to think he is playing Basketball rather than football. Taylor is not much better. So media reporting and wording is very selective and manipulative. I wonder why?

Regards the Rangers incident. Of course it was not a penalty because of an offside in the immediate build up. Nobody in their right mind would argue any differently.  But Rangers are correct in saying that Collum inexplicably decided there was no hand ball offence and then awarded a goal kick. If he had correctly ruled there had been a hand ball, procedures would have kicked in and the offside discovered then and there. So no penalty and an offside free kick awarded instead.

The Authorities elected to ignore Collum's incompetence and midway through the second half announced the offside finding, which appears like an attempt at justification. No acknowledgement of any error. The questions Rangers are asking are why did Collum not award a handball and thereafter follow laid down procedures? I believe they are entitled to pose those questions. The deflection tactics introduced to avoid addressing those issues are insulting and reflect badly on Scottish football.

And that disregard is nothing new. Remember the penalty we were denied against Aberdeen when Lamie's shirt was almost ripped off but the VAR had gone home for the day? Instead of decrying Rangers for demanding answers,   fans, Club Officials and especially the Media should be asking the same questions. Only then might we see an improvement and balance in refereeing standards. It won't happen though and the refereeing inconsistency will continue as will the carefully placed media comments which heap more pressure on the Officials to think twice about penalising certain teams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I'm getting strong vibes of " Rangers are the Big team I support" from some of the posters on here ie it's all the green uglies fault. At the risk of repeating myself they are both culpable for everything that is wrong in Scottish football.

I live in hope that they and their moronic supports will both feck off to England or some European super league one day and leave the rest of us to enjoy football again

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I'm getting strong vibes of " Rangers are the Big team I support" from some of the posters on here ie it's all the green uglies fault. At the risk of repeating myself they are both culpable for everything that is wrong in Scottish football.

Give it a rest with that patter. That type of attitude is yet another reason why Celtic are able to control and manipulate everyone, because anyone who dares speak out is immediately labelled a Rangers fan without the bus fare/a bigot. And that’s not even just from Celtic fans either! You see that pish trotted out on here all the time whenever anyone goes against the grain and calls Celtic out for what they are.

Both clubs have their faults and both sets of supports certainly have faults, but Celtic are way out in front of Rangers imo, and you don’t have to support or even like Rangers to see that. All it takes is a little bit of thinking for yourself and forming your own view based on that. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, MJC said:

Give it a rest with that patter. That type of attitude is yet another reason why Celtic are able to control and manipulate everyone, because anyone who dares speak out is immediately labelled a Rangers fan without the bus fare/a bigot. And that’s not even just from Celtic fans either! You see that pish trotted out on here all the time whenever anyone goes against the grain and calls Celtic out for what they are.

Both clubs have their faults and both sets of supports certainly have faults, but Celtic are way out in front of Rangers imo, and you don’t have to support or even like Rangers to see that. All it takes is a little bit of thinking for yourself and forming your own view based on that. 

You seem to be the only one getting upset about all this, as I've said nobody gives a feck about the uglies it's comedy gold for fans of every other club.

5 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

You seem to be the only one getting upset about all this, as I've said nobody gives a feck about the uglies it's comedy gold for fans of every other club.

Firstly, I’m not upset about anything and I don’t see anyone else getting upset.

Secondly, it is quite clear that plenty of people do give a feck otherwise it wouldn’t be being discussed on here and there wouldn’t be all the hysteria about Rangers getting penalties on social media and forums like Pie & Bovril. Like it or not, the ‘Old Firm circus’ is something that a lot of people take an interest in.

1 hour ago, Spiderpig said:

I live in hope that they and their moronic supports will both feck off to England or some European super league one day and leave the rest of us to enjoy football again

Nothing at all to do with "The big team I support". Trotting out that response is akin to the rabid nonsense that is rolled out from both ends of Glasgow.

It is about the lack of factual reporting by the Media, incompetent refereeing (which this thread is about) coupled with selective use of VAR, and the fact that nobody is prepared to challenge those issues or hold the Authorities to account.

I very much doubt that any Motherwell fan has a soft spot for either Rangers or Celtic, especially if they have attended any matches against either, home or away. Anybody who does not recognise the vile atmosphere they create is either in denial or deaf and blind. Then again, the Motherwell fan in front of me at Easter Road who regularly shouted out "Dirty f****n Bastard" does make me wonder.

I do share your hope for an Old Firm free football environment though. Sadly that is never going to happen even if a European Super League with both in it is established. Our lords and masters would ensure both could field B Teams in the Premiership. I suspect our Board, or any other, would not raise any objections. That seed has already been sown.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MJC said:

I suppose it depends on what aspects of the clubs and their supports most annoy each person. 

Taking it away from Rangers.

Collum's methodology has always been giving decisions to the bigger team.

Guy could referee livingston v aberdeen and give the away team all the decisions.

Bring him in for the Motherwell v Alloa game!

20 hours ago, dennyc said:

Nothing at all to do with "The big team I support". Trotting out that response is akin to the rabid nonsense that is rolled out from both ends of Glasgow.

It is about the lack of factual reporting by the Media, incompetent refereeing (which this thread is about) coupled with selective use of VAR, and the fact that nobody is prepared to challenge those issues or hold the Authorities to account.

I very much doubt that any Motherwell fan has a soft spot for either Rangers or Celtic, especially if they have attended any matches against either, home or away. Anybody who does not recognise the vile atmosphere they create is either in denial or deaf and blind. Then again, the Motherwell fan in front of me at Easter Road who regularly shouted out "Dirty f****n Bastard" does make me wonder.

I do share your hope for an Old Firm free football environment though. Sadly that is never going to happen even if a European Super League with both in it is established. Our lords and masters would ensure both could field B Teams in the Premiership. I suspect our Board, or any other, would not raise any objections. That seed has already been sown.

I wouldn't be against their b teams tho, surely both beatable occasionally and keeps the interest/ TV money hopefully?

On 1/4/2024 at 9:49 AM, MJC said:

I hadn’t to be honest so I had to google search there. It seems that his last involvement with the SFA was in 1957 and I would hazard a guess is now probably deceased? So that being the case how can he have any influence on the game and what goes on in 2024?

When he was chairman of the SFA both he and the SFA were thought “overtly biased” toward the blue half of Glasgow. I find it amusing that people now consider the situation has changed so that the green half is now favoured.

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

When he was chairman of the SFA both he and the SFA were thought “overtly biased” toward the blue half of Glasgow. I find it amusing that people now consider the situation has changed so that the green half is now favoured.

That was long before my time so I’m not going to dispute what you’re saying, that may well have been the case back then. But like I said that has absolutely no relevance to what goes on today. Celtic clearly, in my opinion, have a lot more clout than any other club, including Rangers nowadays, in football, the media and in the political spectrum.