The Liam Kelly Thread

David

So, I've seen a lot of discussion about the main man between the sticks as of late and thought it maybe deserved its own thread.

Kelly is an interesting one, as he's the captain and has been a regular call-up for Scotland. I think if we were told a few years back that we'd have a keeper who was in that position we'd have been well happy.

But it seems many fans aren't.

Let's have it said right away, that Kelly isn't perfect. If he was, he wouldn't be at Motherwell. Or he wouldn't have been for long anyway. He's no Darren Randolph or John Ruddy, that's for sure. 

Although it should be said that it's probably a lot easier to look better when you have a defence in front of you that consisted of the likes of Stevie Hammell, Craigan, Mark Reynolds and Shaun Hutchinson as Randolph and Ruddy both did.

I think we were relatively lucky to have both those keepers at the club, and it was very clear that they were destined for better things.

What is interesting is looking at who else we've had since those guys were in our team:

• Lee Hollis
  • Gunnar Nielsen
  • George Long
  • Dan Twardzik
  • Craig Samson
  • Brett Long
  • Connor Ripley
  • Russell Griffiths
  • Dean Brill
  • Trevor Carson
  • Mark Gillespie
  • Scott Fox
  • Aaron Chapman

How many of that list would anyone take over Liam Kelly? For me it would be one. Mark Gillespie. 

It's when you look at that list you realise that while Kelly isn't perfect, he's better than most of what we've had the past number of years. I'd happily keep him here for as long as he wanted to stay, because the chances are good that the likes of Oxborough and whoever else comes next will be another one of the unremarkable names on that list above.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

So, I've seen a lot of discussion about the main man between the sticks as of late and thought it maybe deserved its own thread.

Kelly is an interesting one, as he's the captain and has been a regular call-up for Scotland. I think if we were told a few years back that we'd have a keeper who was in that position we'd have been well happy.

Let's have it said right away, that Kelly isn't perfect. If he was, he wouldn't be at Motherwell. Or he wouldn't have been for long anyway. He's no Darren Randolph or John Ruddy, that's for sure. 

Although it should be said that it's probably a lot easier to look better when you have a defence in front of you that consisted of the likes of Stevie Hammell, Craigan, Mark Reynolds and Shaun Hutchinson as Randolph and Ruddy both did.

I think we were relatively lucky to have both those keepers at the club, and it was very clear that they were destined for better things.

What is interesting is looking at who else we've had since those guys were in our team:

• Lee Hollis
  • Gunnar Nielsen
  • George Long
  • Dan Twardzik
  • Craig Samson
  • Brett Long
  • Connor Ripley
  • Russell Griffiths
  • Dean Brill
  • Trevor Carson
  • Mark Gillespie
  • Scott Fox
  • Aaron Chapman

How many of that list would anyone take over Liam Kelly? For me it would be one. Mark Gillespie. 

It's when you look at that list you realise that while Kelly isn't perfect, he's better than most of what we've had the past number of years. I'd happily keep him here for as long as he wanted to stay, because the chances are good that the likes of Oxborough and whoever else comes next will be another one of the unremarkable names on that list above.

Sensible post.

Yes, Kelly may not be perfect, but I'm delighted we've got him over what we would likely have had we not decided to splash out on a relatively good keeper. 

1 hour ago, David said:

• Lee Hollis
  • Gunnar Nielsen
  • George Long
  • Dan Twardzik
  • Craig Samson
  • Brett Long
  • Connor Ripley
  • Russell Griffiths
  • Dean Brill
  • Trevor Carson
  • Mark Gillespie
  • Scott Fox
  • Aaron Chapman

Carson and Gillespie better but that's all .  

He is a good goalkeeper, I don’t think there’s any doubt about that.

However he has been poor this season and arguably for longer but is seemingly undroppable. 

If he is continually turning in performances which are below what you’d hope or expect then his position as No.1 has to be called into question, captain and Scotland cap or not.

All players have dips in form. With keepers, for some reason, you need to shoot the manager's wife before he'll even consider dropping you.

He's saved us more points than he's lost, but if he was a centre half he'd have been on the bench for a few weeks on recent form. 

The thing is, if he (or any other player) thinks they are undroppable, there isnt many things to push them to up their performances.

Is the big lad Oxborough any good? Was told he is on a decent wedge. No doubt he was bought to slide into kellys slot when an offer came in. If he was bought for that purpose then might be time to at least show Kelly he isnt untouchable.

The other thing is and i could be wrong here but i believe they are both out of contract in the summer. Cant see Kelly signing back on. Would we expect this guy to re-sign given we havent shown any faith and gave him an opportunity in 2years while the number 1 has strugglef? Could end up with neither and potentially a diddy inline with some of those mentioned in the OP.

47 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

He is having a bad spell but I still feel he is a decent keeper for us but if he left in summer it wouldn't really bother me as I feel we would find an able replacement 

All it takes is a look at that list of keepers we've had over the past number of seasons to see that finding an able replacement isn't all that easy. Especially considering the recent recruitment we've seen by the club. I wouldn't trust them to recruit staff for the bar, much less the first team squad.

44 minutes ago, David said:

All it takes is a look at that list of keepers we've had over the past number of seasons to see that finding an able replacement isn't all that easy. Especially considering the recent recruitment we've seen by the club. I wouldn't trust them to recruit staff for the bar, much less the first team squad.

If he signed new deal I wouldn't be disappointed, if not I just don't think as big a loss as other keepers in the past

7 hours ago, David said:

• Lee Hollis
  • Gunnar Nielsen
  • George Long
  • Dan Twardzik
  • Craig Samson
  • Brett Long
  • Connor Ripley
  • Russell Griffiths
  • Dean Brill
  • Trevor Carson
  • Mark Gillespie
  • Scott Fox
  • Aaron Chapman

I think Carson was better as well.

Kelly is a good shotstopper, but he doesnt come for cross balls and his distribution is poor.

He is definitely a good enough keeper at our level, but whether he is value for money is a different matter.

None of us really know what money he is on, but he came in on loan from a bigger club able to pay much higher wages and is reputed to be our top earner. For me if we were looking to trim the wage budget I would have moved him on and gone and got Carson back in the short term.

For me he shouldnt be near the Scotland team. The fact that he is shows the dearth of talent among Scottish goalkeepers right now.

Given that he doesnt want to talk contracts right now, it seems like he wants to run his contract down and see what offers come to him in January. Thats fair enough and his perogative, but I wouldnt lose any sleep over moving him on in January for whatever fee we can get.

• Like 3

I'd agree that both Gillespie and Carson were better keepers in recent times. Trevors kicking ability was tremendous with both feet, he mentioned in an interview that the Dutch coaches at Sunderland would have the GKs training like that constantly. Just a shame about his health and injuries here. 

Gunnar Nielsen is a weird one as apparently he was absolute class in training but when actually playing he was tripe. 

We have another keeper the original post never mentioned, Gennadios Xenodochov only ever appeared on the bench as cover though. 

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given that he doesnt want to talk contracts right now, it seems like he wants to run his contract down and see what offers come to him in January. Thats fair enough and his perogative, but I wouldnt lose any sleep over moving him on in January for whatever fee we can get.

Personally, I think him moving on in January could seal our fate as far as relegation is concerned.

21 minutes ago, David said:

Personally, I think him moving on in January could seal our fate as far as relegation is concerned.

If his form had been magnificent all season and he had been keeping us in games I would agree. But it hasnt. Now that could just be because he has been playing behind a defence that has leaked goals in recent weeks, but the goal at Kilmarnock was down to him and it hasnt been the only occasion. 

He makes some very good saves most weeks, but If you compare the individual mistakes he has made to those of say, Mugabi, and compare the criticism that accompanies it, Kelly flies under the radar.

Now, Im not saying I would hunt Kelly in January. But if a suitor comes in with a reasonable offer, I think we would be crazy not to consider it. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

1 out of 3 is shit for a top level keeper tbh

Agreed, but I dont think we are really in the market for top level keepers anymore unless we rear our own or get someone young with potential in on loan. See St Mirren.......

8 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Gennadios Xenodochov.    Never made an appearance but holds the record at Well for biggest score at Scrabble!! 🤣

You can't use names in Scrabble.

• Like 1

Sieb Dijkstra was best iv seen for crosses ,and a mad big bugger . If he didn’t get the ball he layed someone out flat in the process . Oppisite of Kelly he often came out for them to the 18yard line. Entertaining stuff.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stv said:

Seib Dijkstra was best iv seen for crosses ,and a mad big bugger . If he didn’t get the ball he layed someone out flat in the process . Oppisite of Kelly he often came out for them to the 18yard line.

That Considine goal still maddens me, instead of doing a jig on the goal-line he should have smothered the ball without a care for who got in his way.

2 minutes ago, stv said:

Sieb Dijkstra was best iv seen for crosses ,and a mad big bugger . If he didn’t get the ball he layed someone out flat in the process . Oppisite of Kelly he often came out for them to the 18yard line. Entertaining stuff.

SIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEBBBBB! 😆😆😆