Ross County v Motherwell 05/12/23

SteelmaninOZ

8 hours ago, El Grew said:

I’m afraid I have to agree with you on this. The big question is; would it allow us to re-set the club or would we fall away like Dunfermline, Partick, Falkirk et al.

You’d like to think it would be a chance to re-set the club and in an ideal world that’s what would happen but in reality it’s more likely that when we are relegated we will be out of the top flight for a significant period of time, perhaps for good. I think there is also a very strong possibility of us going part-time because the way the club is run is shambolic. Our business model appears to be non-existent, there is zero ambition and as we are forever being told we supposedly have no money.

The reality is that we have some well meaning people with good intentions running the club but that’s all they are. There is no leadership or anyone with any business nous and as such as we as a club are a sinking ship and that is why we deserve to be playing lower league football whether we finish bottom this season or not, because we are a lower league club in everything but name already.

11 hours ago, wellfan said:

No, we won't. We're now 9th and four points off the bottom, and the three teams below us have a combined seven games in hand. We are plummeting. 

Why are you posting a reply after the game to a comment I made about us getting a draw? You on the drink or something?

Some truth in that MJC.  We're not down yet though. Far from it. However for us to survive this year, will require the Board to act decisevly and quickly.  SK must be replaced quickly with a relatively experienced man and some funds made available to strengthen next month. Where I agree with you is that the current Board has made a few dubious decisions over the past 2 or 3 seasons and questions are arising as to whether they're up to the job in hand.

Just viewed the "highlights" from last night.

First goal typical poor defending from a set piece/cross ball. What do we do in training?

Second goal - same problems as Saturday. Deep lying midfield and failure to close down an attacker who finds space and time on the edge of our box. Kelly should be raging at them.

Third goal - much the same as the first although Kelly makes a complete hash of it.

I don't quite get the annoyance at Kelly. Could we source a better keeper? Yes, he is overrated. No argument from me thats he's on a bad run; his confidence is rock bottom; he has little protection from those in front of him (goals 2 and 3 last night). However he has never ever been a big commanding keeper. We knew that when we signed him. If we had wanted someone bigger and more commanding then we should have gone for someone else. Recruitment at fault here.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just viewed the "highlights" from last night.

First goal typical poor defending from a set piece/cross ball. What do we do in training?

Second goal - same problems as Saturday. Deep lying midfield and failure to close down an attacker who finds space and time on the edge of our box. Kelly should be raging at them.

Third goal - much the same as the first although Kelly makes a complete hash of it.

I don't quite get the annoyance at Kelly. Could we source a better keeper? Yes, he is overrated. No argument from me thats he's on a bad run; his confidence is rock bottom; he has little protection from those in front of him (goals 2 and 3 last night). However he has never ever been a big commanding keeper. We knew that when we signed him. If we had wanted someone bigger and more commanding then we should have gone for someone else. Recruitment at fault here.

Totally agree re Kelly but last night was not a one off bad performance from him he's been poor for months and SK must see that but Oxborough has not been given a chance, to show what he can do, and for me that's a sign of a manager who's out of ideas.1

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I’m not a Liam Kelly fan but in fairness, even greats like Yashin or Banks would be made to look bad playing in this team.

• Like 1

Just now, wellfan said:

No, I was pissed off, although I wish I was pished instead.

Ah, okay. I just didn't know why you'd addressed a quote I made before the game where I said that a draw away to a team like Ross County isn't the worst result.

By that point we'd lost, and the point was null and void.

Just now, David said:

Ah, okay. I just didn't know why you'd addressed a quote I made before the game where I said that a draw away to a team like Ross County isn't the worst result.

By that point we'd lost, and the point was null and void.

You're right, and I was pissed off. The defeat was disastrous, which we both acknowledged would be the case should that happen. 

• Like 1

Watched the goals and jeez!!!

1) is it a bird....is it a plane......no it's Spittal!!, what on earth was he doing?

2) Wilkinson nowhere near man but hey that's what happens when you play a striker as a wife midfielder.

3) free header, SOD and Butcher dreaming and Kelly poor.

Kelly's confidence rock bottom just now which is sad to see. I honestly don't think he will go to Euros which would be rotten for him but in all honesty Laidlaw at County would be better shout as playing better

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Kelly's confidence rock bottom just now which is sad to see. I honestly don't think he will go to Euros which would be rotten for him but in all honesty Laidlaw at County would be better shout as playing better

Nah, I think he'll be there. He won't play, of course, but he'll be there. Clarke is quite loyal to the players and squad that actually qualify. 

Kelly's been around the squad, he knows the players, the management, the processes, and all that. It could be argued that's more important than bringing someone brand new who isn't going to play either.

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

1) is it a bird....is it a plane......no it's Spittal!!, what on earth was he doing?

2) Wilkinson nowhere near man but hey that's what happens when you play a striker as a wife midfielder.

And yes.....wife midfielder was a typo!! Lol

Just seen Kelly's interview, is that not the exact same interview he gave after Raith cup tie?

I can imagine how hurt the players are also but performances have just been getting more and more embarrassing.    When I am losing the positive vibes then that sums up our overall position just now 

So i just plucked up the courage to watch the highlights and i am now convinced Kettlewells issues with players is a big concern.How on earth Gent is not starting week in week out is beyond me Blackburn might as well recall the boy we dont deserve to have him.He comes on last night and not for the first time is nothing but purely positive yet Kettlewell still wont play him.

Left side player with a left foot nope not playing him sorry that be too obivous.Kettlewell is the master of his own downfall he always talks about watching the tapes back christ i would like to know what tapes he has been watcing clealry none with Gent in them.

I must be getting old, but I can do without the "apologising to the fans" being rolled out. We're all (mostly) grown up Motherwell fans here, and been through it more times than the current squad.

You're on a bad run of playing a game, not being accused of war crimes. There are no victims here.

Just buckle down and sort it out by picking up a few points.

2 minutes ago, weeyin said:

I must be getting old, but I can do without the "apologising to the fans" being rolled out. We're all (mostly) grown up Motherwell fans here, and been through it more times than the current squad.

You're on a bad run of playing a game, not being accused of war crimes. There are no victims here.

Just buckle down and sort it out by picking up a few points.

You have modern "media training" to thank for all that. The club likely employs people who have raised alarm over what they've seen on social media (and even on here) and believe that pushing the captain in front of a camera to look solemn and offer empty words is going to help matters.

It doesn't.

As you say, they're not being accused of something heinous. They're footballers who aren't playing very well. 

24 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Just seen Kelly's interview, is that not the exact same interview he gave after Raith cup tie?

I can imagine how hurt the players are also but performances have just been getting more and more embarrassing.    When I am losing the positive vibes then that sums up our overall position just now 

Yup, it is. And looking back at that one last night, I didn't believe a word he said.

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

A wife midfielder? 

3 hours ago, David said:

Nah, I think he'll be there. He won't play, of course, but he'll be there. Clarke is quite loyal to the players and squad that actually qualify. 

Kelly's been around the squad, he knows the players, the management, the processes, and all that. It could be argued that's more important than bringing someone brand new who isn't going to play either.

Craig Gordon will be on the plane.

2 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Craig Gordon will be on the plane.

Not so sure about Gordon, but I have no doubts that Steve Clarke will be trawling the leagues of world looking for a keeper whose Great Granny or Grandpa ate some shortbread once to make them Scottish, as I can't see Kelly making the squad if his current form keeps up.

19 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Not so sure about Gordon, but I have no doubts that Steve Clarke will be trawling the leagues of world looking for a keeper whose Great Granny or Grandpa ate some shortbread once to make them Scottish, as I can't see Kelly making the squad if his current form keeps up.

It won't matter. One keeper will be playing all the games anyway. Maybe two if there's an injury or suspension. Kelly will be the third keeper and won't play, much like he's done for his previous 3 million call-ups. 

Chances are Clarke sticks him in the squad for the reasons I mentioned above. There's no point in wasting time integrating someone new into the group when they aren't going to play anyway.