Motherwell v Livingston 30/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

9 hours ago, wellfan said:

If we cannot get a much-needed win at home against our direct relegation rivals, which would take us to 16 games without a win, I would suggest that no manager deserves to remain in the job following that, regardless of whether replacement options are lined up.

I posed the question but I'm firmly of the same view.

• Like 2

Giving the horrendous run were on,if we were to then go and lose at home to the team bottom of the league the manager needs to go.this is our biggest game of the season and we need to start getting points on the board,it's time the manager and players stood up and put a performance in.

10 hours ago, mfc said:

Giving the horrendous run were on,if we were to then go and lose at home to the team bottom of the league the manager needs to go.this is our biggest game of the season and we need to start getting points on the board,it's time the manager and players stood up and put a performance in.

Don't think there's much chance if Slattery standing up, falls on his arse about half a dozen times each game!!

22 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Don't think there's much chance if Slattery standing up, falls on his arse about half a dozen times each game!!

Half a dozen,your being generous there grizzly 😂.I said on here the other day that I thought we had turned a corner with slattery at the start of the season where he was putting in some decent performances but at the first sign of trouble he's back to spending the game fouling and falling on his arse.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mfc said:

Half a dozen,your being generous there grizzly 😂.I said on here the other day that I thought we had turned a corner with slattery at the start of the season where he was putting in some decent performances but at the first sign of trouble he's back to spending the game fouling and falling on his arse.

At start of season Slattery looked half a yard sharper - it's clear he's got skill - unfortunately he spends more time trying to win free kicks .  With our current  man midfield we can ill afford this type of player - we need hard working, ball winners or someone who can create. Sadly he does neither .

3 minutes ago, wellfan said:

According to Kettlewell, the almost unanimous concerns and assertions of the fans represent 'fluff'.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24015370.motherwell-manager-downplays-livingston-six-pointer-fluff/

His press conferences annoy me. Not sure if he's being cute or arrogant.

I don't see/hear him recognise how poor we've been or how poor his signings have been. He regularly bemoans individual errors, small squad and injuries as the reason for our woes.  I don't see him taking much accountability .

We deserve to be in the position we are as other than workman like performances we have zero guile/skill throughout the team. (other than Mika) We thought our midfield was weak last season,  Likes of Goss & Cornelius would walk straight into our starting 11.

I don't believe there's anywhere to hide for either team tomorrow.    I'd be stunned if both managers were in a job come the New Year. A draw could see both managers get the boot. 

The headline is a little dramatic as he goes on to recognise that it’s a very big game, but that the St Mirren and Rangers games were equally as important.

If he’d just said it wasn’t that big a game and left it at that then oooooooooooft I’d be raging!

Very misleading headline, this quote just about sums up the reality:

"If people want to say this is the biggest game of the season and it means everything, then fine, but I would argue that what happens on Saturday will not have a direct bearing on what happens in May. But it can have an impact on what comes in the coming weeks, in terms of building momentum."

12 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Very misleading headline, this quote just about sums up the reality:

"If people want to say this is the biggest game of the season and it means everything, then fine, but I would argue that what happens on Saturday will not have a direct bearing on what happens in May. But it can have an impact on what comes in the coming weeks, in terms of building momentum."

Correct,  it's newspaper pish if you ask me fake news from some  Journalist to get his story qouta up.

What's SK supposed to say about this run we're on, throw the players under the bus, tell them they are brutal etc, that's a sure way to get your p45, do fans really want to hear " aye we we're pish " from him every week. 

The team and current  board obviously still have faith in him, as given the results by rights he should have been shown the door months ago. That said another defeat on Saturday would be the final straw for me and he would need to go, but I think he'll get the January window at least to strengthen the squad.

For me I think we will win on Saturday with a good performance although I'd be happy with a 1-0 shitfest win and that will give the team confidence to kick on and we can all wait to see what we get in the transfer window and who we offload.

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Correct,  it's newspaper pish if you ask me fake news from some  Journalist to get his story qouta up.

Fake news? He's directly quoted using the word 'fluff' in response to the fan view that the game is a six-pointer, so I don't think it's 'fake news' or disingenuous for the journo to have used the headline, 'It's all fluff': Motherwell manager downplays Livingston six-pointer chat. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

According to Kettlewell, the almost unanimous concerns and assertions of the fans represent 'fluff'.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/24015370.motherwell-manager-downplays-livingston-six-pointer-fluff/

Good man management imo, enough pressure without ramping it up...as ever people will have their own take on it ..let's get behind the guys for 90 mins , then mump if things don't go to plan 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Good man management imo, enough pressure without ramping it up...as ever people will have their own take on it ..let's get behind the guys for 90 mins , then mump if things don't go to plan 

If good man management has led us to the dizzy heights of 15 games without a win, I hate to think what bad man management would have led to. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wellfan said:

If good man management has led us to the dizzy heights of 15 games without a win, I hate to think what bad man management would have led to. 

Refer to Hammell's stint in charge.

19 minutes ago, wellfan said:

And Kettlewell's stint is following a similar trajectory as his managerial skills are, at present, failing to arrest a terminal decline. 

I don't completely agree with that. While the results have been very disappointing, the players are still putting in the effort and pinching points here and there that I do not believe would have been won under Hammell. A lot of the players looked to have given up towards the end of his tenure but I don't see that this time.

23 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

I don't completely agree with that. While the results have been very disappointing, the players are still putting in the effort and pinching points here and there that I do not believe would have been won under Hammell. A lot of the players looked to have given up towards the end of his tenure but I don't see that this time.

You're right about the players not seeming to have downed tools like they seemed to do under Hammell, but pinching the odd draw here and there still isn't good enough. We've not won in 15 games, and the manager hasn't been able to affect any meaningful change. That form is ridiculous, whichever way you frame it. While different in detail, both managerial stints have led to the same outcome thus far. 

9 hours ago, mfc said:

if slattery had boots on his arse he would be an international

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

What's SK supposed to say about this run we're on, throw the players under the bus, tell them they are brutal etc, that's a sure way to get your p45, do fans really want to hear " aye we we're pish " from him every week. 

The team and current  board obviously still have faith in him, as given the results by rights he should have been shown the door months ago. That said another defeat on Saturday would be the final straw for me and he would need to go, but I think he'll get the January window at least to strengthen the squad.

For me I think we will win on Saturday with a good performance although I'd be happy with a 1-0 shitfest win and that will give the team confidence to kick on and we can all wait to see what we get in the transfer window and who we offload.

so do you think if we get a draw on sat, he keeps his job then gets the window to strenghten ?????     i wouldnt give him bad money to spend, his track record on players doesnt stand up in my book ,