Hibernian v Motherwell 02/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, grizzlyg said:

It's frustrating but we have scrambled late draws recently.ย 

Next weeks important as SK needs to get good signings in but January always difficult to attract players.ย  ย Anyway let's focus on the positives and hopefully 2nd start of season will improve....COYW

Thatโ€™s the spiritย ๐Ÿฅƒ

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Gent was shattered. It seemed like the full second half was down his side. The weakness of our squad cost us. Obika was hopeless at the corner as well. Luca Ross scored against County and hasn't played a minute since yet chancers like Obika, Wilkinson and Shaw get chance after chance.ย 

If Kettlewell doesn't bring in quality that improves the team this window his time's up.ย 

Ross County game was at a completely different stage. We were chasing an equaliser and on top. i.e. nothing to lose when Luca came on.

12 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Is that poor game management or are you on your favourite subject again ie lettingย  us all know you don't like Kettlewell?ย ๐Ÿค”

I don't dislike him; I don't rate him.ย 

Bair is a โ€˜confidence playerโ€™. His effort is never in question and his ability is limited but he does have something to offer when his head is up. Heโ€™s delivered both Saturday and today and scored a couple of really good goals.ย 
ย 

Saying that we really could do with signing a โ€˜properโ€™ striker type player in this window.ย 

I would have definitely settled for four points between this game and livingston before a ball was kicked, hopefully that's us starting to a corner.we look more of a threat up front but defensively were as bad as ever,its just cheap goal after cheap goal that we concede,we need to start defending properly if we want to have a comfortable second half of the season.hopegully the recruitment drive is well under way and we can see a bit of movement in and out this month.

If you read this forum, our support must contain some of the worst supporters in the countryย ๐Ÿ˜ย If you used the info found here, Motherwell would lose 3-0 every week, they'd get relegated every year and no other team ever loses or draws after going one up.

After a 15 game winless run, winning at home against your closest opponent and drawing away with a team above you isn't bad. The fact that we werent rock bottom after that run shows that outside Celtic, Rangers and Hearts, everyone is mediocre. The run during Alexander showed the same thing. You'd actually think the other 11 teams in the league won every week judging by some of the pish talked on here.

Sure, it's gutting to lose a lead so close to the end, but how many folk of here were thinking 'game over' after they scored the opener.

Get a fucking grip and enjoy the fact that we're not in a worse postion than we are, we have a window to get rid of and bring in a couple of players and we have a 4 game run of real winables to come.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

That's a decent point to a team above us in the league, albeit a sore one losing a goal late on. Hibs could have been out of sight after going 1-0 up - the team showed great determination to get it to 2-1. I think the fact the opposition had a rest at the weekend should be taken into account re. late goal with tiredness setting in. Huge deflection on the equaliser too, was a tad unfortunate although could have cleared the first cross better. Hopefully 1 or 2 signings in January window and offloading a couple of the fringe players will see us heading into the 2nd half of the season more optimistic than the last wee while.

• Like 2

Strange game - not for first time this season. Watched a stream.

Up to 35 minutes would have bitten your hand off for a point. Yet by half time could have been in the lead.

As second half went on thought we were running out of steam and Hibs progressively looked like scoring. But it was disappointing to lose a highly avoidable goal so late. (As pointed out bootโ€™s been on other foot.) Actually feared we might lose another.

Boring stats - we have won more points from a losing position than anyone else (maybe because weโ€™ve been in that position more than anyone?) Fourth highest scorers and โ€ฆโ€ฆyes , worst defensive record. Maybe not always down to our defence. How many managers/coaches say โ€˜defending starts from the front.

30 minutes ago, MJC said:

Bair is a โ€˜confidence playerโ€™. His effort is never in question and his ability is limited but he does have something to offer when his head is up.ย 

He's scored in the first half of the last two games then reverted to cart horse after half time. I don't think it's confidence he just has to be pointing in the right direction when the ball gets to him.ย 

• Sad 1

Would have taken a point before the game and it was probably the correct result over the piece, but it does feel like a boot in the baws in the circumstances.

Injuries and suspensions continue to limit our options (and our chances) but the manager and the players continue to find ways to grind out results. Thats a good trait to have and the players are 100% still with the manager.

Didnt fancy the line up when I saw Spittal at RWB and I think Hibs took advantage of that for the first 30 mins. But it was actually the manager switching Biereth back into the middle and Bair wide that seemed to change our fortunes.

Immediately our press worked better and the shape of the team gave more natural protection to Spittal who was getting roasted.

Great goal again from Theo and for the remainder of the game I thought we were far more competitive.

Obviously we tired towards the end and the inevitible happened.

I suppose the manager could have thrown some of the youngsters on, or even Nathan McGinley, but the ones shouting for that would be the very ones calling for the managers head had those changes resulted in the same loss of 2 points or even all 3! The amount of reactionary nonsense on here never ceases to amaze.ย 

We have now only lost 2 of our last 8 games and one of those defeats was to Rangers. We are well in the pack going into the break with a chance to get some players back fit and bolster the weak areas of our squad. Yes we have our deficiencies and the manager makes his mistakes. But the players are still with him. Maybe some of our supporters should be too!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Some of our best players in the past started through being chucked into the lions den at a young age. It goes back to when will it ever be the right time, especially in this league.ย 

Looking at the end of the game seasoned pros have a cheek having a go at Gent for his error that cost us a goal. Yes, its frustrating, but some of these seasoned pros have hardly covered themselves in glory upto now with many a poor performance.

Hopefully we add a few bodies to the midfield.

ย 

7 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

ย 

Looking at the end of the game seasoned pros have a cheek having a go at Gent for his error that cost us a goal.

ย 

Who was it? Gent was superb he just tired at the end due to his effort.ย 

ย 

ย 

2 hours ago, Alpha1886 said:

Ross County game was at a completely different stage. We were chasing an equaliser and on top. i.e. nothing to lose when Luca came on.

I would have put Lucas on. We needed someone to chase and harry to be our first line of defence. Obika was too slow for what we needed at that point

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Who was it? Gent was superb he just tired at the end due to his effort.ย 

ย 

ย 

Agree I thought Gent was one of our better players. Looked like Spittal. The manager said words were said to Gent after the game. Hopefully it was constructive and not destructive.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Agree I thought Gent was one of our better players. Looked like Spittal. The manager said words were said to Gent after the game. Hopefully it was constructive and not destructive.

If Dan the Man had made that mistake would SK have made same reaction? I doubt it.ย 

Gent still raw and learning but is improving all the time and always looking to get crosses in

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

From what I saw SK was consoling a distraught Gent at the end of the game, right in front of the away support. And Gent did not react in a way that suggested any harsh words came from the manager.ย