🏆SC Motherwell v Alloa 20/01/2024

SteelmaninOZ

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Pleased today to see Butcher and more so Miller back .

miller looked a cut above others .

Also pleasing to have some decent options on left hand side of pack with Montgomery and Gent 

Yes, despite all the moaning, a few positives from today’s game. Left side looks good with Gent and Montgomery. Miller looked good on his return. Halliday looked pretty tidy and composed on the glimpse we got of him. If we can a couple of decent players we can climb away from the relegation dog fight. Strengthen middle of defense, a bit of attacking speed on the right (Lucas Ross?) and a goal scorer to play alongside Bair. 

Job done, that’s all that matters in the Scottish Cup. 

Three good goals. Spittal did well to make up for his penalty miss with a great free kick.

And good to get revenge on Alloa at last. Their goalkeeper wasn’t jumping about like his arse was on fire at the end today!

Fuck the Clackmannanshire Bridge!

Looks like all of the premier league teams struggled today, so good to get the comfortable win and move on.

Also good to get Miller and butcher back on the pitch, and debuts for the two new guys.

Easiest possible draw for the next round please.

2 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Yes, despite all the moaning, a few positives from today’s game. Left side looks good with Gent and Montgomery. Miller looked good on his return. Halliday looked pretty tidy and composed on the glimpse we got of him. If we can a couple of decent players we can climb away from the relegation dog fight. Strengthen middle of defense, a bit of attacking speed on the right (Lucas Ross?) and a goal scorer to play alongside Bair. 

agree with a lot of that - other than Bair - a good squad player but not convinced he should start.

Great shout about Lucas Ross - certainly worth giving him a few games to see what he can do. 

No coincidence we looked about 100% better after Lennon Miller came on the field.  He has been missed.

Outside of scoring in however many seconds the first half was very, very poor.  These cups ties can be tricky coming off the winter break when lower league teams have been playing regularly but even so our passing was atrocious and we just looked so, so sluggish.

OK, our options are limited right now but the team set up, basically 5-4-1, at home to Alloa, just wasn't good enough.

Things improved as I said when we went 4 at the back and Lennon Miller came on and showed what we've lacked during his injury.

Couple of good quality goals in the second half, and created more chances but still a few question marks in key positions against better quality opposition. 

We switched to a back four for ten minutes and in that period we scored and won a penalty. We missed the penalty and reverted to a back 5. Mind boggling. 

Bair made an arse of 4 sitters laid on a plate by Gent. The purple patch is clearly over. 

Gent played well and SOD was decent the rest of it a shambles. Callum Butcher is a busted flush and if he starts at Perth we will lose. 

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Fairhill said:

I'm 79, but give me a trip and a pair of boots and I'll be ready to go on!!!

think by the time you get here you will need a wee rest ,  but the game will then be finished :) but at least you will be here in time for st j  away :)

25 minutes ago, steelboy said:

We switched to a back four for ten minutes and in that period we scored and won a penalty. We missed the penalty and reverted to a back 5. Mind boggling. 

Bair made an arse of 4 sitters laid on a plate by Gent. The purple patch is clearly over. 

Gent played well and SOD was decent the rest of it a shambles. Callum Butcher is a busted flush and if he starts at Perth we will lose. 

You're not happy that we won then. All the SPL teams toiled by the looks of it. Nice to see you giving SOD pass marks and Gent. But seriously. Kettlewell is thick and Kelly is a tit ..  and apparently Spittal is a shambles even though he scored yeah? Just as well everyone else doesn't agree with you. Was Miller a shambles too?

A tough watch but safely through. Thought Butcher should have been hooked at half time but he had a much more assured second half. Makes me wonder though why Mugabi is always the fall guy when often he's playing better than the rest. Two outstanding strikes from Spittal which also beggars the question of why his corners and often passing in general is so poor at times. Gent was excellent again, look forward to seeing what partnership he can forge with Montgomery once he settles in. We really need that kind of energy on the right. Miller slotted back in seamlessly. He really is a boy with the game at his feet. A Rolls Royce at the tender age of 17.

8 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Miller looked a bit rusty but had some good touches.

He's just back from a pretty significant injury. Like seriously. I get why people are frustrated with us as a team. I've been watching Motherwell for decades and we don't make it easy. That's just Motherwell

I personally think Kettlewell interviews really well and doesn't hide from the media. He's made mistakes but he owns them. Like seriously. There are days where I don't want to go on the Motherwell FC Facebook page. Its worse than twitter. If we sign someone its wrong. Halliday is too old etc and on there in particular Kettlewell can do nothing right. I just think sections of our support are complaining for the sake of it. 

I just think it's shades of Alexander and I completely get that we didn't play pretty football under him but I do think he was pretty much hounded out and I don't want to see that happen to another manager. I just think it's got very negative on social media lately. The worst I've seen it in a long time. I get it as well. People pay their money and they want results. And yeah. Kettlewell has made some less than spectacular signings. 

But when Robbo left he left for a reason. We were pretty much in freefall at that point. I might be in the minority but I hope we kick on on and that Kettlewell at least gets to see out the rest of his contract 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, wellup83 said:

A tough watch but safely through. Thought Butcher should have been hooked at half time but he had a much more assured second half. Makes me wonder though why Mugabi is always the fall guy when often he's playing better than the rest. Two outstanding strikes from Spittal which also beggars the question of why his corners and often passing in general is so poor at times. Gent was excellent again, look forward to seeing what partnership he can forge with Montgomery once he settles in. We really need that kind of energy on the right. Miller slotted back in seamlessly. He really is a boy with the game at his feet. A Rolls Royce at the tender age of 17.

I personally think Spittal is hugely underrated and it could be a confidence thing with him. I feel exactly the same about Slattery. I'm not sure on Bevis tbh. He's had more than a few bomb scare moments even though he's solid most of the time. I also think Sod gets much more of a hard time than he deserves 

• Like 2

Think we learned today that the first two names on the team sheet should be Davor and Miller in the middle of the park. Performances have improved since Davor was given a run and he will get better with Miller beside him. 

The left side looks promising with Montgomery at back and Gent in front of him getting decent crosses into the box. Now if we could only get somebody into get on the end of them. 

• Like 2

Really need a forward asap, Bair is dug meat, no striker instinct, could have had a hat trick today if he knew how to gamble and stretch for the ball, also surely has to be Mugabi’s last game, guys a nervous wreck, absolute bomb scare every time he’s near the ball.

Plus points thought Gent and Montgomery played very well today.