β€‹πŸ†β€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Well Well said:

SK Post match interview. "I never seen this coming, the performance, the result". Well every single fan did and that's why the cameras were there because the BBC did as well.Β 

Bit about the structure that got me…..

Β 

structure disappeared ( professional footballers should be able to sort that themselves )

Β 

if they can’t then the manager shouldΒ 

Β 

not much point in speculating if a sun keeper is good enough if we’re not going to give him a chanceΒ 

Β 

poor season

Β 

poor recruitment

Β 

Manager always goes at the end of the season on that basisΒ 

2 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

Hes clearly lost confidence. That was apparent months ago. We just need to be sure Aston will do the jobΒ 

Yes, I agree, and I really don't know what type of keeper Aston is. However if Kelly has lost confidence it will do him more harm to keep playing him if he continues to make mistakesΒ 

3 minutes ago, Well Well said:

SK Post match interview. "I never seen this coming, the performance, the result". Well every single fan did and that's why the cameras were there because the BBC did as well.Β 

I dont think every single fan did to be fair otherwise why did almost 2000 fans travel. I understand the point you are making but I personally wouldn't spend money to go and watch Motherwell if I thought we were going to automatically lose.Β 

No one seems to be mentioning Butcher so I will!Β  Thought he was awful all night. When the Morton player hit the bar Butcher tried to pull him back rather than get a challenge in. If VAR had been available who knows. He failed to block the shot at their second goal and did exactly the same again Alloa at Salmons goal.

He got booked tonight after a cynical challenge which summed up his evening.Β 

Not sure what his best position is but it's not in defence.

1 minute ago, Mortonhallwell said:

No one seems to be mentioning Butcher so I will!Β  Thought he was awful all night. When the Morton player hit the bar Butcher tried to pull him back rather than get a challenge in. If VAR had been available who knows. He failed to block the shot at their second goal and did exactly the same again Alloa at Salmons goal.

Agreed, Hes really went downhill since coming back from his injury.Β 

51 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I dont think every single fan did to be fair otherwise why did almost 2000 fans travel. I understand the point you are making but I personally wouldn't spend money to go and watch Motherwell if I thought we were going to automatically lose.Β 

Agreed. but I think many did. Maybe Tuesday lulled many of us into a false sense of security. Before the match many would have anticipated it'd be a real battle and it was. Morton have a big strong physical team and they played to those strengths. A good few thought SK would rotate the squad more giving more gametime to some newer players and rest regulars ie when we were 3-0 up on Tuesday and cruising - that didn't happen.Β  We looked jaded tonight. A few questioned the inclusion of Miller and O'Donnell for different reasons and they both started.

The team may have beenΒ  more talented than Morton but lacked their will to win and character. Many mistakes made before kick off and also afterwards.

Yes, we have no right to beat a Championship team in the cup, but thats now 2 years in succession we've lost. We do have the right to expect the team, if they are going to lose, to go down fighting but they didn't - they went down without a whimper.Β Β 

10 minutes ago, Prestwickwell said:

poor season

Β 

poor recruitment

Β 

Manager always goes at the end of the season on that basisΒ 

Where did we finish in the league?

Which signings were worthwhile and which were mistakes, in your opinion?

20 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Charlatan.Β 

I have to disagree on this. Hes made mistakes. That's clear. But do have other people connected with the club and I don't believe for one nano second that he's stealing a wage. I think some of our players are. That's clear. That's not a word I would associate with Kettlewell. I'll just clarify that you are entitled to your view.

21 minutes ago, Mortonhallwell said:

Butcher has been poor since returning from injury. I've mentioned that before on this forum. His best position is on the bench now, unfortunately.Β 

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

If the players carried out Kettlewell's instructions then he should be sacked but somehow I don't think playing ineffective head tennis on the half way line for 5 minutes at a time was the game plan.

Players need to take responsibility for being gutless, garbage and showing no quality whatsoever.

You genuinely don’t think the tactics were wrong tonight?

With hindsight, it’s clear that this draw was always going to be tough. Poor weather, poor playing surface, a lower,leagle side on a decent run and a false level of confidence in ourselves. Almost the perfect storm.

Throw in our nemesis Dougie Imrie and it makes for a prettycrap night for Motherwell fans.

Β 

We need to move on and get over this quickly.

1 minute ago, The African said:

With hindsight, it’s clear that this draw was always going to be tough. Poor weather, poor playing surface, a lower,leagle side on a decent run and a false level of confidence in ourselves. Almost the perfect storm.

Throw in our nemesis Dougie Imrie and it makes for a prettycrap night for Motherwell fans.

Β 

We need to move on and get over this quickly.

Spot on mate!

21 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Where did we finish in the league?

Which signings were worthwhile and which were mistakes, in your opinion?

If it’s not the manager then it’s the playersΒ 

Β 

if we scrape 10th it’ll be a decent season ( for the record I like kettlewell but there’s no clear plan )

Β 

you’ll not get a better draw than Morton at this stage & as others have said when we’re moaning about income it’s important we progressΒ 

They done their homework simple, put balls on top of Kelly and you will score, it’s been the same all season, don’t know why SK returned to hoof ball, we kept the ball on the ground against a poor County and looked good, doesn’t make sense.

4 minutes ago, Prestwickwell said:

If it’s not the manager then it’s the playersΒ 

Β 

if we scrape 10th it’ll be a decent season ( for the record I like kettlewell but there’s no clear plan )

Β 

you’ll not get a better draw than Morton at this stage & as others have said when we’re moaning about income it’s important we progressΒ 

If - we won't know how good or bad a season it's been till it's over. Certainly won't be one of the best, hopefully won't be one of the worst.Β 

I think Bonnyrigg Rose or Cove Rangers at home might've been a better draw. Reasonably sure Aberdeen and Killie wouldn't have swapped us.

Any joy that we were getting in the second half was coming from the wide areas,we should have got nicholson on to have a go at there left back who's legs had gone and was on a booking.i.know we were desperate but putting mugabi up front who just charges about fouling folk is beyond stupidity.i hope nicholson isn't going to be one of they players come the end of the season were saying what the fuck did we sign him for and not play him.

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

Any joy that we were getting in the second half was coming from the wide areas,we should have got nicholson on to have a go at there left back who's legs had gone and was on a booking.i.know we were desperate but putting mugabi up front who just charges about fouling folk is beyond stupidity.i hope nicholson isn't going to be one of they players come the end of the season were saying what the fuck did we sign him for and not play him.

To be fair hes probably still a bit short of full match fitnessΒ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

To be fair hes probably still a bit short of full match fitnessΒ 

Granted he will still be getting upto speed but surely he has enough in him for 15-20 minutes when the game was stretched,it would have been a better option than mugabi upfront.nicholson should have got some decent minutes against county when we had the game won to help him get upto speed.

6 minutes ago, mfc said:

The Mugabi being lobbed up front and switching to wing-back thing is weird. Now that we have options, it smacks of desperation and cluelessness. It's not a good look for the manager.

Just now, mfc said:

Granted he will still be getting upto speed but surely he has enough in him for 15-20 minutes when the game was stretched,it would have been a better option than mugabi upfront.nicholson should have got some decent minutes against county when we had the game won to help him get upto speed.

The thing is. It's easy for us to say that looking on. The amount I know about football management is the square root of nil.Β 

14 minutes ago, mfc said:

Absolutely. Missed opportunities. Our substitutions tonight smacked of desperation. I would have thought that Vale could have been given more gametime and yes, surely Nicholson has 20 minutes in him?Β 

Maybe in a minority of one here but I don't think McGinn and O'Donnell should both play in the centre. I'd keep McGinn as he's been a steadying influence there and, as tonight proved, we need more muscle and height in there. According to SK, O'Donnell was touch and go anyway for tonight due to family circumstances.Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

The thing is. It's easy for us to say that looking on. The amount I know about football management is the square root of nil.Β 

You know as much as me thenΒ πŸ˜‚.just going back to the county game,that was the perfect scenario to get some of our january signings some game time,there won't be many times left this season if any,when were 3-0 up,if guys like nicholson can't get on then when will they.