β€‹πŸ†β€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

4 minutes ago, Prestwickwell said:

If it’s not the manager then it’s the playersΒ 

Β 

if we scrape 10th it’ll be a decent season ( for the record I like kettlewell but there’s no clear plan )

Β 

you’ll not get a better draw than Morton at this stage & as others have said when we’re moaning about income it’s important we progressΒ 

If - we won't know how good or bad a season it's been till it's over. Certainly won't be one of the best, hopefully won't be one of the worst.Β 

I think Bonnyrigg Rose or Cove Rangers at home might've been a better draw. Reasonably sure Aberdeen and Killie wouldn't have swapped us.

Any joy that we were getting in the second half was coming from the wide areas,we should have got nicholson on to have a go at there left back who's legs had gone and was on a booking.i.know we were desperate but putting mugabi up front who just charges about fouling folk is beyond stupidity.i hope nicholson isn't going to be one of they players come the end of the season were saying what the fuck did we sign him for and not play him.

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

Any joy that we were getting in the second half was coming from the wide areas,we should have got nicholson on to have a go at there left back who's legs had gone and was on a booking.i.know we were desperate but putting mugabi up front who just charges about fouling folk is beyond stupidity.i hope nicholson isn't going to be one of they players come the end of the season were saying what the fuck did we sign him for and not play him.

To be fair hes probably still a bit short of full match fitnessΒ 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

To be fair hes probably still a bit short of full match fitnessΒ 

Granted he will still be getting upto speed but surely he has enough in him for 15-20 minutes when the game was stretched,it would have been a better option than mugabi upfront.nicholson should have got some decent minutes against county when we had the game won to help him get upto speed.

6 minutes ago, mfc said:

The Mugabi being lobbed up front and switching to wing-back thing is weird. Now that we have options, it smacks of desperation and cluelessness. It's not a good look for the manager.

Just now, mfc said:

Granted he will still be getting upto speed but surely he has enough in him for 15-20 minutes when the game was stretched,it would have been a better option than mugabi upfront.nicholson should have got some decent minutes against county when we had the game won to help him get upto speed.

The thing is. It's easy for us to say that looking on. The amount I know about football management is the square root of nil.Β 

14 minutes ago, mfc said:

Absolutely. Missed opportunities. Our substitutions tonight smacked of desperation. I would have thought that Vale could have been given more gametime and yes, surely Nicholson has 20 minutes in him?Β 

Maybe in a minority of one here but I don't think McGinn and O'Donnell should both play in the centre. I'd keep McGinn as he's been a steadying influence there and, as tonight proved, we need more muscle and height in there. According to SK, O'Donnell was touch and go anyway for tonight due to family circumstances.Β 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

The thing is. It's easy for us to say that looking on. The amount I know about football management is the square root of nil.Β 

You know as much as me thenΒ πŸ˜‚.just going back to the county game,that was the perfect scenario to get some of our january signings some game time,there won't be many times left this season if any,when were 3-0 up,if guys like nicholson can't get on then when will they.

Spineless . One word to describe tonight’s performance.

Good Motherwell teams who did well in the past had a strong spine to them . By that I mean goalkeeper ,centre half , centre mid and centre forward .Β 
These four key positions through the centre are crucial .Β 
The spine of the team tonight was pathetic .

Kettlewell must make some big decisions and the first one must be to replace Kelly in goals .

Next Mugabi must be taken out the team . Six feet god knows and built like a tank yet gets bullied .

That leaves centre mid . IMO don’t have one as we play this box midfield tippy tippy nonsense.Β 

And lastly centre forward . No way would I be hanging my coat on him .Β 
very poor player . Again six foot whatever and can’t even header a ball .Β 
Lastly fair play to Halliday . Wasn’t keen on him coming to club but he looks like the only one in the team with an actual football brain .

As I say spineless team
Β 

• Like 1

Just now, Mintymac said:

Good Motherwell teams who did well in the past had a strong spine to them . By that I mean goalkeeper ,centre half , centre mid and centre forward .Β 

Kettlewell must make some big decisions and the first one must be to replace Kelly in goals .

Next Mugabi must be taken out the team . Six feet god knows and built like a tank yet gets bullied .

That leaves centre mid . IMO don’t have one as we play this box midfield tippy tippy nonsense.Β 

Lastly fair play to Halliday . Wasn’t keen on him coming to club but he looks like the only one in the team with an actual football brain .

As I say spineless team
Β 

Mugabi has had some terrible performances in the Claret and Amber and some decent ones too.Β  Kellys confidence has been off for quite some timeΒ 

1 hour ago, wellup83 said:

Kelly looked visibly nervous from the off. From the ball he dropped in the first 5 to the calamity that was the first goal. Having seen his body language week in week out this season he looks like a very anxious character at times. I genuinely believe he needs to be taken out of the spotlight for his own good. As for the captaincy, to me it's just an armband. It might be a clichΓ© but you should have 11 captains on the pitch. Or at least least a solid spine of leaders from back to front to build around. I could see from the first 10 minutes that this wasn't the game for Miller, he plays the silky kind of football that's only suited to good surfaces and he struggled to get involved from the start. That game required grafters and we didn't have enough at our disposal simple as that. On a positive note, Jack Vale looks like he could be a find.

What was wrong with the surface - christ it was miles better than Fir Park on Tuesday. Lennon was miles off it tonight, but to lay the blame for it on the pitch is absurd.

19 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If - we won't know how good or bad a season it's been till it's over. Certainly won't be one of the best, hopefully won't be one of the worst.Β 

I think Bonnyrigg Rose or Cove Rangers at home might've been a better draw. Reasonably sure Aberdeen and Killie wouldn't have swapped us.

I’m pretty sure killie & Aberdeen would have fancied themselves to beat Morton

Β 

hopefully we’ll finish positive but it’s anybodies guess

For me a mid table finish, run in the cup & some entertainment is a good season

Β 

getting knocked out the cup by Morton. Winning 2 games in whatever period on top, it’s absolutely right people are questioningΒ 

38 minutes ago, The African said:

With hindsight, it’s clear that this draw was always going to be tough. Poor weather, poor playing surface, a lower,leagle side on a decent run and a false level of confidence in ourselves. Almost the perfect storm.

Throw in our nemesis Dougie Imrie and it makes for a prettycrap night for Motherwell fans.

Β 

We need to move on and get over this quickly.

Clutching at straws mate - nothing wrong with the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Prestwickwell said:

Β 

Β 

getting knocked out the cup by Morton. Winning 2 games in whatever period on top, it’s absolutely right people are questioningΒ 

Of course people have the right to be upset and question. But we've been before. It's done and we need to move onΒ 

3 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Absolutely. Missed opportunities. Our substitutions tonight smacked of desperation. I would have thought that Vale could have been given more gametime and yes, surely Nicholson has 20 minutes in him?Β 

Maybe in a minority of one here but I don't think McGinn and O'Donnell should both play in the centre. I'd keep McGinn as he's been a steadying influence there and, as tonight proved, we need more muscle and height in there. According to SK, O'Donnell was touch and go anyway for tonight due to family circu,stances.Β 

Agreed the subs tonight were desperate,we should have made a couple of positive changes at half time as you could have written the script for the second half,we concede and then panic into making changes and thats what happened,to then make the changes and still play the same way is even more bizarre,having mugabi up front is a desperate act that's been tried now for like 3 years,it's never going to be the answer.we we're heading out the cup with barely a whimper we didn't need to persist with 3 centre half's,for me butcher should have been hooked and nicholson on for the last 20 minutes.im not a big fan of o'donnell but I think he's going to be one of they guys that plays no matter what with devine as backup and the new zealand boy nowhere to be seen.

6 minutes ago, Prestwickwell said:

Β 

Β 

Maybe they would have fancied themselves, but are you suggesting Morton at Cappielow is an easier draw than they got?

I'm going to defend Kelly here, as I have done in the past. Is he short on confidence - yes. Does he make blunders like tonight when he fumbled the ball - yes. Is Oxborough any better - who knows. Why doesn't SK pick him?

As someone said on P & B tonight at the first goal, Spittal made a hash of it and the wrong man was marking Oakley. So, it wasn't all down to Kelly.

Kelly isn't the biggest keeper in the world and has never been good at crosses/set pieces. We knew that when we signed him.Β  So, we need to field big central defenders who can dominate in the air to protect him, which we don't. We also need to minimise aerial balls into our box, which we don't. If we want a keeper who is good in the air then we don't pick him.Β 

27 minutes ago, Mintymac said:

As I say spineless team
Β 

Kelly needs replacing full stop ……has never been big enough Β and is costing us cheap goals every other match due to his lack of height and presence on our goal line never mind the 6 yard box………. he should be no where near our national team

Just now, bobbybingo said:

Fair enough, they might. I was questioning your claim that there was no easier draw than Morton at Cappielow.

It’s a lazy questionΒ 

we should be beating Morton end ofΒ 

Β 

it’s a crossover but on the other thread ur questioning if it will dent confidence, u’d need to be super optimistic to think we’re finishing top 6 with our run in to the splitΒ 

1 minute ago, Prestwickwell said:

It’s a lazy questionΒ 

we should be beating Morton end ofΒ 

Β 

it’s a crossover but on the other thread ur questioning if it will dent confidence, u’d need to be super optimistic to think we’re finishing top 6 with our run in to the splitΒ 

Why is it a lazy question? I think most folk realised it would be a tough game. I certainly didn't see anyone other than yourself saying it was the easiest draw we could've got.

On the other thread I questioned whether this defeat was inevitably going to batter our confidence, not dent it. I think that's a reasonable question. How many times have we seen teams bounce back from bad results, or vice versa, as happened tonight. Nothing is inevitable.

Β 

A fuck shit pile of crap tonight. No fight, no skil, nothing to offer.

A horrific performance for most in our colours.

Wont fix things but kelly needs 'dropped' or 'rested' or however we want to slap his arse. He has been a shaddow of himself all season & if the reserve keeper is so bad that he doesnt deserve a shot...... well thats on MFC

Β 

Not just kelly. The rest need a good hard look at themselfs