2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

30 minutes ago, David said:

At this point in time, he's the very epitome of a one-season wonder. If he goes on to replicate his performances and goalscoring exploits next season, then he won't be, but at this particular moment in time? He's done what he's done for one season. 

I sincerely hope he progresses upwards and onwards wherever he's playing in the next few years. He seems like a nice guy, and I hope we're not talking about him in years to come as that guy who scored a lot of goals for one season before disappearing into obscurity shortly after.

I've only met Theo once briefly but he does seem like a nice guy. Tbh. If he does move on and disappear into obscurity as you say at least he'll be hopefully well paid for it. However he comes across as ambitious and someone who wants to do well for his country too so hopefully he will continue to do well no matter where he goes. 

More than one ex player has made a move from Motherwell to progress their career and then struggled to get game time elsewhere but that's possibly to be expected when they are moving to bigger clubs. 

6 hours ago, steelboy said:

I really thought there was a chance we were going to get rid of O'Donnell as well.  Maybe next year.

Well, his contract is up at the end of this month as far as I know, so you may very well get your wish.

Whatever his strengths, SK has been unable to fortify our defence and defensive midfield this season. Hopefully this will be addressed over the summer, but given his track record in this regard we simply cannot afford any "projects". Within budget contraints, we need to bring in solid reliable defenders and a solid defensive midfielder. 

• Like 2

On 5/15/2024 at 10:45 AM, wellfan97 said:

Shaun Rooney signs for St Mirren so puts an end to those rumours. Would've taken him here.

https://www.stmirren.com/all-news/5417-shaun-rooney-becomes-first-new-signing-ahead-of-2024-25

Thats a shame. Would have liked to have had him on board.

Definitely the type of defender we should be going for imho.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2024 at 9:48 PM, David said:

It's outstanding business, and one thing we need to consider is how Theo himself would feel. Whatever he's earning just now, it's fairly safe to say that any club that puts £750,000-£1 million on the table is going to offer him the kind of wages he very likely never thought he'd get.

I'll be interested to see how he does in the next few seasons wherever he goes because as good as he's been this year, it still doesn't change the fact that before this season, he scored 8 goals in 94 games, an average of 0.08 goals per game. 

Either it all suddenly clicked for him at the age of 24, and he's now a double-digit goalscorer per season, Kettlewell is the striker-whisperer and succeeded where 3 or 4 other managers failed, or it's a fluke season. 

I'd rather find out the answer to that question from afar while Motherwell is close to a million quid richer.

I think your facts here on Theo Bair's appearances/goals record prior to joining us can be a bit misleading to be fair. If you take a closer look at those appearances - he only averaged about 35mins over the 90-odd games with many coming off the bench. So if going by 'per 90-mins' - he actually averaged a goal every 4.5 games, give or take.

My point being that up until this season, he has never had a proper run of games at pro level. He's been on an upward trajectory, personally I'd prefer if we managed to keep him at Fir Park and try to extend his deal on improved terms with a view to sell after next season.

So who do we currently have that will be with us next season? 
can one of the mods pin a list of players we currently have for next season, to the top of this thread? Kinda like the man of the match thing. Maybe anyone can do it but I have no clue. Would be nice to have that very handy reference and update as we go. 

24 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

So who do we currently have that will be with us next season? 
can one of the mods pin a list of players we currently have for next season, to the top of this thread? Kinda like the man of the match thing. Maybe anyone can do it but I have no clue. Would be nice to have that very handy reference and update as we go. 

Check the first post on this topic.

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Check the first post on this topic.

Thanks! Being a lazy git it would be nice to have it like the MoTM

im assuming we have some offers pending to some of the out of contract players? Would be nice to see some players beyond 2025. 

9 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Thanks! Being a lazy git it would be nice to have it like the MoTM

im assuming we have some offers pending to some of the out of contract players? Would be nice to see some players beyond 2025. 

Kettlewell said as far back as the beginning of April that he was looking to try and start contract talks. 

Out of contract (1st team squad)

• Liam Kelly
  • Aston Oxborough
  • Bevis Mugabi
  • Ricki Lamie
  • Stephen O'Donnell
  • Callan Elliot
  • Paul McGinn
  • Barry Maguire
  • Calum Butcher
  • Callum Slattery
  • Sam Nicholson
  • Blair Spittal (signed pre-contract with Hearts)
  • Jonathan Obika
  • Mark Ferrie

So, with the season about done, who would you want to keep from that lot? Obviously Spittal is offski, but from the rest?

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

Ewan Wilson?

Yeah, as I said in the first post, there's a number of younger players but I didn't add them to the list. I'm talking mostly about first team players.

If we offer terms to Obika,Butcher or Maguire basically throwing away money and wouldn’t bode well for me what other grand plans were in store.

McGinn 100 percent,SOD for back up role,If we get two wing backs to complement each other then Bair will score 20 plus goals next season easy!