Hearts v Motherwell 17/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

We’ve not won away since our last trip to Tynecastle have we? That was a bodies on the line kinda job that day. If fit, get Casey in for Butcher and play Mugabi in the middle. Should we stick with Devine, he’d have the experience of McGinn alongside him. 

Miller obviously didn’t play well at Cappielow but I fully expected him to come on tonight to try and settle the game down. If fit, I’d have him alongside Paton. Wee Davor is toiling at the moment. 

Will be our 5th game in a fortnight so SK needs to freshen it up, the one huge mistake he made for Morton game when he didn't.

Get Butcher out that defence and bring in Blaney for more balance as he is left sided and move McGinn to Right side .  Bring young Lennon back .

Kelly

McGinn.       Mugabi.       Blaney

Devine or SOD.                          Gent

Davor

Spittal.                   Miller

Bair.          Vale

• Like 2

Hearts have won their last 7 competitive fixtures on the bounce, they haven't been beaten in 11. The guy with the massive forehead will no doubt score as per, it would be nice to take something from this game as St Johnstone are playing Rangers, and Ross County face Dundee not to mention Hibs and Aberdeen are also playing so it's an ideal opportunity to open a buffer below us. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Will be our 5th game in a fortnight so SK needs to freshen it up, the one huge mistake he made for Morton game when he didn't.

Get Butcher out that defence and bring in Blaney for more balance as he is left sided and move McGinn to Right side .  Bring young Lennon back .

Kelly

Davor

Bair.          Vale

Not sure Blaney is the answer, but we havent been any more secure with Butcher at the back. He is supposed to be the organiser, but I havent seen any improvement in that area and he is as slow as a week in the jail. Certainly not the player he was at the end of last season. Really hope its not one injury too far for the fella. Given his age and how serious it was, I suspect he is done.

Quite like the rest of your selection, although I do hope Halliday is fit. Bit more bite in centre of midfield than Miller and he will have a point to prove.

Nice to have options though. Lets hope SK can use them wisely.

17 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure Blaney is the answer, but we havent been any more secure with Butcher at the back. He is supposed to be the organiser, but I havent seen any improvement in that area and he is as slow as a week in the jail. Certainly not the player he was at the end of last season. Really hope its not one injury too far for the fella. Given his age and how serious it was, I suspect he is done.

Quite like the rest of your selection, although I do hope Halliday is fit. Bit more bite in centre of midfield than Miller and he will have a point to prove.

Good post. Whilst I hope Halliday is fit he won't be playing on Saturday as he is still Hearts' player.

53 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I may be wrong, but I've noticed lately that Butcher and Kelly don't seem to interact with each other much. Perhaps I am misreading body language, but it looks like they're both constantly raging and blaming each other for all the mistakes. Have they all lost confidence and trust in each other at the back? Is there trouble in paradise brewing?

Edited by wellfan
Typed Kettlewell instead of Kelly. Changed now. Apologies to those who responded on the basis my comment was about Butcher and Kettlewell.

21 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Good post. Whilst I hope Halliday is fit he won't be playing on Saturday as he is still Hearts' player.

Ah bollocks!

Id kinda forgotten he was on loan as we have him next season.

Thats a bit shite really!

4 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I may be wrong, but I've noticed lately that Butcher and Kettlewell don't seem to interact with each other much. Perhaps I am misreading body language, but it looks like they're both constantly raging and blaming each other for all the mistakes. Have they all lost confidence and trust in each other at the back? Is there trouble in paradise brewing?

Not sure I would read too much into that.

The rest of the squad are still together. Evidenced by the fact that we nearly scored another late winner last night.

Id guess SK wasnt happy it never stood because of Butchers push.

And Butcher is just a torn faced destroyer who hates losing.

Pretty sure they all shook hands later once the red mist subsided......

45 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Was just assuming Halliday was injured but then realised he is unavailable.  I think he will be key player for us once fully fit

8 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Not sure I would read too much into that.

The rest of the squad are still together. Evidenced by the fact that we nearly scored another late winner last night.

Id guess SK wasnt happy it never stood because of Butchers push.

And Butcher is just a torn faced destroyer who hates losing.

Pretty sure they all shook hands later once the red mist subsided......

My bad. I meant to write Butcher and Kelly. Edited above. 

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

My bad. I meant to write Butcher and Kelly. Edited above. 

Ah! No probs!

Aye, wouldnt imagine Butcher suffers fools gladly.

He wont be enjoying playing in front of a keeper so low in confidence, and I would imagine cant hide it even if he wanted to!

12 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

sort the defence 

McGinn mugabi casey 

or play with just 2 and strengthen midfield by adding miller 

or be brave and drop Kelly - appreciate this is old ground 

We certainly need to find some formula at the back that reduces the amount of really poor goals we lose.

Problem is, any changes we make might upset the parts of the team that are currently doing well.

Going to a back 4 wouldnt be the worst thing re the centre half issues, but we have some really attacking wing backs that are playing well going forward and not suited defensively to a 4. You would also lose some of the width they offer by doing so.

Id definitely like an extra midfielder in there to try and control the play a bit better but if we go that way and stick with 3 at the back instead of a flat 4 it means only one up top and I really liked the look of Bair and Vale together last night in the first half. 

Whatever we do to strengthen by changing formation will have a knock on effect.

It might be just getting the personnel mix right, or tailoring our set up based on the opposition shape.

Not sure there are any easy answers.

2 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

We certainly need to find some formula at the back that reduces the amount of really poor goals we lose.

Problem is, any changes we make might upset the parts of the team that are currently doing well.

Going to a back 4 wouldnt be the worst thing re the centre half issues, but we have some really attacking wing backs that are playing well going forward and not suited defensively to a 4. You would also lose some of the width they offer by doing so.

Id definitely like an extra midfielder in there to try and control the play a bit better but if we go that way and stick with 3 at the back instead of a flat 4 it means only one up top and I really liked the look of Bair and Vale together last night in the first half. 

Whatever we do to strengthen by changing formation will have a knock on effect.

It might be just getting the personnel mix right, or tailoring our set up based on the opposition shape.

Not sure there are any easy answers.

Being allowed to play with 12 men would be the dispensation we need :)

Just looking at last run of results we've conceded 24 goals in last 13 games - in which we've been 
decent overall as a team/chalking up results. 

Completely agree about not breaking the working bits which are generally wingbacks + Spittel + Bair (and now Vale). 

The hard but obvious choice is changing how we defend set pieces - I'd be putting Casey back in and probably swapping Keeper - I don't think we're helping Liam or the team by ignoring how weak we are at set pieces . 

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Kelly

Davor

Bair.          Vale

I would be happy if we went with that team,defensively were poor no matter who we pick but after the last two games we do need to make a change and for me butcher would be the one to get dropped.we need to adopt the same approach as last night,get the ball down and play in the wide areas and balls through the channels for bair.theres no doubt if we go with miller,spittal,bair and vale then we can cause them problems if we're smart in possession.whoever is playing in defence should clatter shankland right away.

5 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

Halliday is on loan from Hearts therefore he cannot play against them

Already been covered mate.

But thanks.

Had forgotten he was on loan.