Motherwell v Celtic 25/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

I don't blame anyone for the equaliser. Once that ball is swung into the box it's a 50/50. It was a good header right on the postage stamp. I've been critical of Kelly recently but there is nothing he could have done with that.

Gutted as we lost to a poor sellik side with support who yet again wreck the away end.    Butcher their best player but substitution has to be made as Casey was struggling.   Lads effort outstanding show same v Livi and we will be fine... keep the faith folks

Just now, Benson said:

BTW the bastards wreked the seats again,mfc fucking bill them for it 3x the price, fecking animals

Hoe many Times has this happened, check it out and its plenty,the smelly bustards are the usual smelly bustards,ask the club if u don't believe me.

Pity it won't happen but I would love us to cut there allocation and just stick the smelly cunts in the top tier,to then have to listen to the outrage and paying the victim that there allocation had been slashed would be something else.

Can we get the Lewis guy the fuck off commentary already? His paranoia is Old Firm-esque and every single touch on a Motherwell player he howls for a foul.

Today when Collum went to the monitor he was bizarrely saying it was because Collum wanted to insert himself into the limelight or something similar, following it up with “it’s only taken 80 minutes”, and he unashamedly glosses over his own comments when Collum does the right thing and sticks by his decision.

It is so hard to listen to.

”A foul there surely on Spittal, but the referee doesn’t seem to think so…” every two minutes.

1 hour ago, mfc said:

Pity it won't happen but I would love us to cut there allocation and just stick the smelly cunts in the top tier,to then have to listen to the outrage and paying the victim that there allocation had been slashed would be something else.

In an ideal world that would be great, but it would never happen due to loss in gate money. Plus it would increase the amount of their fans buying home end tickets which would ensure a poisonous atmosphere in the stands.

In 2022 Celtic outplayed Madrid for 45 minutes but expended so much energy that by the hour mark they were knackered. Madrid ran them ragged and won 3-0. 

I think we suffered the same fate today. A very good 1st half but after an hour we were jagged and they dominated thereafter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellgirl said:

If that's the case why did Spittal score and Bair have the ball in the net? 

Quite right to challenge me on that; a lazy post. I'll explain.

As MJC said earlier, we did look good early on; I'd say for the first 30 minutes or so. We broke well on the counter and by half time could have been 2-0 up and deservedly so. However in the latter part of the first half and for the entire second half we sat back and camped in and around our own box.  There were several reasons for that: Celtic's quality, our tactics, and lack of confidence/self belief. From the 60th minute onwards tiredeness and changes, both enforced and voluntary. Our midfield looked not too bad in flashes on the attack in the first half ie Spittal's well worked goal. However from start to finish we were poor defensively.

Despite fielding what looked like a 5-3-1-1 formation, our defence was all over the place from start to finish. Celtic found space and time in and around our box. This wasn't a one off: Ross County did the same and we've seen this week after week. We were exposed down the flanks. Daizen Maeda in particular was left to his own devices all game for example. It was so depressing at times I really thought that Graham Alexander had returned to the dugout.  When under the cosh we simply refused to come out from our shell. Defensively our midfield was anonymous, and that was a large part of our problems. 

32 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Today when Collum went to the monitor he was bizarrely saying it was because Collum wanted to insert himself into the limelight or something similar, following it up with “it’s only taken 80 minutes”, and he unashamedly glosses over his own comments when Collum does the right thing and sticks by his decision.

I can't comment on the commentary, but it really was the Willie Collum show today. He gave us nothing except cards. We remarked today that its the first time ever that we've seen a referee pull up a player at a throw in for not taking it far enough forward. I kid not. The Celtic player duly obliged by taking about 3 steps forwrd to take the throw in. You couldn't make it up. Mr Inconsistency.  

Thought our first half performance today was generally excellent. We were very disciplined without the ball and made Celtic play around us. We only really coughed up the one chance to Kyogo and Kelly did very well to close him down and block the shot. With the ball I thought we were very good and played some nice stuff and created the better chances. The goal we scored is a thing of beauty and young Millar showed great skill and maturity to set it up. Just a shame we couldnt capitalise on some of the other chances that came our way as a one goal lead is never a comfortable one.

The changes Rodgers made in the second half really made a difference for them. Yang gave Gent a much harder time than Kuhn had in the first half and Idah's physicality and directness was a much different proposition to Kyogo. 

I see some criticising the players for their first goal and I guess there are always things we could do better, but its a fantastic cross and superb finish, so cant be too hard on the defence for that one.

Thought we responded quite well to the goal and had a couple of good chances to get back in the lead before we eventually ran out of steam.

I agree with others that a number of our players were out on their feet towards the end of the game and that substitutions were necessary. However, I also agree with those saying that SK got them wrong and over complicated things. Whether that would have made any difference or not, we will never know, but I do wish SK would just keep things simple.

Overall, very frustrating to lose the point we probably deserved, but we are probably a couple of more windows away from having sufficient quality on our bench to avert what seemed inevitible today after the 70 minute mark.

Hopefully though, the players will take some confidence from our first half performance and take that into Wednesday nights game which is the real biggie.

As for the game. Started excellent, celtic grew into the game last 20mins of 1st half but not causing us much bother.

2nd half sitting back with our dodgy defence & keeper was just inviting disaster. We did cope pretty well with the onslaught but putting a new defence on so late screwed the dynamic.

I thought Vale was superb & was everywhere. In contrast, Shaw was brutal & looked as though he had no clue where he should be playing. I actually would have brought bear back a bit & left a fresh shaw on the half way line to hit them on the break.

A massive kick in the baws but we are definatley a better team now than a few months ago. Three points midweek & try not to make a cunt of it at ibrox then we can hopefully kick on

10 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I can't comment on the commentary, but it really was the Willie Collum show today. He gave us nothing except cards. We remarked today that its the first time ever that we've seen a referee pull up a player at a throw in for not taking it far enough forward. I kid not. The Celtic player duly obliged by taking about 3 steps forwrd to take the throw in. You couldn't make it up. Mr Inconsistency.  

Watched on tv. Thought Collum was actually not too bad today. Nothing too contentious and was surprised he stuck with his original decision on the potential red card for Butcher. A long way from his worst game at Fir Park.

Gutted with the final result, first half display was excellent, chased them down, limited their time on the ball, and deservedly went in ahead at half time, second half tactics all wrong, Sat too deep, invited them on, gave them too much space, that has to be on the manager, Oli Shaw also contributed zero, may as well just go down to 10.

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Quite right to challenge me on that; a lazy post. I'll explain.

As MJC said earlier, we did look good early on; I'd say for the first 30 minutes or so. We broke well on the counter and by half time could have been 2-0 up and deservedly so. However in the latter part of the first half and for the entire second half we sat back and camped in and around our own box.  There were several reasons for that: Celtic's quality, our tactics, and lack of confidence/self belief. From the 60th minute onwards tiredeness and changes, both enforced and voluntary. Our midfield looked not too bad in flashes on the attack in the first half ie Spittal's well worked goal. However from start to finish we were poor defensively.

Despite fielding what looked like a 5-3-1-1 formation, our defence was all over the place from start to finish. Celtic found space and time in and around our box. This wasn't a one off: Ross County did the same and we've seen this week after week. We were exposed down the flanks. Daizen Maeda in particular was left to his own devices all game for example. It was so depressing at times I really thought that Graham Alexander had returned to the dugout.  When under the cosh we simply refused to come out from our shell. Defensively our midfield was anonymous, and that was a large part of our problems. 

We've clearly lost confidence. But somehow we need to get it back for Wednesday. I think we miss Slattery too. 

Absolutely gutted again at that result 

Luckily I also follow the Red of LFC and made the day slightly not as bad with a fortunate cup win

On a more serious note I would have swapped a Haribo LFC win 🏆 for 3 points today , some of their followers (Celtic) are not pleasant at all 🙈 

4 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

some of their followers (Celtic) are not pleasant at all 🙈 

Very true, although most of the online bile I've seen since full-time has come from Rangers fans. Shoe will be on the other foot and booting us next week, as it did Hearts yesterday. The pair of them really do believe the other teams exist only to suit their requirements. 

10 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

some of their followers (Celtic) are not pleasant at all 🙈 

They certainly aren’t. The levels of obnoxiousness and entitlement in the Celtic support is off the scale.

As far as the damages in the away stand are concerned it’s not the first time they’ve done this and the club should  report it to the SPFL and the SFA and ensure Celtic FC are charged for all repair and replacement costs. Then in future the club should:

1) Refuse to admit Celtic fans to Fir Park; or

2) Reduce their allocation to a rump; or/and

3) Add a premium to the price of their tickets.

Am pretty sure our club do charge Celtic or any other club that damages seats for the cost... Not saying it's acceptable. 

Banning them would lose us income. We aren't going to do that. 

Personally I would ban them but we can't afford to. 

12 minutes ago, El Grew said:

As far as the damages in the away stand are concerned it’s not the first time they’ve done this and the club should  report it to the SPFL and the SFA and ensure Celtic FC are charged for all repair and replacement costs. Then in future the club should:

1) Refuse to admit Celtic fans to Fir Park; or

2) Reduce their allocation to a rump; or/and

3) Add a premium to the price of their tickets.

Is there any reason - legally or otherwise - why the club can't charge away supporters more than home supporters? Something the club should consider for those smelly bastards and the teddy bears too.