New Investment Options

Kmcalpin

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Barmack is giving interviews to the BBC about the deal so I'm glad someone is standing up for fan ownership even if they can't put their name to it. 

Keep the leaks coming

The article looks as if it's been cobbled together from the information in the email that was sent to well society members and the interview the potential investor gave. Where's the evidence that McCafferty knows more than anyone else when it comes to the negotiations - ones that the Well Society aren't involved in at this stage. 

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Barmack is giving interviews to the BBC about the deal so I'm glad someone is standing up for fan ownership even if they can't put their name to it. 

Keep the leaks coming

Standing up for fan ownership by saying he wants to end it.  If that's true, fair enough - prove it.

12 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Keep the leaks coming

That's actually not the case. He made it clear in the interview that details of the proposed investment would remain confidential. He's leaked nothing. 

The Netflix thing is just a hook that journos love to use. Same as "ex-Ranger" or "former Miss Kirkcaldy" (depending on the publication). It's a shorthand way of providing a background most readers are familiar with.

If they used "current Wild Sheep Content CEO" we'd all have to look it up.

14 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Standing up for fan ownership by saying he wants to end it.  If that's true, fair enough - prove it.

I meant whoever leaked to Gavin McCafferty is standing up for fan ownership. 

Nick McPheat asked Barmack if he wanted majority control and he didn't deny it. 

7 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I know what you meant - even though Gavin McCafferty (as far as I can see) didn't mention an unnamed insider as the source of his statement, he just came straight out with it. 

I'm not ideologically for or against fan ownership, but if we continue down that road I don't expect us to be shopping for players or managers anywhere other than where we currently are. I can accept that, as long as the club survives. Will you?

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

He didn't say yes either so in light of that I find the McCafferty piece a tad odd. Particularly because the well society aren't involved in any negotiations at this point - so I am basically calling bullshit on any leaks. 

3 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

I know what you meant - even though Gavin McCafferty (as far as I can see) didn't mention an unnamed insider as the source of his statement, he just came straight out with it. 

I'm not ideologically for or against fan ownership, but if we continue down that road I don't expect us to be shopping for players or managers anywhere other than where we currently are. I can accept that, as long as the club survives. Will you?

Aye. 

Our latest accounts show 6m in turnover and 5m in wages. Weir said player wages are 50% of turn over so we are spending 3m a year (or 58k a week) on players. That's plenty. 

This season we have had 9 or 10 deadweight contracts and are still in the mix for the top 6. The budget is totally fine and even if we see an increase it's not going to bridge us to the level of Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, steelboy said:

Aye. 

Our latest accounts show 6m in turnover and 5m in wages. Weir said player wages are 50% of turn over so we are spending 3m a year (or 58k a week) on players. That's plenty. 

This season we have had 9 or 10 deadweight contracts and are still in the mix for the top 6. The budget is totally fine and even if we see an increase it's not going to bridge us to the level of Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen. 

That's completely correct - but it could have gone either way. A couple of months ago we looked like we were in trouble - and even though we are in the mix for top six - we still aren't mathematically safe either. I personally don't see anything wrong with someone proposing to put money into the club - because that's all it is at this stage. 

I think we just wait until discussions have taken place and then we are in a position to decide.   Everyone coming up with their own assessments when a lot could be hearsay.    Let's focus on tomorrow as it's the priority...COYW

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I think we just wait until discussions have taken place and then we are in a position to decide.   Everyone coming up with their own assessments when a lot could be hearsay.    Let's focus on tomorrow as it's the priority...COYW

Don't bring sound rational thinking into this!!!!!!

What I like is Steelboys thought process where he has made his mind up that any potential deal with an outside investor will result in the death of Motherwell FC, which as far as I can see is based upon knowing:-

1- absolutely nothing

2- pure speculation

3- turning that speculation into fact in his head

But I do respect the fact that he is just carrying on with it as it makes for great reading 🤣

Steelboy, I get that you clearly love Motherwell and the fan ownership model but lets just actually wait and see what the details of the deal are 👍

COYW!!!!!!

• Thanks 4

Barmack said quite clearly that he did not want to disempower the Society. In fact he was all for supporting it and helping it grow, working in a partnership. Without providing any evidence, the Scotsman journalist is essentially calling him a liar. The whole tone of the article could almost convince me it was written by Steelboy, or at the very least he had input. Perhaps we now know his ‘in the know’ source.

At the end of the day Members will decide whether or not to accept any investment offer. So the Society is in a position of strength.  If Barmack suddenly declares he wants majority control, then that vote will likely go against him. And what can he do if the Society does reject his offer?

Let’s wait until we see the full terms of any offer. Then the fans will decide. Steelboy and McCafferty are trying to stir up unrest without any real evidence to support their allegations. Throw enough shit and some will stick appears to be the plan. If there is any basis in their fears then all will become clear in due course. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Barmack said quite clearly that he did not want to disempower the Society. In fact he was all for supporting it and helping it grow, working in a partnership. Without providing any evidence, the Scotsman journalist is essentially calling him a liar. The whole tone of the article could almost convince me it was written by Steelboy, or at the very least he had input. Perhaps we now know his ‘in the know’ source.

At the end of the day Members will decide whether or not to accept any investment offer. So the Society is in a position of strength.  If Barmack suddenly declares he wants majority control, then that vote will likely go against him. And what can he do if the Society does reject his offer?

Let’s wait until we see the full terms of any offer. Then the fans will decide. Steelboy and McCafferty are trying to stir up unrest without any real evidence to support their allegations. Throw enough shit and some will stick appears to be the plan. If there is any basis in their fears then all will become clear in due course. 

It does read like they are looking for that "gotcha" moment.

I am in a weird middle ground. I am all for someone coming in and guiding us in a new direction, with the caveat that if they get bored we we are protected from them selling us off as spares and repairs (which is what the 50+1 does however can totally see why this would put an investor off). Outside of that, I am open to the idea of them having more control if that's what it takes. 

In terms of this particular potential investor, I do like the fact they are not just looking to shovel money in and are actually interested in being hands on. However, I also see why some in the Well Society see that as a threat to the "its my baw" status quo we are currently in. 

TLDR: Fence sitting etc etc 

29 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Let’s wait until we see the full terms of any offer. Then the fans will decide. Steelboy mselves. Diand McCafferty are trying to stir up unrest without any real evidence to support their allegations. Throw enough shit and some will stick appears to be the plan. If there is any basis in their fears then all will become clear in due course. 

I think this international buisness man with years of experience will have sussed out the situation pretty soon and will have decided early enough that he wont get a controlling interest in a fan owned club just like that , so wont try. No matter what Steelboy or others can make up between themselves. Being positive doesn’t make a good story.

lnterested to hear if they thought Les Hutchison was in it for himself and just to make money at the start before he saved the club from ruin.

43 minutes ago, Mccus28 said:

Don't bring sound rational thinking into this!!!!!!

What I like is Steelboys thought process where he has made his mind up that any potential deal with an outside investor will result in the death of Motherwell FC, which as far as I can see is based upon knowing:-

1- absolutely nothing

2- pure speculation

3- turning that speculation into fact in his head

But I do respect the fact that he is just carrying on with it as it makes for great reading 🤣

Steelboy, I get that you clearly love Motherwell and the fan ownership model but lets just actually wait and see what the details of the deal are 👍

COYW!!!!!!

I think everyone wants the best for Motherwell. We all have that in common. If I didn't believe in fan ownership I wouldn't be a member of the Well society. I just think that the we are doing ok as we are isn't completely the case.

The Well Society only has 3000 members I think and tbh that's the cause of all of this. If we had 10000 fans paying in regularly there would be less need to go looking for outside investment 

33 minutes ago, stv said:

I think this international buisness man with years of experience will have sussed out the situation pretty soon and will have decided early enough that he wont get a controlling interest in a fan owned club just like that , so wont try. No matter what Steelboy or others can make up between themselves. Being positive doesn’t make a good story.

lnterested to hear if they thought Les Hutchison was in it for himself and just to make money at the start before he saved the club from ruin.

This.

He said that he had been looking at various clubs here and in England before settling on Motherwell so he could probably have had the choice of several clubs to invest in without the fan ownership model to contend with so if he'd simply wanted to buy a club outright there are plenty he could have chosen before us. 

Only another few weeks before we know the facts and figures of his offer so it'll give us something to talk about over the close season 

7 hours ago, santheman said:

Only another few weeks before we know the facts and figures of his offer so it'll give us something to talk about over the close season 

With some of the posts on here over the last few days, this thought gives me the fear. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, santheman said:

He said that he had been looking at various clubs here and in England before settling on Motherwell so he could probably have had the choice of several clubs to invest in without the fan ownership model to contend with so if he'd simply wanted to buy a club outright there are plenty he could have chosen before us. 

He doesn't just want to buy a club though. He wants to buy a debt free club for free. 

54 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I can't wait to see all "We'll never be asked to give up majority control" people switching to "well 35% is still a good shareholding" overnight. 

It's a certainty. 

If you want to continue with fan ownership, why are you so excited to see folk vote for a takeover you believe is inevitable - just so you can say, I was right?

10 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

If you want to continue with fan ownership, why are you so excited to see folk vote for a takeover you believe is inevitable - just so you can say, I was right?

I think fan ownership gives us stability.

In terms of the takeover I think it's pretty obvious that the Well Society has a cuckoo in the nest who has effectively taken over the Society with the intention of ending fan ownership. Right now we have Barmack doing a media campaign in favour of his proposal and absolutely no one speaking up for the Well Society keeping the majority control.

19 minutes ago, steelboy said:

I think fan ownership gives us stability.

In terms of the takeover I think it's pretty obvious that the Well Society has a cuckoo in the nest who has effectively taken over the Society with the intention of ending fan ownership. Right now we have Barmack doing a media campaign in favour of his proposal and absolutely no one speaking up for the Well Society keeping the majority control.

I've seen more than one well society board member tweet that they don't want to give the majority control up. 

10 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I've seen more than one well society board member tweet that they don't want to give the majority control up. 

I know 2 of them and they're in the same boat as most of us.

Waiting to see what the offer is then making up their minds based on the facts and figures.

Everyone will have their own opinion and particular conspiracy theory.