LIvingston V Motherwell 28/02/2024

Kmcalpin

12 hours ago, MJC said:

Thatโ€™s a potentially season defining result. It looked bleak at half time with the same old story but we grew into it and deservedly won. Again Blair Spittal shows that he is absolutely crucial to us and hopefully we can get him on an extended deal asap.ย 

We wont be getting Blair Spittal on am extended contract. His form will have attracted a number of bigger clubs and he's due his pay day. Mind you if he ends up at St Mirren he's off his head. I seriously think Aberdeen , Hibs or Hearts my be interested and if they are he ain't staying with us.

11 hours ago, TheoBair14 said:

Blair Spittal now on 11 goals this season. We need to get him on a new contract for next season if we can.

Someone please explain to me how anyone sees him staying with us. His form will have attracted a few clubs especially with him being out of contract. So unless these clubs are Scottish Championship clubs we cannot match what he will be offered. There is Zero chance of him being with us next year and anyone thinking he will be is being delusional.

10 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Someone please explain to me how anyone sees him staying with us. His form will have attracted a few clubs especially with him being out of contract. So unless these clubs are Scottish Championship clubs we cannot match what he will be offered. There is Zero chance of him being with us next year and anyone thinking he will be is being delusional.

He may actually want to stay. He's settled, happy, just had a kid, so the improved terms that will be on offer might be enough for him.

46 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We need to show more ambition and give him improved terms and that may mean independent investment.ย 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Yes. It's not beyond the realms of possibility, as Kettlewell isn't some sort of unique budget team manager messiah.ย 

Hibs, Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Ross County all thought the same. (Two of them have a massively bigger budget than us). Why are they not all miles ahead of us in the league ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, couttsy said:

Well done Stuart Kettlewell! Fully expected us to come out 2nd half, continue to move the ball slowly allowing Livi to all get behind the ball, then lose another one on the break. However we completed changed the tempo in the 2nd half, not only by bringing on Vale, who was involved in nearly everything good we did, but by pulling Miller back into that more defensive role where he can ping passes about, I think it suits him much more.

Great 2nd half and some cracking goals. With Miller, Vale, Spittal and Bair now surely certainties to play weโ€™re starting to see a way of playing that works for us.

Yep what you say about miller was the change as wee davor in that position cant kick the ball more than 10 yards so when our full backs pushed on he couldnt find them, miller could and did. Vale coming on was great he roamed about all across the pitch inbetween their defense and midfield and going beyond them sometimes and their defenders didnt know where he was.

!st half wasnt as bad as being made out I felt.ย  we were in control easily but as only bair up top they were comfortable but we had something like 75% posession so all this about 1st half being terrible is wide of the mark.ย 

Gent in for devine on saturday with miller and davor and spittal and vale behind bair for me with nicholson coming on later on for davor when hopefully we are still in game.

Last night worried me a bit when seeing the bench as there was not a midfielder on it. if Miller got injured again we have no one to play there.ย 

Anyway a good night where we dispatched Livi relatively easy and all the martindale will know how to set up against usย  chat was proved to be what it was and that is he is a crap manager and they are bottom of league for a reason.

Onwards and upwards.

28 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Hibs, Aberdeen, St Johnstone and Ross County all thought the same. (Two of them have a massively bigger budget than us). Why are they not all miles ahead of us in the league ?

Your argument against change is centred on defeatism, bordering on denialism. Furthermore, given the season isn't over yet, Iโ€™d also add that it's a bit of a logical fallacy, but the latter could also be applied to my view posted a while ago about not wanting him to see out the season. It's pointless discussing this.ย 

TL;DR - if you want to stick with shite because you're afraid that change might bring more shite, then that's fine. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it or share those views.ย 

4 hours ago, johnstone said:

Great result.

What I find incredible is the absolute seethe I seen on Twitter in the first half. Yes we lost a silly goal, but for about 35 minutes of that half we controlled it comfortably.

Second half he makes the tweaks and we win the game.

But honestly what I was reading last night was bonkers. No wonder players distance themselves from social media.

From the last month or so of fixtures we look to have the team to get us away from the relegation battle and that is basically where we all wanted to be during that bad run.

Also think Miller being out impacted us hugely. His return has us playing far better and getting the ball on the deck.

ย 

ย 

The seethe on twitter tends to start as soon as the team is announced.ย 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

Your argument against change is centred on defeatism, bordering on denialism. Furthermore, given the season isn't over yet, Iโ€™d also add that it's a bit of a logical fallacy, but the latter could also be applied to my view posted a while ago about not wanting him to see out the season. It's pointless discussing this.ย 

TL;DR - if you want to stick with shite because you're afraid that change might bring more shite, then that's fine. That doesn't mean I have to agree with it or share those views.ย 

With respect, we also dont need to agree with your assessment that EVERYTHING has been shite.

I see a young manager struggling for results under difficult circumstances. Making mistakes along the way, but slowly improving things and a squad all bursting a gut for him because they clearly believe in him.

You see someone who is either incompetent or not good enough and who will never improve or get better.

Thats fair enough.

But its way too early to call which is right.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, wellfan said:

You do understand that's kind of the point of a forum like this, yes? Y'know, to discuss opinions and points of view to engage with other fans? Otherwise you'd be better having a blog/Twitter account with the replies locked.

I do take your point about things getting personal, however. That's not needed.

45 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

With respect, we also dont need to agree with your assessment that EVERYTHING has been shite.

I see a young manager struggling for results under difficult circumstances. Making mistakes along the way, but slowly improving things and a squad all bursting a gut for him because they clearly believe in him.

You see someone who is either incompetent or not good enough and who will never improve or get better.

Thats fair enough.

But its way too early to call which is right.

We're agreeing to agree here, although the post you've picked up on was my response to an individual who continually targets my views with personal abuse, thus diluting any valid alternate view they may have.

34 minutes ago, StAndrew7 said:

You do understand that's kind of the point of a forum like this, yes? Y'know, to discuss opinions and points of view to engage with other fans? Otherwise you'd be better having a blog/Twitter account with the replies locked.

I completely understand that, and that's why most of us are here, to engage in good faith. But, I refuse to accept the forum as being a place for targeted personal abuse when someone disagrees with your view, hence why I continually respond to that individual to try to be constructive. Some people here can't enter a debate without signing off with snide personal comments.

• Like 1

Just now, wellfan said:

I completely understand that, and that's why most of us are here, to engage in good faith. But, I refuse to accept the forum as being a place for targeted personal abuse when someone disagrees with your view, hence why I continually respond to that individual to try to be constructive. Some people here can't enter a debate without signing off with snide personal comments.

Aye, I get that; saw your reply above and edited my post to agree with you on that. Personal stuff isn't called for.

Good to see that Vale has followed in the footsteps of Bair in being a signing widely dismissed as being shite before they had kicked a ball for us only to go on and make a valuable contribution to the team.

Am I being naive in thinking that maybe people will, while being allowed to be sceptical of signings ("his statistics aren't great"), hold fire on the "he's garbage, why have we signed him" chat this summer? Just a thought...

2 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Good to see that Vale has followed in the footsteps of Bair in being a signing widely dismissed as being shite before they had kicked a ball for us only to go on and make a valuable contribution to the team.

Am I being naive in thinking that maybe people will, while being allowed to be sceptical of signings ("his statistics aren't great"), hold fire on the "he's garbage, why have we signed him" chat this summer? Just a thought...

Lol steelboy will never change that tune. Ever.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

2 chances๐Ÿซ 

6 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

What might work is he is happy and enjoying his football. Obviously money comes into it but ye never know.ย  I feel I deserve credit as since my meltdown before that free kick v Alloa he has been unbelievable ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

Are you suggesting that some folk write players off before they have even kicked a ball? How dare you? What a terrible thing to say!! ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

9 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

What might work is he is happy and enjoying his football. Obviously money comes into it but ye never know.ย  I feel I deserve credit as since my meltdown before that free kick v Alloa he has been unbelievable ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

See to be honest with you - if he gets a move, he'll have earned it. But we've been in this situation before many times before and the club always carries on, no option.

Having said that - I hope he stays and I hope we offer Slattery new terms too. I think Spittal has always been decent but the entire teams form dipped after we lost to Celtic at the end of September - when I was coming home from a Muse gig in Manchester and the coach was already four hours delayed - brilliant. They got the winner just as I eventually got on the bus. Great day that :)

As I've said so many times before this season at least my brothers pal who takes my season when I can't go hasn't had to watch us get beat - I think they've seen us win once in any game I've not been able to make.ย 

4 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

See to be honest with you - if he gets a move, he'll have earned it. But we've been in this situation before many times before and the club always carries on, no option.

Having said that - I hope he stays and I hope we offer Slattery new terms too. I think Spittal has always been decent but the entire teams form dipped after we lost to Celtic at the end of September - when I was coming home from a Muse gig in Manchester and the coach was already four hours delayed - brilliant. They got the winner just as I eventually got on the bus. Great day that :)

I thought we had sneaked a point that day as I turned to my mate after Spittal equaliser and said..."surely we have done it..........time is running out"

Ah'll get me coat ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ˜œ

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I may have dismissed Bair, which I think was fair at the time because his record before signing for us was mince. However, heโ€™s turned it around and I've since acknowledged that and praised him. His effort was never in question.ย 

On Vale, I was actually more positive, and he's lived up to my expectations and more. For example:ย 

ย