In's And Out's

AndyRoss

Reira's been released by Sunderland so is up for grabs I'd have thought. Hard to believe he was Messi's captain at one point! Decent enough player, a possible punt?

Arnau Riera takes great pride in the success of Barcelona

Manchester United may have been unable to control Lionel Messi in the Champions League final on Wednesday evening, but Arnau Riera used to do it all on his own. The Falkirk midfield player was Messi's captain when the gifted Argentinian was learning his trade in Barcelona's B team.

Riera spent six seasons at the Nou Camp without making it to the first team but that did not dilute his pride at Barcelona's success. "I watched the game on television and celebrated with a few Spanish friends," he said. "I feel very happy for them. I had six years there and I know the culture and football in Barcelona and it never changes. You have to keep the ball.

"I played with some of the players who beat Manchester United and that made me proud. I can say that I was playing with such wonderful players, even if it was only in the Barcelona B team in the Spanish second division.

"Youngsters like Messi and Andrés Iniesta were so talented. Victor Valdés also played with me. You could see Messi was something special and was confident.

Barcelona's youth system is like Arsenal in that every single player at that stage is gifted. There are so many good players that you don't know who's going to make the biggest step to the first team. Xavi was another who was special at an early age." Sadly, the 27-year-old Riera will have to make do with a watching role in the Homecoming Scottish Cup final tomorrow as well. He was shown a yellow card in the semi-final against Dunfermline and is suspended for the final. He also learned yesterday that he has been released by Sunderland, the club who loaned him to Falkirk.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gallacher isn't close to being worth what he'd cost us in wages.

Also: Giggles at the 'any portugese second division player will do' comment. Mon the Football Manager generation.

From the glimpses I've seen of him over the last year or two, this boy could be a fine acquisiton:

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...5354571,00.html

I go down to quite a few Carlisle games each season and from what iv seen of him hes quite good, not perhaps quite as good as hes made out to be. Id certainly say Bridges and Dobie are both better although we have no chance of getting either.

Christian Dailly has been released by Rangers.

I think he could do a job for a team like us but wages might be a problem...

I see Dailly as being the type of player McGhee would go for - particularly in cup games when we go with 5 up top - we could play him as an out and out Centre Right Mid Forward Back

As all have mentioned previously Dailly would be a fantastic signing. Can play anywhere on the park, and has done on numerous occasions for Club and Country. And it would also add another threat with John Sutton and Brian McLean from Corners.

Dailly would be a mighty fine season.

He would be an excellent role model to the youngsters at the club and given his dedication to putting in extra hours at training, I imagine he has a few years left in him.

Dailly would be a terrific signing for us, but we wouldn't get him. He'll either go to Dundee Utd or somewhere like Kilmarnock or Falkirk.

How do you know this? :lol:

Just going by previous experience.

I'd say Dailly going back to Dundee Utd would be more possible than any other move to an SPL club given he has already played for them.

The other clubs I mentioned have always seemed to have been able to sign players that could seriously have done a job for us and we either haven't moved quick enough or offered enough wages etc. For example, remember when Rangers punted McCoist and Durrant and we were supposedly interested in McCoist, but he ended up going to Kilmarnock? And there's been a few others aswell down the years.

I don't know where Christian Dailly will be going, I'm just guessing.

i don't expect to see any new players at fir park until after the celtic, hibs and aberdeen jobs have been filled.

Sadly, I fear you may be right. I'm not so sure the Hibs job is a factor but the other two most definitely are. So our summer transfer activity is once again being dictated by other SPL clubs. And given that both Aberdeen and Celtic are giving it "not rushing it, making sure they get the right man", it could be weeks before any uncertainty is lifted...

The papers are full of Motherwell's transfer negotiations..... criticism.

The papers have no mention of Motherwell's transfer negotiations..... criticism. :lol::rolleyes:

There is a list of targets being worked on, I'd rather read news of who these targets were once they have signed for us.