In's And Out's

AndyRoss

£50k for a proven spl defender and a promising GOALSCORING midfielder isnt too bad at all,esp when ur squads thinner than Homer Simpsons hair. To be honest im not too bothered bout losing MacKay but Davidson could bite us on the arse, tall,powerful box to box midfielder,6 goals in 32 games from mid,and 20 years old. thats the kinda guy who will net St Johnstone a tidy prifit next summer if he has a decent season in the SPL, something id have thought we would be more interested in

That BBC report was interesting tho, So next year were gonna have a team full of youth players/ That will be the same youth players MMG reckons are not good enough for SPL football just now? :cheers:

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That BBC report was interesting tho, So next year were gonna have a team full of youth players/ That will be the same youth players MMG reckons are not good enough for SPL football just now? :cheers:

Thats what concerns me. No disrespect to the young lads but they're not ready or in some cases perhaps not good enough for SPL football. Last season the team proved it lacked the mettle for a fight. This isn't sounding good for the coming campaign and won't help season ticket sales!

Seems to me like the work we need to do getting the pitch up to scratch has taken a massive chunk out of our transfer budget.

Missing out on players to St. Johnstone is worrying in the extreme.

I just hope its not all left to the last minute, or even January again before we get our fingers out, bite the bullet and stump up some money.

From BBS Website

Motherwell manager Mark McGhee admits out-of-contract duo Stephen Hughes and Graeme Smith are likely to move on. However, he hopes to secure on-loan Maros Klimpl on a permanent deal. "Maros wants to stay and we're trying to negotiate something," he said. "It's a case of trying to get a financial deal that allows us to get him." McGhee also suggested that he had missed out with offers for Livingston pair Dave MacKay and Murray Davidson who have joined St Johnstone. "Financially, these are really difficult times and we're going to have to look to the boys coming up from the youth system, which I think is going to become more important for everyone," added McGhee, who was recently priced out of a move for Queen of the South striker Stephen Dobbie. "We tried to sign a couple of players yesterday who we weren't able to afford and who look as though they've ended up signing for St Johnstone, so that's our problem and we have to cut our cloth. "The youth system is really where our squad is going to be coming from, because we aren't going to be out there buying and selling lots of players."

Former Rangers pair Hughes and Smith have been impressive performers for Motherwell this season and McGhee is planning ahead for next season without them. "I'm anticipating they'll leave, but I haven't heard that they've signed for anyone and there are offers on the table," he said. Slovakian defensive midfielder Klimpl will be free to leave Danish side FC Midtjylland in the summer.

So Hughes and Buzz go and all we do is promote from the youth. I'm sorry but he MUST be mis-quoted there, I just don't believe it.

I will stick by what I said earlier, SURELY we can cast the net and get a couple of furreners in to add something to the team, skill flair or just something different to yer average skinny wee scottish boy!! Anyone!?!?!

what I dont understand about it is if he really is going to go with them,why not bed a few in just now when our games mean fuck all, they are going to provide the basis of our team next year but playing them just now (3 months before new season) means were apparently weakening our team?

playing a team of guys who just wana go on holiday now, or giving 3 or 4 young guys their big chance and telling them if they impress they will get a spot on team next season? I know which team id rather watch,and which one would try/work harder

what I dont understand about it is if he really is going to go with them,why not bed a few in just now when our games mean fuck all, they are going to provide the basis of our team next year but playing them just now (3 months before new season) means were apparently weakening our team?

playing a team of guys who just wana go on holiday now, or giving 3 or 4 young guys their big chance and telling them if they impress they will get a spot on team next season? I know which team id rather watch,and which one would try/work harder

:(:cheers::mad:

I refer the Right Honourable Member to a thread entitled 'Team For The Next 5 Games'. At the time, I was mocked. Now the suggestion seems a bit more sensible. but don't expect to see any in the next couple of games either. I see that McGhee has (rightly) stated that he now can't bring in the young guys as he has to be seen to be playing fair by all the other teams involved in a relegation battle. Which is why I advocated playing the younger guys for all five games...

I'm so happy for you. Feel quite free to start your own wee happy clappy club.

"Unbridled optimism is to be admired, right up until it begins to affect one's judgement".

F D Roosevelt

"In the long run, the pessimist may be proven right, but the optimist has a better time on the trip." - Daniel Readon

£50k for a proven spl defender and a promising GOALSCORING midfielder isnt too bad at all,esp when ur squads thinner than Homer Simpsons hair. To be honest im not too bothered bout losing MacKay but Davidson could bite us on the arse, tall,powerful box to box midfielder,6 goals in 32 games from mid,and 20 years old. thats the kinda guy who will net St Johnstone a tidy prifit next summer if he has a decent season in the SPL, something id have thought we would be more interested in

good point mate about davidson being a sellable in the future i was thinking the same weve definately missed the boat on that one.were on the verge of losing smith and hughes and possibly mclean and if klimpl doesny sign permanantly and with the loan players leaving our squad is gonna be tiny.it is worrying if we canny even compete with the likes of st johnstone but hopefully mcghee can get a few players in

It may be of course that MMcG was prepared to offer both lads what he thought they were worth, as squad players. Saints on the other hand see them as first team regulars and were prepared to push the boat out financially. Who knows?

Either way a litlte bit of clarity from MFC, without breaking confidentialities wouldn't go amiss.

I'll tell you now we won't be relegated next season, and unless we go bust, we won't be relegated in the next 5 years either. ICT, Accies, Falkirk/St Mirren (which either one survives), Kilmarnock, St Johnstone and I might add, going by your logic Aberdeen tae will all struggle next season.

That's just crazy to say that we won't be relegated in the next five years unless we went bust. There really is very little, if any difference between the quality of the majority of sides in the top flight just now, and I think it will only get tighter in the next few years if this credit crunch continues the way it's going. Are we really much better than St.Mirren or Falkirk? I think not.

Any of six or seven teams could struggle next season, as you've already pointed out, so it could well be a real scrap for survival and predicting that we will definately not be relegated, not just next year but in the next five is just plain unfounded optimism.

At this moment in time, I'd say that we are just as likely to be relegated next season than not.

That BBC report was interesting tho, So next year were gonna have a team full of youth players/ That will be the same youth players MMG reckons are not good enough for SPL football just now? :lol:

MMG speaks with forked tongue and no longer trust him. He told Coutts he was being released because he wanted an experienced goalkeeper despite Coutts asking about his future in January and assured he was doing well and had been recommended by both Melly and Youngie to get a contract. Coutts told he was being released after last 19's game!!!. Now left at end of Season with no games left to put himself on show and looks like another player could be lost to the game thoroughly disallusioned by it all. Had his best season ever for the 'Well, worked hard and all team mates thought it guaranteed he would get a contract. Knock on effect is at least one has knocked back a year contract as the quote was 'if he has played that well and cant get a contract what chance for me in a year'. Yes MMG reserves the right to select the team, but the sour taste is not telling players sooner so that they have a chance to put themselves in the shop window. So MMG dont give me the bullshit about playing young players, you are just using them to cover your back should next season go horribly wrong!!!

what the fuck is that about? Coutts has represented Scotland at all levels and has been superb in reserves + the 19`s the whole season by all accounts and he`s been released??

who else from the under 19`s has been released?

what the fuck is that about? Coutts has represented Scotland at all levels and has been superb in reserves + the 19`s the whole season by all accounts and he`s been released??

who else from the under 19`s has been released?

Your right he has had a great season and that is his reward..All he asked for was honesty when he frequently asked about his future in January and then in March. There was no dummy out of the pram, he only wanted to be told so clubs could come and watch him. That is the sour taste. Well and truly shafted and unemployed at the worst possible time. Calum Hendrie and Nikki Gallagher also shown the door.

i heard that 1 but from what ive heard he is a bit of a lazy bastard and doesnt look like he will make it into top team, Coutts on the other hand Id have thought wouldnt be far off 1st team,or even going on loan for experience and benefitting us later

maybe Coutts can change his name by deed poll to McGarry/Fitzpatrick/Sheridan then go see MMG, he`d prob get a 5 year deal + a raise! A selling club releasing a very promising 19 year old keeper who has played very well at a good level and is capped by his country at all levels up to u-19? Well done there guys ;)

i heard that 1 but from what ive heard he is a bit of a lazy bastard and doesnt look like he will make it into top team, Coutts on the other hand Id have thought wouldnt be far off 1st team,or even going on loan for experience and benefitting us later

Coutts would have died for the shirt, that is how much he would have loved to have stayed at the 'well. He has appreciated the support he has had from the fans on here and disappointed he cannot be a part of their team in the future.

heard this on real radio this afternoon dont know how reliable it is but apparently charile adam is at the game today with his agent and is in signing talks with us just need to wait and see what happens :P

heard this on real radio this afternoon dont know how reliable it is but apparently charile adam is at the game today with his agent and is in signing talks with us just need to wait and see what happens :P

Well, Blackpool had a £300,000 bid rejected midweek so, highly doubt that.