In's And Out's

AndyRoss

Chat on Pie and Bovril regarding McLean going to St Johnstone.

We're gonna miss out on a few names again this summer due to uncertainty.

There's obviously not much work being done on improving or sealing new contracts for those requiring them.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It really is worrying with just 3 weeks to our first game.

It currently looks like:

In

Michael Fraser - I.C.T

Out

Mark McGhee - Aberdeen

Scott Leitch - Aberdeen?

Brian McLean - St Johnstone/St Mirren?

Maros Klimpl - Championship/Plymouth?

Graeme Smith - Aberdeen/Championship?

Stephen Hughes - Aberdeen/OF/Hearts?

Artur Krysiak - End of Loan/Unattached

Semih Aydilek - End of Loan/Birmingham

Cillian Sheridan - End of Loan/Celtic

Potential Outs

David Clarkson - Aberdeen?

Mark Reynolds - Championship/Rangers?

Paul Quinn - Russia? :lol:

With very little time to our first game, with probably no time to be able to sign a new manager (potentially after having to agree compensation and wait for McGhee to finally leave), and for them to identify and sign any new players. We could almost be looking at a team for our first game of (and this is all on the off chance these guys remain fit and aren't requiring any Summer surgery, or carry any knocks through Pre-Season):

Management: None

GK. Fraser

LB. Hammell

CB. Craigan

CB. Reynolds

RB. Quinn

LM. Murphy

CM. Lasley

CM. Fitzpatrick

RM. J.O'B

ST. Clarkson

ST. Sutton

Subs

1. McGarry

2. D.L.S

3. Saunders

4. Hutchison

5. Page

6. Slane

7. Meechan/McHugh

(Only 2 of which subs, have any sort of substantial first team experience, and neither would I put much faith in).

That is disgarding the fact that some/all of the other 3 may move on as well in the meantime.

Worrying times..

Only worrying if we didn't sign any players ourselves.

That was my point, with only a few weeks to go until our first game, no management team in place to sign ANY players..

It is a lengthy process at times, to find our new manager, agree compensation/contract, sign it. For him to then go and identify someone, get a deal in place and have him then on the books of M.F.C.

I will find it very surprising if we have anyone in for the first game of our "European Tour". And when you look at our squad and the pending players that are about to leave. We need what 4-8 players to have some sort of squad to choose from.

I will find it very surprising if we have anyone in for the first game of our "European Tour". And when you look at our squad and the pending players that are about to leave. We need what 4-8 players to have some sort of squad to choose from.
I can't remember who posted it, but they were saying they aren't too worried if we don't have new players in place for the start of European Tour. I tend to agree with that. I'm not too fussed if we don't have new faces the first week in July if we end up with 2 or 3 decent players in place by the start of the real season.

I think in the current financial climate, there are going to be a lot more players available than club's needing them over the summer, so I'm not ready to panic yet.

There's obviously not much work being done on improving or sealing new contracts for those requiring them.

The flip side of that coin is why rush and sign these guys up now on new 2yr contracts when any new manager might not want them. That's just frittering away an already tight budget the new guy would have. It's even tighter with the probable news from Setanta.

Yeah, it's harsh but, sadly, that is the way we have let football become.

No, a Pre Contract Agreement isn't legally binding. Last I heard TB was still trying to persuade him to stay.

Yeah apparently there is loop holes in Pre contracts which players can do a U-Turn. I wouldn't be too dissapointed if he never came. I remember him trying to get Ian Black to stay.

Being realistic I see us signing 2 players max and promoting some youth to the first team. McGhee hinted that already and with no Setanta money available I see 9 other SPL clubs being the exact same.

Wouldn't get your knickers in a twist waiting for signings.

Given the Setanta debacle I don't think there will be many SPL clubs going into the transfer market. Players will now need to take a reality check with regard to contracts and wage demands now because there may be quite a number of them who will become unafordable quite shortly. It's likely that at least one SPL club (Kilmarnock?) will fold as a result of all of this and another two are on extremely dodgy ground (Hamilton and Falkirk?).

I actually reckon there will be bargains to be had out there in terms of player salaries. Given everyone is tightening their belts, players will have to lower their demands. I mean, what else are these guys going to do? Get a real job...?

Is it just me or is Motherwell falling to bits!

Falconer off as well!

I'd heard Wullie Wullie Pettigrew was no longer there as well, is this true?

Given the Setanta debacle I don't think there will be many SPL clubs going into the transfer market.

The SPL are giving the clubs the TV money owed to us all to 'tide us over' and they will get it from Setanta.

An as Melvin says there will be bargains to be had as clubs release players and salary demands may have to be less from players in this climate.

Given all this I would be extremely dissapointed if we didn't replace EVERY player going out with a NEW signing. It would also be folly for the majority of these to be 'loans' as we need to build on our assets but one or two loans would be fine. Still we should be looking to replace Smith, Krysiak, Klimpl, Malcolm, Hughes, Sheridan.

That would only take us up to what was a paper thin squad last season!!

6 new players should be the LEAST we should expect.

6 new players should be the LEAST we should expect.

Meanwhile, in the real world: We'll get fuck all until we get a new manager. We also won't get six players. We'll get two or three, tops. Maybe a loan from the Old Firm.

I know times are hard but if you look at who we've lost recently we should surely have enough to sign a good few players. Hughes, Porter and Malcolm would have been among the higher earners and Smith would possibly have been on the next tier. If you add their wages to the reported £200,000 we should get for McGhee and a possible transfer fee if anybody else leaves we should be in a better position than a fair few SPL clubs.

I know times are hard but if you look at who we've lost recently we should surely have enough to sign a good few players. Hughes, Porter and Malcolm would have been among the higher earners and Smith would possibly have been on the next tier. If you add their wages to the reported £200,000 we should get for McGhee and a possible transfer fee if anybody else leaves we should be in a better position than a fair few SPL clubs.

Even if you remove part of Porter's wages and possibly Hughes', it still leaves a chunk of wage bill. Could easily pick up three players for Malcolm's wages that would contribute six times more than he did. One cautionary note would be that we're the only SPL club having to replace a pitch this summer.

The fact is we've been run more carefully than most clubs in the last few years, so hopefully we'll see the benefits compared to Hibs, Falkirk, Kilmarnock and others...

Meanwhile, in the real world: We won't get six players. We'll get two...

If you honestly think there is even a possibility we only sign two new players then you are remaining remarkably calm about it as we would be heading straight for the first division - we won't even pass Go.

That would leave us with a 'squad' of 13 First Team players!!

McLean is yet to sign, so it could only be 12!! Add in your 'two' signings and promote a few youth it could barely reach 20 AND that is using the best of the U19 team!!

Madness mate, we need 6 to be comfortable, 7 or 8 to really be safe incase of injuries etc...

If you honestly think there is even a possibility we only sign two new players then you are remaining remarkably calm about it as we would be heading straight for the first division - we won't even pass Go.

That would leave us with a 'squad' of 13 First Team players!!

McLean is yet to sign, so it could only be 12!! Add in your 'two' signings and promote a few youth it could barely reach 20 AND that is using the best of the U19 team!!

Madness mate, we need 6 to be comfortable, 7 or 8 to really be safe incase of injuries etc...

100% correct. McGhee's big excuse last season was the injuries/suspensions cost us last season. I, for one would take a slight drop in the pedigree (note I said pedigree, not necessarily quality) of player if it meant we had a slightly larger squad. By pedigree and not quality, I'm suggesting that we could find a player who could be at least equally as effective as Stephen Hughes in his position but without the big name and the big salary that the name brings. Maybe time to try and re-create some of the feeling of Butcher's first season by getting some young hungry players. Difference is that this time, we already have experienced players to play with them. How many Motherwell games have Clarkson, Craigan, Lasley, Quinn and Hammell played combined? I don't have the figures to hand but I imagine it would be staggering given only one of them over 30...