Roman Road

pretzel

Alright dude? Anything specific you need? The location is near Merry Street near town centre. Aqua Tech and House's are on the land now.

Dalziel Park the other old ground is next to Airbles Streets and Parkhead Streets, just a stone throw from asda and was located near that massive long tower block just off Brandon. I think info is hard to find due to the fact the clubs been at Fir Park for so long.

Just PM if you need anything else.

Cheers bud, again to my rescue LOL....

I know Roman Road was around the town cross area but there is also a Roman Road down by Colville Golf Course at the Jerviston area. Do you have a picture or two.

Thanks for info on Dalziell, i would have made an arse of that as i thought that was down behind Motherwell College.

THANKS AGAIN MATE

That looks a neat wee pitch where is that? i was up ladywell the other week and there was one similar like that.

The main reason the club left the previous grounds was firstly because of houses were planned on the area. Secondly the Pitch drainage in both pitch's caused alot of headaches. Fir Parks catching up lol

The aerial view shown is of the old Motherwell Stadium. This has been unused for a number of years now. I remember it was developed with a covered grandstand and used for Harness Racing (Trotting) sometime during the 1970s. That didn't last too long though and it fell into disrepair and the site was eventually cleared.

I can remember playing for my old school (Knowetop PS) on it about 1969 against Calder PS.

I'm not certain but I don't think this was the original park used by Motherwell FC and known as Roman Road. I was always told the Roman Road park was actually the old swing park that used to be on the Roman Road off Milton Street and past Muir Street Primary School.

As I say I'm not sure and maybe somebody older and with better knowledge of the area could let us know.

Agree with El Grew, (my fellow Knowetop Primary FP), that ariel is/was Motherwell Stadium. Think it hosted Speedway at some point.

I'm not certain where the Roman Road pitch was precisely located, (part of town which was always known as Bandit Country by us folks from Knowetop), however surely Motherwell Library would have such info. Maybe even worth your while contacting Ordnance Survey archives. Sure I've got an OS map of the town from the 1930's. I'll need to look it out and see if there are any clues.

I too believe Glencairn Tower now stands approximately where Dalziel Park was.

+ Kat, perhaps you should check but I'm pretty sure its Hamilton Academical (with no 's' at the end).

Its the Motherwell Stadium,which as previously stated used to host "trotting" on a large sand/ash track around the outside perimeter, on the inside of that was a tar macadam track which had "stock car" racing, and in the middle was a football park which was mainly grass and if my memory serves me right was red ash on the wings.

North Motherwell boys club used to play and train on the park 1970s as they had a hall which backed on to the stadium on Milton street oppsite junction with Woodburn street.

The stadium had a bar/restaurant/cabaret bar which overlooked the stadium I think it closed about 1975/6

I think the Roman Road ground was where the Aquatec and Daisy park centre are now at the top of Caldergrove,I know the Roman Road Gospel hall has been there since 1875, its just off Merry Street.

The old Mothewell stadium was a place, plenty of stock cars and pony trotting, mind you and not much football. I used to live on the street that the gates to enter the stadium were on and was a funny sight watching people getting into the boot of the car for free entry, plus the joys of getting a free ride on the horse boxes in our younger days were exciting, if you spooked a horse you got a chase with a whip which was even more exciting. the park there now does not get used as often as it should. MFC were doon the road a wee bit but Motherwell is Motherwell.

I played for North Motherwell at The Stadium, great memories of our own personal 'Wembley' style bowl. Played a cup-tie there with WTFC last season although had another game called off thanks to a fuckin' great hole just after the 18 yard line which filled with water when it rained. Don't know what happened to that. Shame cos it was a smashing pitch at one time and a great venue for us amateurs.

I always thought that the old ground was at the pitch just off Milton Street

You learn something new everyday

Where you've got the 'A' on your map is more or less on top of the house I grew up in. :P

I have a vague recollection of being told by someone that the club actually considered moving to the Stadium rather than building the current main stand. I believe the Stadium was owned by a family called Reid (there was a house on the corner of Milton Street and Morton Street which they lived in).

Actually, here's a question...how long has the present East Stand structure been there?

According to Football Grounds of Britain "two years later the current Enclosure roof was built...".

Referring to the record attendance of 35,632 against Rangers in March 1952. Though it needed reroofing after a gale in 1959.

Its the Motherwell Stadium,which as previously stated used to host "trotting" on a large sand/ash track around the outside perimeter, on the inside of that was a tar macadam track which had "stock car" racing, and in the middle was a football park which was mainly grass and if my memory serves me right was red ash on the wings.

North Motherwell boys club used to play and train on the park 1970s as they had a hall which backed on to the stadium on Milton street oppsite junction with Woodburn street.

The stadium had a bar/restaurant/cabaret bar which overlooked the stadium I think it closed about 1975/6

I think the Roman Road ground was where the Aquatec and Daisy park centre are now at the top of Caldergrove,I know the Roman Road Gospel hall has been there since 1875, its just off Merry Street.

Fux ake... Quite the expert.

And a thought you just went down there for the dogging. :P

It should be possible to view ( and get copies for a small charge) of historic OS maps for the area showing exactly where the old grounds were. Try the library first and if not there, then the building control archives. You should be able to see all editions which generally start from some time in the 1860s so it should be covered.