Roman Road

pretzel

The stadium had a bar/restaurant/cabaret bar which overlooked the stadium I think it closed about 1975/6

Ah, the Gay Gordon (try calling a boozer that these days)! Bit of a rough shop. One local character got stabbed there one Friday night, was taken to the Law and duly patched up with the intent being that he would be detained overnight for observation. Having declined to make a complaint, he signed himself out, returned to the scene of the crime and exacted retribution. Those were the days.....

A speedway friend of mine confirmed that Lanarkshire Eagles used the stadium from 1954-58. It was also used as a trotting track in the 70s and for junior football after that. It appears to have been on the site of a former colliery bing. I'm trying to track down some old photos.

It appears to have been on the site of a former colliery bing. I'm trying to track down some old photos.

There was a large bing between the Stadium and the railway - it was removed in the 60s (IIRC, post-Aberfan), so there may well have been one on the actual site.

however surely Motherwell Library would have such info. Maybe even worth your while contacting Ordnance Survey archives. Sure I've got an OS map of the town from the 1930's. I'll need to look it out and see if there are any clues.

Motherwell Library resource centre did indeed have all this info, and old O/S maps. I remember reading up on it years ago when I worked there. You could also check the old Motherwell Times they had on microfiche (right back to the early issues). I think all that stuff moved to the museum / blue tower thing that opened up.

Have had a look at old OS maps on here. I can't see any stadiums in the 1864 maps which I know would've been to early but Fir Park can be seen in the 1898 map (albeit sitting relatively on it on).

[OOR_WULLIE]Jings, Crivvens & Help Ma Boab!![/OOR_WULLIE]

I hadn't realised just how much land the Parkneuk pits took up. This means that the Stadium didn't exist until after WW II. I know a fellow who lived in the house next to mine and one across the road, he might recall it being built.

I hadn't realised just how much land the Parkneuk pits took up.

I believe Motherwell has its roots in the merger of a feast of mining villages; Ladywell, Jerviston, Knowetop, etc., etc., etc., ......... we could very easily have been known as The Miners.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed on Milton Street and used tae play up the Stady it was some size of pitch I am sure it was actually wider than Hamden, and either 79-80 I saw the great Eddie Kid the stunt guy on the bike.