Mcghee On Next Season

postiejim

"I'm not prepared to wait until the start of next season because there is going to be changes, if necessary, and that includes these last five games.

"Anyone who doesn't want to be part of it can tell me now and move on. Every single one of them has the opportunity to be with us next season but they have to show me over the next five games that they want to be here."

Well said Mark Give them a date to make up there minds, stick to it and if they haven't made up there minds let them go and get someone else in.

you take that from the BBC interview PJ?

Give them a date to make up there minds, stick to it and if they haven't made up there minds let them go and get someone else in.

I only hope if this is his stance, that he actually sticks by it this time instead of folding like he did when Malcolm ignored his deadline to sign on in time

As always would like to see some young players blooded. Games might not mean a lot to us but they'll be up against some hungry opposition and could be some good games without real pressure to see how they cope in the trench war fare of SPL fitba.

The hope is at least with a few youthfu players in theory hungry to impress they might inspire the more experienced lads around them to put in the effort and least see us out with a few wins and some reason to be cheerful for next season.

News of the World today has him saying he isn't going anywhere this Summer and is preparing for next season. Also carries the bit about players showing thbey want to be here in the next 5 games as well.

Good on you Mark. It's good to hear positive remarks from you about next season.

News of the World today has him saying he isn't going anywhere this Summer and is preparing for next season. Also carries the bit about players showing thbey want to be here in the next 5 games as well.

Good on you Mark. It's good to hear positive remarks from you about next season.

Deja Vu - didn't he say exactly the same last season before almost boarding a plane to Lithuania?

Yeah but rumours of Hearts had been doing the rounds quite a bit at that point. There have been no such rumours (so far!!) this time.

I honestly believe that he'll be here next season, more to rebuild damage done to his and the clubs reputation this season than anything else.

At the start of the season we thought he'd be offered the Celtic job if Strachan left at the end of it. That is now unlikely, their fans won't be happy taken on someone that at so many clubs has had a good first season and then a poor second.

Mark needs to show that he can turn this season around and show that at the very least we can be knocking on the top 6 door again, if not better.

I know I am happy for him to stay and although there are decisions that we all wonder why to, they are many more that have turned out well for us.

The only thing I ask is that we don't re-sign Bob Malcolm.

Hughes on the other hand, he'll play outstanding for half a game then drop out it, like yesterday.

A very frustating player, Neil. He has talent in abundance but is very inconsistent. Yesterday was the perfect stage for him to perform and he simply didn't rise to the occasion. He had perhaps about a couple of very good runs but apart from that did virtually nothing. At Kilmarmock recently his name was hardly mentioned by the commentators. These were 2 huge games for us.

Also in the cup replay at Paisley, on a decent pitch he didn't really come to life until very late on ...just too late as it turns out.

Maybe its the players round about him that don't suit his style...who knows, but he isn't the same player he was last term.

Like many I am quite glad McGhee has said what he has and I too hope he sticks by it. The problems for me this season were laid before Christmas and the amount of games we lost due to poor defending but generally not at the back but from the midfield.

The way I see it is that Bob Malcolm was never interested in playing for us; Stephen Hughes is a great football player but suffers from a lack of application he has had all his career. A play making midfielder should always be there looking for the ball. How often do you see him standing on his own waiting for it to happen. I just don't think Sutton is good enough for the SPL. I always say that the spine of the team needs to be the strongest and this year we have been pretty weak. Ultimately the season has been spoiled by too many draws.

The other big problem we have is with the pitch, and there is only one person to blame for that. At the end of last season the pitch was supposed to have been lifted, the drainage and heating repaired and a new surface relaid. It was quite obvious at the pre-season matches that it had only been patched and this season again we ended up with nothing better than a tatty field. I played on better pitches as a school boy. Hopefully this summer it will get done properly and we can have a proper surface to play on.

However, all is not lost. I thought it was a vivid reminder of how bad things could be with the picture of Twaddle and Townsley in this weekends pogramme. Next season will be fine.

This season has had its ups and downs. Trip and the team performance in Nancy was good. We all have memories that will last a life time from that.

What it boils down to is that we have generally been poor all season. I can't actually remember a game this season at Fir Park where I have been impressed with our football. We have just been grinding out results with no real quality. Which brings us onto the signings.

We lost Rossco, Jim Paterson and Chris Porter. I feel these three have not been adequatley replaced. We have resorted to a few loan signings Sheridan, Lappin etc and this brings no team continuity. Klimpl has been succesfull, but if he goes then we are back to square one which helps no man or beast. We spent money on Bob Malcom who has been a total disaster. John Sutton seems to be going backwards after his great start for us. Now looks a shadow of the player we knew. Jim O'Brien looks a prospect, but as seen on Saturday can be bossed out of a game far to easy. Stevie Hammel has been OK - but nowhere near as effective as Jimbo.

If we are to get anywhere hear the top six again we need to invest in the future of the squad and not fanny about with loan signings. Something the manager needs to look at.

So lets talk about McGhee. Seems to be a decent guy who has the respect of the players. In terms of tactics, well he got us playing some real top notch football when he first arrived and now we have been found out - and he has no plan B. He seems to want to shake things up for big games. See Nancy, St Mirren etc - and it doesn't work. Last week against Aberdeen I thought we were just unlucky and could have won the game by a few goals, now would it not make sense to just play the same formation against St Mirren? I would have thought so, but McGhee didn't and we put in our worst performance of the season.

Another factor in our league position is that bloody pitch. We are a team thats main strength is fast attacking football on the deck. We can't play that with the pitch we have so McGhee has to resort to long ball tactics which we aren't very good at. This has lost us enough points to put us in the bottom six and its a crime that is wasn't fixed in the Summer. No amount of letters or keeping fans happy is going to get away from the fact our pitch has been a shambles and has caused our downfall. And thats down to Mr Boyle.

As for next season - well fix the pitch properly and if we can't affored to buy players, then just start playing our reserves - they seem pretty good and stop these shite loan deals!

With McGhee saying this it is clear to me he feels as let down after Saturday as we do.

I think he is great manager for a club of our stature and I hope he is with us next season. It will be interesting to see how he turns this around and gets the players back on song.

And totally agree the pitch is a major problem this season, and with a new surface next year we could be back to our best.

On the 'Well!

Good post Mr Johnstone.

In general I'm a McGhee fan - i think he's a great manager and hope we hang on to him - but there have been a few mistakes this season. he'll know better than me what he was trying to achieve in certain games - but I just doidn't get it at times.

I'd add that one of the big factors in player performance this year has been lack of confidence. I feel that the way he chops and changes affects some worse than others. he plays someone who is not in their best form quite often and drops someone who has played a blinder the week before.

Fitzpatrick is a guy I like - in and out the team like a yo-yo early in the season he came on regularly for Big Boab and added a wee bit of football to the midfield. More recently he didn't play too badly then has been out for the last few. We could have done with him at Ibrox and against St Mirren and Aberdeen at Fir park in recent weeks instead of McGarry (Dons / Gers) or any one of 10 central defenders on sat.

Murphy - disappointing this season although again in and out like a yo-yo early on and let down badly by MMcG in the Nancy tie.

Big Boab - any of our midfielders on the bench while he was play must've been greeting into their beer at night.

The inability to get a blend between Porter, Sutton, Clarky and Murphy frustrated the life out of everybody - particularly the players.

Lasley - again in and out - at times in the team when not playing well. Had a good game a few weeks back and was dropped.

O'Brien - signed him then didn't play him. I was one of the guys who liked him pre-season. yet he didn't get a sniff til the Inverness match at the turn of the year probably. One of the reasons folk got on his back was that we signed him and appeared to be a slacker on the bench - Could McGhee have got more out of him sooner?

Just a couple of random thoughts.

I believe in playing the guys in form - not shoehorning your favourite defenders into a starting XI because you like them.

Still - on saying that - i think we've got a good manager. Could be doing with a wee bit of the Tommy Mclean spirit though. he'd have made mincemeat out of that rangers team at ibrox - with the same squad McGhee has. Compare how the chipmunks team shut the opposition down compared to last sat and the space that Mendes and Co were offered.

This season has had its ups and downs. Trip and the team performance in Nancy was good. We all have memories that will last a life time from that.
While I'm sure the fans had a great time in Nancy, I actually thought the team performance was pretty poor (including zero shots on goal). I think this was the first of the various times McGhee chose a formation that just didn't suit the players.

I'm disappointed that we didn't make the top 6 this year, but given the position we were in earlier, it was a decent achievement to still be in the mix until the last game before the split.

Have to say i was pleased with the comments MM made about here to stay next season and anyone who isn't interested should sling their hook. TOTALLY mystified by the...Best Motherwell team in FORTY YEARS quote. :rolleyes::P .Any Well fan over 30 will know that's gumf. Better than the team with Krivokapic that chased Rangers all the way in '94 or the cup winning team of '91. NAE CHANCE! Concentrate on getting 5 new players for next season PLEASE Mark and lets do our talking on the a new bowling green pitch for next season. :lol: .