Does Mcghee Live In Cloud Cuckoo Land

andybug

Just read the sun,, (sorry guy had it at work) and was totally stunned to see Mcghee's comment that this is the best footballing team at Fir Park for 40 years.

Now I can remember the team in the Nineties with Coyne and co and they were a far better side

Maybe his words have been taken out of context if not the guy needs to get a reality check

Article in the sun today with Mcghee telling us Motherwell supporters that we are watching the best football played at Fir Park in 40 years!!

where the f*k does this guy get the neck(even though he doen't have one) to suggest this, forgive me but really, i doubt Mr McGhee has ever been interested in watching Motherwell play prior to him taking over as manager, and even since taking over, his talking tends to concern blowing smoke up celtics arse rather than concentrating on his job at hand!!

ok we got to Europe last season, but really this year i feel has been horrific, i've rarely enjoyed a game, we have too many players who think they are better than they are and no individual players that could light up a game!!

i watched many a better motherwell team in the 70s and even under wee tommy there were a few good years, especially cup final season when we played some great stuff, how i'd long to see someone talented at our club again the likes of davie cooper.

Also even the team that narrowly got beat to Dortmund was an excellent side, much better than the dross that played on saturday!! also there have been individuals since that have been a pleasure to watch such as McFadden. Our present team joined could not match his ability.

McGhee in my opinion has brought one thing to the club, and thats fitness, nothing else!! and to tell me that this is the best in 40 years is a disgrace and a discredit to some great teams of the past.

Must admit, when I read that on the official site in the work earlier it did annoy me slightly. It's nonsense, dunno why McGhee felt the need to make such a claim. It wouldn't be so much of an issue if it was a matter of opinion, but why would he even have the knowledge of Motherwell sides from the past 40 years in order to form his opinion?

As I've said before, McGhee does have ability as a football manager, but some of the stuff he comes out with at times is ridiculous. Every time he opens his mouth I seem to dislike the guy even more. At least he's not touting himself for jobs these days, although I'd assume that's more to do with our league position not being able to back up his claims he's a top manager.

Stuff and nonsense.

You could make a case for last seasons team on some of their performances but even then the McLean teams 89-91 and 93-94 era for me are ones I enjoyed watching most, can't speak for teams from 69-86 but I daresay teams with Wark and Pettigrew at their peak might also have a shout.

Been said a few times, we do know how McGhee likes to talk things up! :rolleyes:

What an ignorant, arrogant tosser he really is.

As I've said before, nomatter what he does in his time at Motherwell, if he were to walk into Jack Daniels in 40 years time, he wouldn't get a reception anywhere near what guys like Terry Butcher or even Billy Davies would get from the 'Well fans, because he obviously doesn't care about our club - only about himself. I don't want him sacked - he's doing a good enough job, but he's just not a likable character.

Frazzle

Man for man our team when we finished 2nd and 3rd in the early 90's was better, but I don't remember the football being as good as it was last November/December when we were really in full flow.

Saying that, that early 90's team nearly won the league. Would I preffer almost winning the league or fancy Scottish Brazil football? Theres really not a comparison is there.

The best football we ever played in all my time as a 'Well fan was the 5-3 win over Dundee United. Sadly, that game will forever be remebered for the loss of Uncle Phil, but the football played that day was simply magical.

Article in the sun today with Mcghee telling us Motherwell supporters that we are watching the best football played at Fir Park in 40 years!!

where the f*k does this guy get the neck(even though he doen't have one) to suggest this, forgive me but really, i doubt Mr McGhee has ever been interested in watching Motherwell play prior to him taking over as manager, and even since taking over, his talking tends to concern blowing smoke up celtics arse rather than concentrating on his job at hand!!

ok we got to Europe last season, but really this year i feel has been horrific, i've rarely enjoyed a game, we have too many players who think they are better than they are and no individual players that could light up a game!!

i watched many a better motherwell team in the 70s and even under wee tommy there were a few good years, especially cup final season when we played some great stuff, how i'd long to see someone talented at our club again the likes of davie cooper.

Also even the team that narrowly got beat to Dortmund was an excellent side, much better than the dross that played on saturday!! also there have been individuals since that have been a pleasure to watch such as McFadden. Our present team joined could not match his ability.

McGhee in my opinion has brought one thing to the club, and thats fitness, nothing else!! and to tell me that this is the best in 40 years is a disgrace and a discredit to some great teams of the past.

Please, please. please fuck up. How many more anti McGhee threads do we need. Away and read yer sun and have a wank.

The football we have played since McGhee has been brilliant to watch and he's probably not far wrong.

I watched some cracking teams and players over the 40 odd years of supporting the Well, but I'd agree that some of the football played last year was sublime.

Agree with Rickoza that the 5-3 win over Utd was superb (but will sadly live in memory for Uncle Phil) - another for me was the league cup win over Hibs at Fester Road - blowing the Sheep away in a devastating first 15\20mins at FP early in the season to name but 3

MON RA DOSSERS

Well what he actually said was, "the way we played LAST SEASON was AS GOOD AS any Motherwell team of the past 40 years" Not better than, not even the best, despite what the title of this thread says.

I have to be honest here and say that the man has a point, I cant remember seeing a Motherwell side play like we did against Hibs at Easter Road in the League Cup, the way we took Aberdeen apart at Fir Park, just a few short weeks before Phil died, was magnificent, and, in both those games we were AS GOOD AS anything I can recall in the past 40 years.

The author of the thread needs to learn to read, I'm pretty sure after Saturday's performance there are plenty things about McGhee you can moan about, but twisting his words and changing what he said to make a point is pathetic. Of course, if you will read the sun.

Well what he actually said was, "the way we played LAST SEASON was AS GOOD AS any Motherwell team of the past 40 years" Not better than, not even the best, despite what the title of this thread says....I have to be honest here and say that the man has a point.... , I cant remember seeing a Motherwell side play like we did against Hibs at Easter Road in in both those games we were AS GOOD AS anything I can recall in the past 40 years.

Yes, I'd agree with that. Maybe Willie MacLean's team of the mid 70s was better to watch but thats up for debate.

For all his success, Tommy MacLean's teams were rarely great to watch - some exceptions of course like cameo performances from the likes of Davie Cooper.

I did however take a perverse delight in watching wee Tommy's sides take an absolute pounding for 89 minutes and then sneaking a 1-0 win.

Last year was certainly the most entertaining 'Well side I can remember watching, whether it was as good as the team with the likes of Coyne, Arnott, Martin etc that had 2nd and 3rd placed finishes that I vaguely remember from my younger days, is an interesting debate, as the game has moved on, but in my years as a season ticket holder- must be about 15 years now, then yes, this is the best squad of players I've witnessed.

There was a point during saturday's game when we were breaking up the park and i said to my mate "If only that was Vic Davidson on the ball and Graham , Marinello and Wullie P out there we would have been celebratin' right now" Goin back a bit , but we were afraid of no one then and i doubt Mr. McGhee was watchin' THE MIGHTY WELL 35 YEARS AGO !

I think McGhee is pinning his hopes on, like us that Boyle & Co. come through with the pitch work. The test for McGhee and the lads is the first couple of months of next season, a fresh park and a fresh season to prove that McGhee is right.

I honestly don't think any of the teams above us are better footballing sides than us, and I know for certain the teams below are not better footballing sides than us (if you class footballing as get the ball on the deck and pass it). Although many a time this season our footballing side has been our downfall. Needing to pass it 30 times before taking a strike at goal far to often.

There was a point during saturday's game when we were breaking up the park and i said to my mate "If only that was Vic Davidson on the ball and Graham , Marinello and Wullie P out there we would have been celebratin' right now" Goin back a bit , but we were afraid of no one then and i doubt Mr. McGhee was watchin' THE MIGHTY WELL 35 YEARS AGO !

Hear-Hear :D

I wish folk would get off McGhees back, this is the guy everyone loved last season but just cos a few players have under peformed at times we haven't got the same results or breaks as last season. Big deal. roll on next season with a decent pitch and maybe a couplle of new signings and it'll be the best motherwell side in 41 years :D

As good as that team was, it never managed a 3rd or 2nd place finish in the league, a cup (or even a cup final) or European football.

However, as others have pointed out, McGhee never made these claims, so people are reacting to something that wasn't said.

Like Fal_Dosser, Special and others I have watched Motherwell for all of those 40 years that is being referred to (if misquoted) in this thread and I have to agree with MM - last season some of our football was simply mesmerising (a bit like saturday's tactical formation :blink: ) and probably the best I have witnessed in 40 years.

All the teams from the eras quoted had their own special traits and there were some good teams during that period. There was a time I would have argued till you were blue in the face that the best team of that era was Ian St John's team - the first Motherwell team I saw winning against Celtic - strong and aggresive, with skill (but certainly not as smooth a unit as the team of last season).

The games already mentioned last season - Hibs (LC), Aberdeen, Dundee Utd were all great performances, but the one that stood out for me was the last match of the season at Easter Road. Admittedly there was nothing to play for, but the team knocked the ball around with abandon - fast, fluid, skilful, attacking and entertaining and in terms of skill and overall team play was one of the finest performances from a Motherwell team. Yes there have been more important results throughout the 40 odd years, but none to my eyes that will be bettered than that night.

Got to agree though that the McGhee comments are over the top and would rather have him here than any of the other managers within the SPL at the moment.

I dont see where anything he has actually said could be construed as BS !

I have been going to The 'Ark for over 30 years, and I have to agree with him that i have witnessed some of the best overall team performances in the last 2 seasons. FACT !!

last season especially, we simply ripped the opposition to shreds, and as a lifelong Well fan, that was something that I had waited my whole life to see !!!

Glad McGhee is here , and I'm hopeful that he's here for a long time to come !

I have seen some dross served up over the years, but since Mcghee has been here, I look forward to every game more than usual, granted we have off days (who doesn't??), but generally the football played under him has been far more attractive than anything I've watched in the last 30 years !

here's to a good few more sesons with McGhee at the helm !!!