Alex Mcleish Change Opinion?

the fox

Well he did fail in stopping their relegation too.

From what I have seen, he seems to be a decent coach, likes his teams to play football, and is okay at dealing with the media side of things. What he has proved at all of his clubs, however, is that he is pretty useless at spending money to build his own team.

He took wee Tommy's team to 2nd in the SPL (with decent coaching) and then destroyed us when brought in his own personnel. He ran down the Hibs squad in a similar fashion.

It's also the reason he did a decent shift as the Scotland manager, as it was all about making good use of the resources available rather than having spend money to buy players.

He was a novice when at Fir Park. It would be churlish to suggest that he's learned nothing in the last 14 years he's been a manager. He's probably a better manager now than he was then. Doesn't make him a great manager. And doesn't mean I'll remember his time at Fir Park with any more fondness...

he is and has always been a tosser of the highest order, the ultimate media darling who buys all the tabloids on a daily basis to see whats written about him, then throws a huff if someone writes a bad article about him.

yet again this week he speaks to the press about his future....oh sorry a leaked story to the press...yeh right alex!! just incase his side blow it on the final day of the season and he can leave before he gets sacked, siting indifferances between him and his interfering board, so he can leave to get another half decent job as people still think his stock is high!!

he did make a muck of things at motherwell and left us in a complete mess even though he spent a fortune on sub standard players. ive spoken to a couple of ex motherwell players who were there during mcleish's time and they also think of him as a twat!!

anyway i'll not reserve judgement on him at all, he's a cock and an extremely fortunate one at that!!

ps, dont get me started on his stuttering imbecile of a sidekick...andy watson!!

he is and has always been a tosser of the highest order, the ultimate media darling who buys all the tabloids on a daily basis to see whats written about him, then throws a huff if someone writes a bad article about him.

yet again this week he speaks to the press about his future....oh sorry a leaked story to the press...yeh right alex!! just incase his side blow it on the final day of the season and he can leave before he gets sacked, siting indifferances between him and his interfering board, so he can leave to get another half decent job as people still think his stock is high!!

he did make a muck of things at motherwell and left us in a complete mess even though he spent a fortune on sub standard players. ive spoken to a couple of ex motherwell players who were there during McLeish's time and they also think of him as a twat!!

anyway i'll not reserve judgement on him at all, he's a cock and an extremely fortunate one at that!!

ps, dont get me started on his stuttering imbecile of a sidekick...andy watson!!

Cant disagree with that, I too know a couple of players who were at Fir Park when McLeish was there and they have nothing but contempt for the guy. From what I hear from Birmingham as well his jacket appears to be on a shoogly nail, more than a couple of players are whispering in Karen Brady's ear and she seems to have taken against him in a big way. The problem with Mcleish is, he will take you to a certain level but after that when yopu need to bring inj new and better players, you better bring in a new and better manager, because McLeish just hasn't got what it takes in that department. Hemdry, May, McSkimming ffs. If Birmingham want to consolidate in the premiership they need a quality manager and that is not McLeish.

This guy had more money to spend whilst manager at FP than anyone before or since, close to £1 Million if memory serves and blew it. Some of his purchases -

Andy (he's my brother-in-law) Roddie...........£100,000

Sean McSkimming.....................................£150,000

Mitchel Van Der Gaag................................£500,000

I think we at least re-couped most of the Van Der Gaag money when he was transferred out.

Hendry, May, McSkimming ffs.

:D Back to the counselling for me then, thought I had got over it til you said the name, deal of the century that was :lol::lol::)

Oh Aye Mcleish, he's just a lucky Mo Malpas :D

Edit : In Eddie Mays defence he might have been all right in the correct position :D

Wasn't McSkimming the waste of around £400,000?!??! Pretty sure of it. I was, and still am, angry at McEck going to Hibs. All that pis* about them being a bigger team with more potential at a time when they were favourites for the drop (and, sure enough, down they went). Man had the kind of budgeT McGhee could only dream of, and wasted more or less every penny.

Edit - Oh aye, forgot about what he did to us regarding Kid Kirk. Eddie May???? FFS....... :lol:

Cannot stand the Media Darling. He got more to spend than every other MFC manager put together, and took us from 2nd top to 2nd bottom in the process, then took Hibs down, then took the Buns from Treble Winners to Big Fat Zero winners, then took Scotland from Table Toppers to 3rd, and then took Birmingham down.

He's a Legend.

Fair play to him for gaining promotion, as that's nothing to be sniffed at. However I didn't like or respect him when he was here for blowing large sums of money on the likes of John - he's played alongside Klinsmann you know - Hendry, Shaun McSkimming, Andy Roddie and for being the person responsible for bringing Stephen Gerard Woods esq. to Motherwell Football Club, aswell as transforming us from a team capable of finishing 2nd to avoiding relegation by the skin of our teeth in twelve short months, and who then fucked off to Hibs as soon as they approached him.

I don't doubt that he's improved as a manager since then but regardless of that, the media never print one bad word about him despite his many, many faults and that is still the case to this day.

But hey, give me him over Boris Backpass and his 'Donald Duck' any day of the week. :whistling:

Anyone else wants to join the Bandwagon called "We hate everyone who left Fir Park"??

He took over B'ham when they were more or less doomed already and evryone knew it would be a hard task to keep them up. Is it not a very rare happening that a relegated team has gone up right away?

I think he is a decent manager, by all means not a great one. He must be doing something right...

As for someone who has spoken to some Ex Motherwell players: I have done the same and not only the obvious, they mostly think he is a good manager...

If ever there was a case to not have anyone cut their teeth at your club, Eck is that man. Not saying he's not a good manager, he should never have taken over at Fir Park.

Anyone else wants to join the Bandwagon called "We hate everyone who left Fir Park"??
I think the reasons for not liking him are well documented in this thread. He took a team that was capable of finishing second, threw a huge (for Motherwell) wadge of cash at it, and transformed it into a team that barely avoided relegation.

And make no mistake, when he joined Birmingham his first task was to avoid relegation.

Like I said, he seems to be decent coach, but lacks the ability to build a team. Something that will likely cost Birmingham dear as they try to consolidate in the EPL.

Will never forgive him for selling the White Pele and McGrillen PLUS £100k to bring Eddie May to Fir Park. He should've been chased for that alone!

He also thought it was a good idea to sell O'Donnell to Celtic before we played Dortmund.

Imagine what Tomy McLean could've done with the money that was given to McLeish?!?!

He took over what is widely regarded the best Motherwell team any of us have ever seen and slowly but surely destroyed it as he added his own players. Although I quite liked that centre half Rob Newman we had on loan for a bit.

To move to then relegation rivals Hibs at a crucial stage in the season was shocking really!

Rangers fans will argue he won them two league titles which he did, but 1 was on goal difference on the final day and the other was Skippy Sunday which wasn't so much won as thrown away. Not by the convincing winning margins Celtic had been dishing out. Even look at the signings he made with Rangers!! (I'm sure a statto can provide us with a few examples!)

I'm pretty sure he was out of work when the allegedly great honour of managing his country came calling, and despite glorious failure, I think he could've done much better during his time in charge with Scotland regarding team selection away to Georgia and the wrong choice of subs v Italy. And then like Waldo, escaped any criticism at all from the main stream Scottish media for deserting the cause at the first club that came calling.

Fair play for winning promotion with Birmingham, but if he does leave, he's played a very cute game once again in maintaining he appears to be a successful manager.

He probably is a much better manager than he was when he was with us, and as much as I think he quite often talks a good game, I'll always hate him.

We should be grateful he moved when he did he managed to take Hibs down and we stayed up.

It is though, and I'm sure I've posted this before, his signing of John Hendry that I cannot fathom how anyone could trust him with any sort of transfer budget.

John Hendry played two games for Dundee and they loaned him out to Forfar he played 10 games and scored 6 goals and Terry Venables, no less, paid £50k to take him to Spurs in 1990. He played 1 full game for Spurs and one as a sub and that was his entire Tottenham career. In the five years he was there they loaned him out to Swansea and Charlton and various others but he never got near the first team again. So picture the scene, Spurs have a boy on their team whose experience at any level over 5 years is minimal they paid £50k for him but they have already written that off and would be willing to hand him over to anyone who will pay his fare. What does McLeish do, does he drive a hard bargain ask them to cover part of his wages for the first six months? No, he walks in offers £200k and Spurs bite the hand of him.

£200k for a nonentity that's played less than two games in 5 years and only cost them £50k. The laughter still rings around White Hart Lane when the name McLeish is mentioned.

In my opinion in almost 40 years our worst manager ever. Even when he went to Hibs the media declared their darling would have kept them up if he had left earlier, even although he beat us at Easter Road Hibs were still same amount of points behind us at the end of the season as they were when he left. As stated by many, took over a cracking Well team, probably the best in my lifetime, maintained them for a season at top end of league took the plaudits and we then plummeted when he brought in his own signings. His only good signing was Valakari who he brought in on a free after he had sqaundered all the money. His astute eye for a player continued at Greyskull and he must have been lucky with Scotland. The achievement of bringing Brum out of the Championship automatically by the skin of their teeth must be tempered by a look at his massive budget in comparison to the teams challenging up there with good managers, Coyle, Irvine........ Warnock :whistling: ..... Go Eagles

Never has there been a bigger traitor than alex mcleish since judas himself kissed jesus on the cheek!!!!!!

It's not about achievements what he has or hasn't done or his ability to make decent signings!!!

The man attempted to destroy the club who gave him his first crack at a managerial job.

It backfired big time for him then!!! once a prick alway a prick!!!

McSkimming £350k, Van Der Gaag £400k of which we recouped around £150k when we sold him on. Hendry £200k, Roddie £100k, Howie £200k, Woods £150k, Eddie May £100k + Mowgli + Kirky, so over £1.5m spent on utter shite, while turning away Ole Solskjaer (will never be a good striker! :whistling: ), Sami Hyypia and a fair few others. The man wouldnt know talent if it jumped up and skelped him in the coupon.

He took a good team and ruined it, did th esame with Hibs, and Rangers, was never impressive wi Scotland and got Brum relegated and this season scraped automatic promotion(they were runaway favourites to walk the championship with the strongest squad by a mile).

Always has been and always will be Pish, just seems to be a talent of his, the reverse Midas touch, everything he touches turns to shite!

I remember once talking to him outside the Dalziel bar (an opening) in between 2 games against Celtic i thought the L Cup tie was no passion in team and told him so.I must admit i agree with the majority sentiment expressed people at times have questioned McGhee s commitment in that respect i would have him over Eck any day.

Perhaps after next season he will be finished in management but i have hoped this for a while, made his name on back of an outstanding performance in Dortmund which might have had more to with professional pride of the players than anything he done.

To be fair, I think it was the board who wouldn't sanction the £250,000 for Ole Gunner. That apart, the rest is bang on the nose.

Do you really think that the motherwell support hate everyone who has ever left the club? Seriously? There are many people associated with the club who have left over the years and the fans retain a fondness. I am not going to start a list, because I don;t reaaly feel I need to. I am sure we all could name a few right off the top of our heads.

He took wee Tommy's team to 2nd in the SPL

But actually won fewer games, gained fewer points, played poorer football and never seriously challenged Rangers for the Championship (unlike the previous season when we could and possibly SHOULD have won it).

Any grudge I had against McLeish went when he left after that he was someone elses problem but his time at the club was absolutely awful, there's no debate about that.

Still, if I remember correctly his last game in charge was a 6-2 victory over Hibs!

But actually won fewer games, gained fewer points, played poorer football and never seriously challenged Rangers for the Championship (unlike the previous season when we could and possibly SHOULD have won it).

Any grudge I had against McLeish went when he left after that he was someone elses problem but his time at the club was absolutely awful, there's no debate about that.

Still, if I remember correctly his last game in charge was a 6-2 victory over Hibs!

What a game that was!

"We want seven!"

Jim Duffy's last game for the HIVS if memory serves?