Ict

steelboy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

probably the lowest I've ever know for a competetive Motherwell game at Fir Park

There's been worse, a lot worse as St Mirren may be about to find out the First Division sorts out the wheat from the chaff. I've seen us play in front of less than 1,000 after relegation then only 2,000 in Premier matches. It's not just us though, in fact Hearts held the record lowest at one point for under a thousand in a Premier League game so put in prespective last night wasn't so bad, disappointing though it was.

You've also got the problem that a reduction further reduces the value of the Season Ticket which isn't a good idea at all when you're trying to sell them for next season.

Spot on Flow. I heard quite a few season ticket holders complain bitterly last night about reduced PATG prices this season. Another one might have caused a riot!

Damned if we do and damned if we don''t!!

More like a pre season friendly tonight, but we did secure 7th spot and didn't pick up any cards either.

Probably deserved the draw. We had a fair bit of pressure but as so often this season couldn't convert that into chances. Poor defending and especially on our left side yet again cost us. The midfield was very lightweight until Klimpl came on and looked intimidated by ICT's aggression.

Buzz again had an erratic game but what was more worrying was that Michael Fraser did not look at all happy in the air. :rolleyes:

Stephen Hughes had a poor game and I have to say looked largely disinterested.

No stand outs but Davie Clarkson put in a good shift as did Paul Quinn.

Worrying though that John Sutton & Davie Clarkson just don't look like a partnership.

We'll need to put out a strong team on Saturday as Accies will be fighting for their lives and will take no prisoners.

clarkson was awful didnt look interested at all

Buzz again had an erratic game but what was more worrying was that Michael Fraser did not look at all happy in the air. :rolleyes:Got to agree! I was thinking the same about Fraser when I seen him on TV last week and last night confirmed that we have another keeper that will not come for cross balls.

Stephen Hughes had a poor game and I have to say looked largely disinterested. Did not have a fantastic game but was not the worst on the park.

No stand outs but Davie Clarkson put in a good shift as did Paul Quinn. What game were you watching Clarkson was by far the worse player on the park only contibution was for our 2nd goal.

Worrying though that John Sutton & Davie Clarkson just don't look like a partnership. Got to agree we need to find another partner for Sutton.

Worrying though that John Sutton & Davie Clarkson just don't look like a partnership. Got to agree we need to find another partner for Sutton.

Or we can just find another partner for Clarkson. With Hughes ready to leave in the summer he'll easily be our key player next season. And probably the player with most ability. You don't get called up for Scotland for fuck all.

I hope Henry McLeish was taking notes - "ICT on a Wednesday night with other live games on telly = bad idea".

Thing is, Inverness had to play someone this midweek, home or away. Not much the SPl can do when they've allowed games to be shown live on both nights. Obviously if ICT and Aberdeen end up in the same half of the league, it makes it easier but I don't think much could have been done about Wednesday's attendance. Short of us really being in the relegation struggle, the crowd was alwasy going to be poor...

True, but there's no reason they couldn't schedule all the post-split games for a weekend (by playing another pre-split game midweek when they have more control over who plays each other). At the very least they could keep the rule that you don't show live SPL games on telly at the same time other SPL games are being played. It might not made that much if a difference in this case, but we need all the help we can get.

Alternatively, get rid of the split and have more control over the schedule in the first place.

Buzz again had an erratic game but what was more worrying was that Michael Fraser did not look at all happy in the air. ;)Got to agree! I was thinking the same about Fraser when I seen him on TV last week and last night confirmed that we have another keeper that will not come for cross balls.

Stephen Hughes had a poor game and I have to say looked largely disinterested. Did not have a fantastic game but was not the worst on the park.

No stand outs but Davie Clarkson put in a good shift as did Paul Quinn. What game were you watching Clarkson was by far the worse player on the park only contibution was for our 2nd goal.

Fraser was dropped and replaced, rightly so, by RYAN ESSON. Basically he is not first team material and if he starts next season then we could be in a bit of bother.

Davie Clarkson did fine the other night, but if virtually your entire midfield doesn't kick a ball there isn't much a forward can do about it. As for his only contribution being setting up a goal, I'm not sure is entirely factual but what would you rather he do? Do 500 keepie uppies on the centre circle? He set up our equaliser and scored two goals at the weekend and he still gets it in the neck from some people.

As for Sutton/Clarkson 'not looking like a partnership' well they have scored 24 goals between them this season which isn't a bad return and Sutton has the same number of league goals this season as St. Porter with only a couple more games played (3 to be precise). He might look lumbering and lazy but his goal rate is actually pretty good. The facts are we looked much more dangerous with Sutton/Clarkson up front than with Sheridan/Clarkson. If McGhee hadn't made that substitution we would have lost so again give the players some credit.

And then Fraser was brought back into the side at the expense of Ryan Esson. Fraser is a serviceable SPL goalie and will do just fine, we are Motherwell and can't attract keepers like Boruc, McGregor etc

I actually quite like the split. Obviously I wish we didn't have it this season as it's ruined our chances of getting into Europe properly, etc, but it did add a bit of excitement to the St Mirren game (pre split). It's not the split's fault that Motherwell made a total arse of it and didn't turn up on the day.

Frazzle

On the issue of the split, it does create a bit of false excitement in the run up to it. The problem is that it also highlights the fact that your team might have meaningless games. There have been many seasons when Motherwell haven't had much to play for in the last few weeks. But I don't recall people saying in as great a number "Ach, we're playing for nothing, I'll not bother going..." before this season...

On the issue of the split, it does create a bit of false excitement in the run up to it. The problem is that it also highlights the fact that your team might have meaningless games. There have been many seasons when Motherwell haven't had much to play for in the last few weeks. But I don't recall people saying in as great a number "Ach, we're playing for nothing, I'll not bother going..." before this season...

I can't remember if it was on here or for the programme a few weeks back but I remember writing much the same. The split has changed perceptions of success and failure for middle ranking teams.

Clearly if you are going for the title or europe or are fighting for your lives the split isn't going to mean that much at all but if you a team that's 7th or 8th and have missed out on the top half, then there are some who view that as failure. Fifteen years you might still have been playing out 4 or 5 meaningless end of season games but folk just carried on watching them anyway without giving it much thought. Now it seems like you've failed and some don't want to be associated with that.

Exactly, the season ends 5 games early for too many folk now, we created the post season friendly the minute we signed up to this daft notion. It's inherently unfair given the problems trying to please everyone with an equal round of fixtures, too complicated for it's own good. Simple league format everyone knows where they stand, and you can organise your poty dance/trip to your 2nd team down South/mates trip up here in plenty time to take advantage of cheap train fares (delete as necessary) well in advance.

I agree with you on the 'I'll not bother' brigade. What amazing activities have all these guys got lined up on Saturday between 3pm and 5pm? Bungee jumping? Jet backpack testing? High wire balancing over the Grand Canyon?

Support your team! I actually quite enjoyed watching Motherwell without all the gut mangling tension that I usually have to endure!

I'd keep the split, although its not worked out for us this season, and I'd add a relegation play off, the 2nd bottom side should play the 2nd top side in the First Division.

Part of the reason for the apathy is really the cost is too much in a recession for people to pay for when the game is of little or no consequence to our team. Happy to pay £20 for a meaningful game when fighting for our lives, Europe or whatever but not for a dead rubber at Falkirk. Football partly brings it on itself as it costs too much but thats not really the debate. I like the split as to me 12 is the right size for the SPL and it gives you the right number of games. Its not ideal and has flaws but to me for the country size and quality we have it is the least bad solution.

Just viewed the 'highlights' of ICT game and it was interesting to note that both ICT goals again resulted from some classic 'Micky Mouse' defending from Messrs Hammell, Quinn and Reynolds. Apologies to Micky Mouse.

Ah, some things just never change!!! :cheers:

Just viewed the 'highlights' of ICT game and it was interesting to note that both ICT goals again resulted from some classic 'Micky Mouse' defending from Messrs Hammell, Quinn and Reynolds. Apologies to Micky Mouse.

As I said after the game both goals really came from our left flank, as they have done on many occasions this season. Opposing managers are well aware of this weakness.

The goal we lost against St Mirren last Saturday was a bit different but still a defensive disaster.

Whatever else we need to strengthen our defence for next season. Irrespective of departures, we need to bring in a new left back.

And where would you put Hammell, once again our most attacking threat? I wish we had an Attacking midfielder that would do as much as Hammell to create goals

The problem is that he creates significantly less goals than he causes. Where would I play him? I'd try him at wide left midfield for a run of games. He's played there a couple of times but struggled positionally. On the last occasion he played there he persistently wandered into the centre and I'd be tempted to give him a run there as well.