Firpark Grass

ForthThistle

I thought it useful to update everyone on the plans for the pitch over the coming weeks.

Works starts here on Sunday 24th with strip off of all the top material. That will take about 2 days to remove, we then have to further expose the main heating pipes by digging down and removing additional materials around the pipes.

By the middle of next week we will be turning our attention to the drainage system by re-grafting all existing 9 drains on the pitch (essentially digging them out, overhauling and modernising them) thereafter we are installing a further 10 drains and additional drainage measures which will more than double what we have at the moment That work should be finished on or around the 3rd June.

Then for me the really interesting elements of the project start to happen, the park will take delivery of the new sub materials that build the pitch base and that will take between 4 and 5 days to install and grade. The undersoil heating pipes then get replaced, these are installed after the park is laid out, channels are dug out and the pipes are drawn through and guided by laser so we know exactly where they are. The system is then tested and commissioned and the channels back filled to cover the pipes. We are installing new linesmans runs with artificial grass for longevity and then, on or around the 13th June, the pitch is seeded and fertilised. We have invested in new germination covers to use throughout the coming seasons and these will be used straight away once seeded to bring the grass through stronger and quicker.

All contractors should be off site by the 15th / 16th June.

There is obviously more involved and the above is just a summary. Suffice to say we all have quite a busy summer ahead of us but rest assured we are working hard to give our team and supporters the very best playing surface we possibly can.

Alan B will keep you all posted on the official site.

Leeann

just one question, are the contractors also rectifying the slope?????

The pitch is being levelled however that does not mean that the slope is going. Levelling means that the playing surface will be level relative to other parts of the pitch - with various works done over the years the surface is actually on 3 or 4 levels (albeit it small variations but there all the same). If you could imagine replacing parts of your lawn over the years you never get it all exactly level unless it is all ripped up. That is what we have the opportunity to do now.

Estimates vary on the slope, I have been told that it is as much as 7 feet, others say 4 and a half and I won't know for sure until the work is completed where it finally sits but don't expect to see it gone, the work and cost to do so is just so prohibitive.

just one question, are the contractors also rectifying the slope?????

An interesting summary by Leeann. I doubt if any contractor could rectify the slope as we've discussed before. If they were to level it completely then the POD Stand side would be somewhere between 4' and 7' which simply isn't feasible. That said perhaps they could level it and raise it slightly, but I'd have thought by no more than 6" at its lowest point.

the main question is....... will this save Ice Rink from his deep depression??????? or will that only happen once the stairs are painted?

I know it is a stupid thing to be happy about, but after years of silence it is great to get communication from the club on what is going on. take a bow Leeann, and we will all support you in your quest for a pay rise.

Lee