Mark Brown?

MuffDiver_92

With Celtic possible having 3 keepers for next season(Boruc, Zaluska and Cervi if he signs), would be guessing that Mark Brown would leave.

Just wondering for some opinions if we would take him back, especially with Smith possibley leaving. I know we have Fraser on a pre-contract but a wee bit of Competition never hurt anyone :cheers:

The only thing i can see wrong would be his wages, possible transfer fee and maybe his ambition to try somewhere else like down south.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing i can see wrong would be his wages, possible transfer fee and maybe his ambition to try somewhere else like down south.
But apart from that, no other problems? :cheers:

If we are looking for another keeper, I'd be happy to see him back.

I don't think any of that will be a problem. I think what Welldel says may be the biggest stumbling block. If Buzz leaves though, would love to see him between the sticks for us again.

Everyone is going on about Fraser being here next season. That may not be the case.

Apparently Tel is trying to get him to change his mind as pre contract agreements aren't legally binding.

We could be yet on the lookout for 2 keepers. If that's the case Brown should definitely get a shout.

Everyone is going on about Fraser being here next season. That may not be the case.

Apparently Tel is trying to get him to change his mind as pre contract agreements aren't legally binding.

We could be yet on the lookout for 2 keepers. If that's the case Brown should definitely get a shout.

Was there not a rumour that we offered him wages of around £2k and ICT only offered him £700. Dont see him changing his mind then. Then again Footballers dont care about the money apparently. :cheers:

Yeah, but in order for that to be the case, then I am sure that both parties have to agree to it.

So, if Fraser wants to back out, we have to let him back out.

As if you look back to when Rangers had the pre-contract agreement with Boumsong/Auxerre. Liverpool started sniffing after he had signed with Rangers. Boumsong + Agent then realised that going somewhere other than Glasgow would have been better. But, due to Rangers having the deal signed, they were in no position to back out of this deal. Six months later, they inherit £8m.

Same goes for Rudi Skacel, slight difference that it wasn't a pre-contract, but that they had a fixed fee at the end of his loan spell from Marseille. Hearts decided to take up the low fee that was agreed before his loan spell. Skacel became a permanent signing for Hearts then right away was promptly sold to Southampton for a couple of million. Despite Skacel never wanting to sign for Hearts as clubs were wanting to get him on the cheap from Marseille rather than pay a few extra million to Hearts. But, Skacel was unable to back out the deal either.

So, I think Motherwell + Fraser would have to come to an agreement, perhaps we could free him up if we could find an alternative etc.

Tell that to John Obi Mikel, Chelsea and Man Utd!
That was (an alleged) contract though, not a pre-contract. If any player decided they didn't want to come to Fir Park after agreeing a pre-contract, I doubt McGhee would force them. We don't want anybody here that doesn't want to play for the club.

Mark Brown was/is an excellent keeper whom Eric Black dropped for fuck all after a half mistake when coming for a corner in a cracking 2-2 draw with Rangers in December 2001. Wasn't even that bad a mistake! He never regained his place and when the club went into administration was deemed surplus to requirements. We then had to suffer more of Stevie Woods, who I don't think was ever dropped despite his catalogue of errors!

I'd take Mark Brown back in a heart beat!

I heard whisper at the ICT game that Mark was on MMG's wanted list for the summer. Word is that Celtic are willing to let him go and he is keen to kick on his career with the financial backing he now has from his time at Parkhead.

To me John Boyle may be the biggest stumbling block to getting him back after past treatment.

Mark Brown was/is an excellent keeper whom Eric Black dropped for fuck all after a half mistake when coming for a corner in a cracking 2-2 draw with Rangers in December 2001. Wasn't even that bad a mistake! He never regained his place and when the club went into administration was deemed surplus to requirements. We then had to suffer more of Stevie Woods, who I don't think was ever dropped despite his catalogue of errors!

I'd take Mark Brown back in a heart beat!

Disagree a bit there. I always thought Brown was as every bit erratic as Stevie Woods in his time in the side.

What he did have on his side was his youth and the potential to go on and become a goalie of some repute - which he has gone on to do. But I didn't think there was much between them at that point.

Like you though Milo, though I'm not sure if he would contemplate coming back while John Boyle's still around, I wouldn't be against him returning either.

While its neither here nor there as regards Brown I'd also say that Woods got dropped loads times during his time at Motherwell. Look at the keepers who came and went - I can think of Brown, Kaven, Howie, Goram and Dubordeaux that competed with Woods.

Would take Brown over Fraser any day of the week. I felt he was harshly treated by Eric Black and remember that Butcher was his assistant so a move back to ICT might not be likely. Woods was kept on during administration because he was the cheap option-nice guy but a poor poor keeper-we would have been much smarter keeping Brown but his face just didn't seem to fit.

It would be great to see him back for us.

That was a brutal time and brutal decisions were (and had to be) taken. Mark was one that I really felt for at the time.

I hope if it is a possibility that it all could be sorted out. it would be a great gesture on both sides if it came to be.

Probably one of the most one sided 'possible signing' threads I've read on here too which unusual.

I'd say the only goalie Woods was ever dropped for regardless of form was Goram. The others were all goalies that were competing for the number 1 jersey along with Woods over the years. But I see what you mean.

That said, Goram was probably the only goalie in history to be dropped to appease the Mhankies mock outrage! But that's another story....

i'd like to see brown back at fri park - think he would be interested seein as he's from Motherwell so could be tempted by two years back at the club. He could do what Stephen Hughes has done and come back to his hometown club to revise career. I think Brown would have been happy to continue sittin on the bench for celtic but that won't be happening next year (Unless boruc departs).

I think this year we'll be after the same names as last summer, probably on loans as wages would be too hefty :

Simon Lappin, Chris Killen, John Kennedy & Alan Gow (all at relegated norwich this season), maybe even Mark Fotheringham who is a free agent