Mark Brown?

MuffDiver_92

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just as long as soley and mamman aren't mentioned.

anyone know what happened to the two african world beaters?

Soley had a trial with Norwich City, don't think it came to anything though so he'll proably be back for another trial this pre season

Mark Brown was/is an excellent keeper whom Eric Black dropped for fuck all after a half mistake when coming for a corner in a cracking 2-2 draw with Rangers in December 2001. Wasn't even that bad a mistake! He never regained his place and when the club went into administration was deemed surplus to requirements. We then had to suffer more of Stevie Woods, who I don't think was ever dropped despite his catalogue of errors!

I'd take Mark Brown back in a heart beat!

He was treated absolutely disgracefully by the club. I mean it's bad enough he was made redundant but to be relegated to 2nd fiddle to Stephen Gerard Woods when he barely put a foot wrong was ridiculous. I don't know what the story with Eric Black and him was, but there was no explaination as to why he was dropped and Woods kept his place despite his first or 2nd game back in the side being an absolutely calamitous performance at home against St.Johnstone on Boxing Day of that season when he was beaten at his near post twice I think as we lost 2-1.

I mean it's bad enough he was made redundant but to be relegated to 2nd fiddle to Stephen Gerard Woods when he barely put a foot wrong was ridiculous.

I too quite liked Mark Brown, but to be fair he was not universally liked. On a few occasions I had my work cut out defending him with others in East Stand. Quite a few Dossers would take issue with us MJC.

I too quite liked Mark Brown, but to be fair he was not universally liked. On a few occasions I had my work cut out defending him with others in East Stand. Quite a few Dossers would take issue with us MJC.

Of course, he wasn't without his faults, as he was very suspect at dealing with cross balls. However he wasn't any worse than Woods was and he was dropped in favour of him so I just couldn't see the logic in that.

My recollection is that Eric Black preferred Dubourdeaux to Brown. Mind you, Black always seemed to think French was best. Whereas the only French player I really took to was Yann Soloy...

Brown was prone to the odd howler as much as Woods, Woods had previous so this counted x2 against him.

What about yon boy from Le Havre? Delameaux? He wisnae shite either.

Good player. Couldn't take to him though. Always seemed to think he was better than he was. Least that was how he came across on the field...

Correct Greg - and off the field too by all accounts. A player doesn't just require talent he needs to be part of the team not just on, but also off, the pitch

And David Ferrere was the other one of course. Scored a hat trick on his debut against Hibs as a 2nd half substitute and then did absolutely nothing for the remainder of the season.

In the case of Francois Dubourdeau, he was also a vastly over rated goalkeeper by some of our fans (including myself at one point I must confess). Apart from the game against Rangers when he played a blinder, he really didn't cover himself in glory and I'm sure he had an absolute stinker when we got gubbed 3-0 at Firhill by Partick near the end of 02/03? Still, he was the man between the sticks the last time we actually beat the Ibrox mob and he played a big, big part in that so I suppose he wasn't all bad.

I think this year we'll be after the same names as last summer, probably on loans as wages would be too hefty :

Simon Lappin, Chris Killen, John Kennedy & Alan Gow (all at relegated norwich this season), maybe even Mark Fotheringham who is a free agent

Wouldn't object to any of the names you mentioned there arriving at Fir Park (Gow is the one I'd be least enthusiastic about). On the subject of wages/loans though, I read somewhere that Fotheringham had been let go and I'm sure Kennedy's contract at Celtic is up this summer so surely they'd be free agents. Bring in Fotheringham for Hughes and sell Reynolds, replacing him with Kennedy? I'm sure the wages saved by Porter, Malcolm, Kilmpl and Hughes not being here would cover these guys. And any signing on fees would be covered by any fee we could get for Reynolds.

I make it sound so simple... :lol:

Wouldn't object to any of the names you mentioned there arriving at Fir Park (Gow is the one I'd be least enthusiastic about). On the subject of wages/loans though, I read somewhere that Fotheringham had been let go and I'm sure Kennedy's contract at Celtic is up this summer so surely they'd be free agents. Bring in Fotheringham for Hughes and sell Reynolds, replacing him with Kennedy? I'm sure the wages saved by Porter, Malcolm, Kilmpl and Hughes not being here would cover these guys. And any signing on fees would be covered by any fee we could get for Reynolds.

I make it sound so simple... :D

Remember that Hughes and Porter's wages were part-covered by JB from his pocket though. I honestly don't see that being an option this time round.

Remember that Hughes and Porter's wages were part-covered by JB from his pocket though. I honestly don't see that being an option this time round.

I'm only too aware of that, hence the :unsure: . Even given Boyle's part-funding of their salaries, there should still be more cash available in terms of salaries this summer than last given last summer we only lost McCormack off the wage bill...

Even given Boyle's part-funding of their salaries, there should still be more cash available in terms of salaries this summer than last given last summer we only lost McCormack off the wage bill...

Melvin, what about the alleged pricing restructure of the Setanta TV deal? I know nothing official has been said but if it is true that it has decreased, then maybe that is why we are struggling a bit as opposed to last year? Unfortunately the farce of a pitch and the work to the Main Stand seem to have swallowed up our whole transfer budget.

Hughes + Porter wages were PART covered, judging by the extra £1m added onto this years wage bill according to the AGM financial figures a fair portion was covered by the club itself (yes there was MMG + Leitch`s new deals and some bonuses but £20k per week worth? dont think so!) Therefore this cash should be freed up.

Also this scaremongering about the Setanta deal is pish, even with the SPL getting £100m instead of £125m, its STILL almost double our current deal, Id hardly plead poverty!!

Also this scaremongering about the Setanta deal is pish, even with the SPL getting £100m instead of £125m, its STILL almost double our current deal, Id hardly plead poverty!!

Would love to see us sign a couple of decent players but I just don't think it's going to happen. Scrapping around the Bosmans and loan deals is about as much as we can muster.

Exactly, I think the current deal is for around £15m per year. Even after the re-negotiation the new deal will be worth £25m per year although the bigot brothers still hoover up around 40% of it and the rest of us get to run around for the rest like weans at a scramble