• Craig Brown (None) + Young Assistant
    • Davie Hay (Livingston) + Young Assistant
    • Stephen Craigan (Motherwell) - Player/Manager
    • Jim Jeffries (Kilmarnock)
    • Derek Adams (Ross Country)
    • Luc Nijholt (None)
    • Terry Butcher + Maurice Malpas (ICT)
    • A.N. Other

The 5 year plan thing is overstated. He had umpteen different 5 year plans, because for the last 12 months here he never got to find out what his budget was. (Imagine being SPL and having a budget similar to Airdrie)

He never needed money to be successful here, just a club that was run sensibly. I know your man Boyle isn't always Mr Popular, but he's the sort of guy we've been crying out for down here. We don't want squillionaire Arabs round here (if we did, we'd follow everyone else in Stockport and support M#n C##y), just someone with a business head who could keep the club running evenly and give Jimbo a competetive budget would have been nice. Success would have been guaranteed then, I know that much, but it seems he'll find that stability in Lanarkshire instead.

The fact Jim kept us competetive for so long shows he deserves an honorary degree in Human Resources. Those results papered over cracks so big you could climb in and discover some new species.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Jim Gannon is our new man then I am delighted. I have no particular reason for saying this but it just seems to fit.

He has beaten of strong competition and Stockport County fans speak very highly of him. It really had to be someone who is keen to bring on the young players and not rely on money to spend.

I think he is going to galvanise the club and bring back the bond between team and fans that was missing a bit under MM.

Motherwell F.C. Giant Killers.

C'mon the Well!!!

Thanks for the info Charlie. Your quote below is a classic.

"He is a controversial fellow, though. For the last 18 months or so he'd refused to speak to Sky Sports (there's a story that it was because he had a broken Sky box that they wouldn't fix)".

:O:lol::lol:

Thats my kind of manager!

If this is true I think Gannon is probably the one I'd prefer out of that short list. Never impressed by 'names' and Sanchez, Staunton and Boothroyd were just that to me, guys our fans had heard of. Never convinced by any of them that they'd be suitable for our job but yer man Gannon seems to have the right credentials. Fingers crossed JB has pulled another rabbit out his top hat.

"He is a controversial fellow, though. For the last 18 months or so he'd refused to speak to Sky Sports (there's a story that it was because he had a broken Sky box that they wouldn't fix)".

And if that wee story is true he's a legend already :O

I've not really got a clue who's best for the job or indeed who is really in for it other than the speculation on here.

But If it is Jim Gannon and the description gven by Charlietoogood is a fair reflection then I'd be happy with him.

as for the Daily Retard story, just the usual speculation, I have totally given up on buying newspapers, everything printed is available elsewhere and articles nowadays are just cobbled together in the same manner most of the posts on here are by piecing together random snippets.

i.e Clarkson friends & family reports he's already been down to do the deal ....... Motherwell report he's been granted permission but no talks til next week....... grapevine says new manager appointed early next week .... all that equals, new manager to have say on transfers out.

But aye Jimmy Gannons Motherwell Army does appeal to me

Hughes' interview tells me he wants to stay in the central belt. So it's us or Hearts.

And going by the "I haven't ruled out staying at Fir Park" patter, I'd say it's Hearts. Can't remember the last time anyone said they hadn't ruled out staying <anywhere>, and then actually stayed...

This screams to me as JB trying to pull another rabbit out the hat by looking past the 'big names' of Sanchez, Boothroyd et al. It might prove to be another cute piece of business from the guy and would certainly prove he can spot a good manager. Gannon ticks all the traditional boxes, having worked with a shoe-string budget at Stockport and showing faith in youth (which McGhee did NOT btw and we don't have the next batch of Clarkys, Quinns and Renoldses ready yet!!) and he prefers to play football too.

Thing is though, this summer we will actually HAVE a decent budget and need to go out and buy and sign at least SIX or SEVEN players if Clarky goes - More if Quinn and Reynolds go too. Is Gannon the man who has the contacts and market experience to pull off such a recruitment drive??

I don't know.

If you are willing to wait a couple of years for him to get things into place, you will be very, very well set from then on & I completely guarantee future success.

from the p and b site.

Lets hope that he is signed up then for the long term. Seems to be a loyal guy with only stockport going into administration which took him away. Could the ghost just add a bit of spirit to the club and get us back to 3rd. Will be difficult indeed if we lose the players we think we will. Is JB looking at long term for once? I thought Nijholt was the man as he had the record for bringing on the youngsters. Seems that Ghost is the same so good luck to him. If it is a long term thing though we must remember to be patient and give him time. Think he will already be playing catch up with the players we are likely to lose. Will be bloody interesting though.

As a side issue if the cat is out the bag and ganon is the man then why don't we just anounce tomorrow who the new manager is. Whats the point waiting for Monday/nxt week?

Thing is though, this summer we will actually HAVE a decent budget and need to go out and buy and sign at least SIX or SEVEN players if Clarky goes - More if Quinn and Reynolds go too. Is Gannon the man who has the contacts and market experience to pull off such a recruitment drive??

I'm thinking that people are getting carried away with this thought of having a large sum of money to spend in the transfer market

The clubs 2008 accounts reported approx £1.5million from TV and radio and also stated as a positive note in the outlook that the extended deal negotiated with Setanta was worth almost double to the club

We all know that money is not there now, so budgets will have to be adjusted accordingly

the loss of Setanta money leaves a gaping hole in the budget about one third of income based on previous years and it was to be expected it would have been nearer half if the new deal had survived.

So imho folk need to get a grip on expectations as I'd rather see the finances managed correctly, some player money is going to be required as the club is built around a first team squad but after losing a third of your income stream it would be foolish to go and try and even match what had been getting spent in the past

PS not a personal dig Juan K, just your the most recent to post :evilgrin:

actually it says that the contract is still being worked on. Hope it all goes well. Wouldn't want to have to go back to sanchez et al to say actually ganon didnae fancy it you still interested.

Am sure it will be fine though.

Mon the ghost mon the well. Viva the ghost revolution, good youngsters, good chat and good football.

Btw I would not be suprised if Gannon was our new manager within the next few weeks! He does seem the better choice rather than most of the other Ego-maniacs who have "applied" or linked themselves with the job! I wouldn't mind a Nijholt/Craggs combo! But pleeeease not Sanchez or Gaz Mac or Staunton or even friggin Ivan Golac for that!!

Im happy with that :):lol: