Setanta Up Jobby Creek

Juan Kerse

The problem is that we will have been affected more than most. The payments that are due are "top ups". In the top six, all clubs have been paid on the basis of finishing 6th - so Hibs will not have bene affected at all, whilst Rangers have been affected most. In the bottom six, ICT will not have been affected, whilst we've been affected most.

This is not just about Setanta going bust but how the SPL distributes the cash. Would it not have been better to dish out the monies on a proportional basis - i.e every club loses the same amount pro rata?

That said, I'd expect Hamilton and Killie to suffer pretty badly, given their debts.

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found this article.

A £3m bill from the Scottish Premier League has not been paid and this month’s £40m instalmentto the Premier League is looming, while boxer David Haye calling off his world heavyweight fight, due to be screened by Setanta on June 20, is connected to the TV meltdown.

I see the bbc has paid the money to the clubs

No it hasn't - the BBC has reported that the SPL has paid the money to the clubs from their own funds.

Incidentally, ITV will not get involved with the SPL. There is a possibility that stv may be interested as they attempt to get more Scottish content onto the channel, but I don't believe that they would be able to come up with the sort of money the SPL will be looking for. They might be interested in more of a package of selected live games.

Sky or ESPN (buying up Setanta) are the most likely options.

Stuart.

Um, this may be stating the obvious, but aren't Setanta part owned by ESPN now?

I seem to remember NASN (now ESPN I believe) was part of the Setanta group, which was then bought over and rebranded.

I wish we had proper ESPN over here, such a good channel.

ESPN is actually fairly disappointing. I barely watch it at all these days. In the whole of sports there are maybe 10 or 12 "personalities"/teams that they follow. Everything is else is relegated - a bit like searching for for Motherwell articles in the Daily Record etc. It's a shame because they have the scope to do so much yet they stick, as usual, to the lowest common denominator stuff.

Read this in The Guardian today:

"Some, including the FA with its £175m four-year deal and the Premier League (whose contract with Setanta is worth £130m for the broadcast of 46 matches a year) benefit from shareholder guarantees ensuring they will be paid even if the company fails.

It was the absence of those guarantees that caused such financial pain to Football League clubs with the collapse of ITV ­Digital in 2002. Several clubs were forced into insolvency after planning their budgets on forward revenues, indeed often borrowing against them.

Yet despite that experience several sports bodies who sold to Setanta are believed not to have such watertight arrangements with the broadcaster's shareholders"

I wonder if the Scottish footballing authorites were smart enough to insist on the shareholder guarantees.

Reading the last paragraph I would not be shocked if the SPL nor the SFA (for Scotland games) failed to take out the guarantee...

I would, it was well known that was the major cause of clubs landing in teh shit with ITV Digital so I'd be very surpised if the SPL or the SFA had failed to take out that guarantee. I would think if the guaranteee was in place it would also explain why they were so swift to handout the money to clubs from their own coffers after Setanta defaulted.

We were doing the Do I Not Know That quiz and everything was going great....until it all went tits up. They only just managed to finish the competition and that was squeezing the filming in before the plug was pulled. I'm not sure they even managed to air the last couple of proggies. Surprised no-one picked the format up, especially Sky as it was superb fun and quite entertaining.

What about Setanta subscribers? Do we just wait and see, or is it a case of cancelling now ?

If you cancel now and everything stays as it is, you most probably have to pay the reconnection fee of £15. If Setanta goes, so does my subscribtion...

Apart from paying way over the odds for EPL games, I notice the other reason for going tits up is poor customer service. I'll vouch for that. I cancelled at Christmas and have only recently stopped getting pestered to re-connect. I found their service stank. Haven't missed Setanta one bit.

We were doing the Do I Not Know That quiz and everything was going great....until it all went tits up. They only just managed to finish the competition and that was squeezing the filming in before the plug was pulled. I'm not sure they even managed to air the last couple of proggies. Surprised no-one picked the format up, especially Sky as it was superb fun and quite entertaining.

I'm surprised you can remember anything about that, given some of the stories I've heard about it!! ;):lol:;)

If you cancel now and everything stays as it is, you most probably have to pay the reconnection fee of £15. If Setanta goes, so does my subscribtion...

Dear Kylie,,

Thank you for your e-mail.

I am sorry to hear you wish to cancel your subscription with Setanta Sports however, I can confirm that your request will be processed and your subscription will be terminated 30 days from your next billing date.

At Setanta Sports we have the best premium live sport on TV including top flight and international football, the best boxing from both sides of the Atlantic and the UFC exclusively and would love you to continue to enjoy this.

As we want to ensure you don’t miss any of the action over the coming months, we have put together 3 great cost saving options that make Setanta even better value for money. All you need to do is choose which offer you want and call us on 08712 00 73 51.

Option 1 - £5.00 per month for the next 2 months.

Option 2 - £10.99 per month for the next 6 months.

Option 3 - £9.99 per month for the next 12 months.

Why pay £14.99 re-connection fee later this year when you can watch all of our live sport over the coming months and save up to £50. To take advantage of any of these offers you should call now on 08712 00 73 51.

If you have any other queries then please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Services team on 08712 00 33 22 or email us on customerservices@setanta.com. We are open seven days a week between 9am and 9pm.

Yours sincerely,

Rebecca Hanna

Cancellations Dept