Looks Definite Now He's Off !

WELLDAFT

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, well, well. Quelle surprise!! :nod: I said it a long time ago that the appointment of Mark McGhee would lead to trouble. From the day and hour he first set foot in FP he was hell-bent on getting himself a 'better' job.

And also surprise surprise, the silence from FP on the managerial situation is quite deafening given that the manager has been linked with the Celtic and Aberdeen jobs for a few weeks now.

I'll say this much about McGhee, if, and he probably will, fail to deliver what Aberdeen want from him, then he'd better get his pipe and slippers out because it will be the end of his managerial days. With his past record and attitude no club will touch him. Enjoy your 2-year contract while it lasts Mark (if you see it out) because it will be your last. Oh and by the way gtf asap.

exactly the same.

For what its worth I would like to see the board be a bit adventurous and go for Luc Nijholt and Chris McCart as his assistant if possible.

Do you see Leitchy going too then, If MMG has sentimental ties to Aderdeen the Leitchy has similar to us ?

Do you see Leitchy going too then, If MMG has sentimental ties to Aderdeen the Leitchy has similar to us ?

Sorry I should have said if Leitch goes with him. Otherwise keep him in place by all accounts he does a good job and he and Nijholt may work well together.

I hope we don't make an appointment in haste. Invite applications, I know we need someone in before the Euro games but we also want to make sure it's done right.

Aberdeen fans think they have Leitch too, but I don't see anything in the press about it. Leitch was a Boyle appointment while Malpish was manager. Can't see it being two for one tbh. I think Leitch will still be here. Unfortunately I can see Boyle offering Leitch the Manager's job, and although it won't be too bad if we get an experienced Manager/Coach as his number one (like Auld Broony perhaps) it could be a good appointment.

Sorry I should have said if Leitch goes with him. Otherwise keep him in place by all accounts he does a good job and he and Nijholt may work well together.

If he does go then Nijholt/McCart would be a good shout.

Not sure how much truth there is in this but was being told McGhee kinda commutes to and fom Brighton he's obviously here on Match days but much of the time during the week Leitch and Craggs take the training, so presumably Pittodrie is closer to Aberdeen airport than Fir Park is to Glasgow :nod:

Aberdeen fans think they have Leitch too, but I don't see anything in the press about it. Leitch was a Boyle appointment while Malpish was manager. Can't see it being two for one tbh. I think Leitch will still be here. Unfortunately I can see Boyle offering Leitch the Manager's job, and although it won't be too bad if we get an experienced Manager/Coach as his number one (like Auld Broony perhaps) it could be a good appointment.

Not sure about Scott Leitch. He didn't exactly shine at Ross County but to be fair they were in the midst of a financial cutback at that time. Yes, JB specifically brought him back to FP & any new manager was told that SL's position at the club was sacrosanct. In short JB showed some loyalty to him.

All that said he was ready to move to Tynecastle with MMcG. Certainly he has family ties in Motherwell.

As we all know through bitter experience a good No 2 doesn't always make a good manager.

Not sure how much truth there is in this but was being told McGhee kinda commutes to and fom Brighton he's obviously here on Match days but much of the time during the week Leitch and Craggs take the training, so presumably Pittodrie is closer to Aberdeen airport than Fir Park is to Glasgow :nod:

Sadly 'tis what I heard too. For all the flack Tel received, I seem to recall he spent more time at Fir Park than he did at home.

Leitch has no sentimental ies with us. He was ready to head to Tynecastle last summer.

If we are going to go with someone inexperienced, then McCart gets my vote over Leitch.

Just out of curiosity, the folk moaning at the club for not coming out and talking about the gaffer, what exactly is it you feel the club should be saying?

I think they should at least confirm or deny that an official approach has been made .

Is an appeal to that, but would McCart be ready to quit his role at Celtic so soon? Head of Youth development, seems to be a decent gig that he not that long in the door at?

Is an appeal to that, but would McCart be ready to quit his role at Celtic so soon? Head of Youth development, seems to be a decent gig that he not that long in the door at?

Almost certainly Chris McCart is a non starter. He's stated in the past he wants to remain in youth development and has no desire to make the transition into management. Aside from that he will be on a very significant salary at Parkhead.

Def a step backwards in my opinion if he leaves. I know he has history with Aberdeen but if he had another good season with the steelmen he would certainely be on to great things, rather than going to pittodrie.

hope we can't agree on compensation, im positive boyle won't let him go that easy.

hope we can't agree on compensation, im positive boyle won't let him go that easy.

He's away. His misty eyed comments in the paper today are a clear signal to John Boyle saying he wants to go. And no club can seriously consider going forward with a manager who so clearly doesn't want to be at that club...

Def a step backwards in my opinion if he leaves. I know he has history with Aberdeen but if he had another good season with the steelmen he would certainely be on to great things, rather than going to pittodrie.

:rolleyes: Eh? I'll have some of that Jeremy Clarkson you're on. Top Gear!!!

A bigger club, whether we like it or not. Can he take them any further than he performed at Fir Park? Remains to be seen.

Although it's not good for Well, McGhee has made the right decision. During his two years here, he has created high expectations for this club and to be honest will find it very difficult to keep matching them with the playing resources it has to offer. The criticism he got in some quarters for 7th this year, which for me is still overachievement, would have been a useful straw in the wind for him.

He faced a similar decision at his last club Brighton, when after two years in charge there, he led them to their highest place league finish in about 15 years. He had the opportunity to leave then (the rumours were to take the assistant job at Celtic), but decided to stay - and it proved a big mistake because he could not match the absurdly inflated expectations of fans and some board members there, and they hung him out to dry.

Going to Aberdeen, he starts with a new slate and will have a fair-sized honeymoon period. Yes, he will eventually get pressure from the Dons fans if they are not top 4, but that will be a little way down the road - and I would imagine is still a more appealing prospect than the presure that will come if Well do not shape up early season.

These are now difficult times ahead for the club and good luck to Boyle because he now has a hell of a choice to make.

As for McGhee poaching former players, not sure he has much of a record of that. There was the brief tilt for Virgo here which came to nothing. At Brighton he picked up a Millwall cast-off that was not wanted by the south Londoners. Can't remember any former Wolves players at Millwall, although haven't done a thorough check on that.

Good luck Mark and thanks for a superb two years :rolleyes:

Sad to see McGhee go. I was a big fan of his but there was some negatives too. Here is a few of the positives and negatives of McGhee's qualities

Positives

1) The first season. At times Motherwell played some of the best football I have seen a Well side play.

2) The impact was obvious immediately. Jim Paterson and Steven McGarry came back from pre-season actually looking like athletes. Does that say more about the shit regime that was in place before?

2) His handling of the Uncle Phil tragedy. Despite everything else, this is something no Well fan should forget.

3) Qualification for Europe.

4) Articulate with the Press.

Negatives

1) Often his words did not transfer to action (Nancy tie, St Mirren cup, St Mirren last game before the split, getting a Central defender, contacts in Europe etc)

2) There was never a sense of stability while he was around

3) He has left us with a thread bare squad. It is very apparent now that he was not building a Well team for the future, it was for the here and now.

4) The constant flirtation with Celtic, Scotland, Hearts and ultimately Aberdeen.

5) A general contempt for the fans that culminated in him disappearing down the tunnel on the last day of the season.

I think McGhee has been fairly confident that he was leaving Motherwell this summer. He probably thought he was getting the Celtic job. The problems we have been having in the transfer market could be because McGhee could not give assurances to potential signings that he would be around.